Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 01:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
CREDIT CARDS DEBIT CARDS and fraud

long story but its funny, not funny, funny, angering then ....

last month about the 2nd my wifes debit/credit card was used fraudulently at AT&T and Hello Mobile
we did the normal thing, cancelled card, got a new one issued and bank gave us our 500 or so dollars back
we set harder restrictions on our cards , texts notice of use, no RECURRING or AUTO pay. no new accounts with a code from our phones etc. we never had auto pay on any accounts we pay online. NEVER

so when her card was violated the jack wagon set up an account with AT&T with AUTO PAY (which we found out later)
so 12 days later we get another AT&T charge on her NEW debit card, it has a completely new number and had just been activated the day before, she had not even used it yet.

so again i cancel her card and called the bank and subsequently cancelled mine to be safe, request new cards with new numbers etc.

while waiting for them to arrive, i called AT&T and played dumb and got the persons first name and last 4 of his phone number, before the ATT&T figured out i didnt know the test questions to this account. Mind you at the time i did not have an ATT account other than the modem in the truck and it was still on the free part and no credit cards were on file. they had my cell as a secondary number..??? AT&T fraud department is a freaking joke from the get go.

MY bank investigator called me and asked what controls we had on our cards and mentioned a program VIA visa that VISA automatically transmits NEW CARD numbers to merchants you have auto pay with so you the end user does not have interruptions from cards expiring etc.. and we need to OPT out of this service.
OF COURSE I SAID WTH??? who is the smart one that even had that turned on? he said he has found that no one knows of this as its a program between visa and approved merchants.

he removed the permission that i had no idea were there and i still have not found them on my user agreement.

but here is the link to the program offered to approved merchants by VISA, and i suspect all major credit card companies
of course AT&T is an approved merchant...sooooooo you get floocked without even knowing it or a kiss.
so when the ricjardhead opened an AT&T account using my wifes credit card info, he selected auto pay and since AT&T is an approved merchant, VISA did me/us a solid and transmitted new card info to the fraudulent account . WT WHOLLY SANDCASTELS OF HADES is going on? VISA touts security and protect your info, meanwhile they give it out and you may never know.
so you might want to call your visa or other credit / debit card company and make sure you are OPTED out of the service.

https://developer.visa.com/capabilities/vau
" Secure Exchange of Account Updates
Visa Account Updater (VAU) enables a secure electronic exchange of account information updates between participating Visa card issuers and acquirers for credential-on-file merchants, which enables a more seamless payment process.
When participating issuers re-issue cards, they submit the new account number and expiration date to VAU. Participating merchants send inquiries on their credentials-on-file to VAU and are provided with updated card information, if available. This helps participating issuers retain cardholders by maintaining continuity of their payment relationships with participating merchants."

Old 08-04-2022, 01:18 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I had something similar happen to me. Many credit card companies do this as a “convenience” so you don’t have to type in all the new numbers, etc. to your accounts. It’s the same with Apple and other companies with recurring charges.

Here is another little hidden gem….

If you have your credit cards in your Apple Wallet, they automatically get updated as well. So of someone get your information and puts your credit cards in their Apple Wallet, they will be updated when you get issued new ones.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:52 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You would think if these thieves are adding your card numbers to their account that either the mobile company or credit card company could "reverse trace" to identify the crook... who could be prosecuted for credit theft.

In today's digital world that should be EASILY possible!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:59 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Wow gang..I am a 30 year Sr tech and due to this crap we route 99% of our charges to Costco Visa (and get back ,$700 to $2000) yearly on bonus spend.

The others are Amazon prime card 5%

The only way we could stay on top of charges

Good luck my brothers And sisters
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:28 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
The recurring charge industry is a huge profit center for CC companies and the merchants using the services, making it seamless for consumers is the best way to keep the fleecing going.

I used to write CC clearing and recurring charge software. For our customers their end users ended up paying 25-30% more, it was a selling point.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:53 AM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
To be fair, if you knew and opt out, there is still a positive side to this...

Manual update scenario

Melissa asked her bank to opt her out of sharing automatic card updates with merchants. Close to her card’s expiry date, she receives a new card with an updated expiration date. Melissa activates her new card using her bank’s mobile banking app.
Her bank advises her to periodically check in the app to see which merchants are requesting updated card information. Since Melissa opted-out of automatic card updates, no updates will be sent to participating merchants. Instead, she will need to contact the merchants directly to avoid interruptions in payments or service.
A few days later, Melissa checks the app and sees a list of merchants who requested updated card info which reminds her to update the merchants. She calls her cable company to update her payment information and logs into her ride sharing app to update her card on file’s expiration date. Melissa also sees a magazine subscription on the list which she wants to cancel so she contacts the magazine and cancels her subscription. She appreciates knowing which merchants she needs to update (or cancel) with her card-on-file arrangement. She plans to check again in a week to see if additional merchants were added to the list.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
In the times of increased rates we started calling the card companies and told them to lower our rate. When the he hawed about the rate we told them to cancel and close the accounts immediately. No I didn’t talk to their supervisor and did not reconsider.

We never use automatic updates and merchants with recurring billing must contact us for updated info.

Also, from experience we never store personal card info on Amazon or Walmart. Walmart, after they released my email address in a data breach told us they do not have a fraud department.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
ALL

we never had cards stored at amazon, we did find walmart had my wifes card in her walmart.com account which she has not used in years.

so as a blessing we went account by account and purged any bits.
i was paying dish, verizon and my water bill via their respective websites and always NEVER saving the pay info...guess what it popped back up in all three with a few days

really ticked off express cripts because congress mandated a card be on file for all mil retirees that use the mandatory mail order service or a local base

so we updated and with a visa gift card that is not tied to anything but visa. paid cash for it at the store. so in a few months i will have to do it again.

DOD, VA, express scripts all have TERRIBLE data retention issues and breaches, yet as retired military we have to give them data to breach

silver lining is learned alot, and have taken drastic steps to limit information out there . but when i was told about the above program with merchants, i lost my sanity.

we also do all BILL pay now with our bank, so none of the merchants see our card data anymore.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
We had the same thing happen with my wife’s debit card on Netflix, someone in Mexico opened a account on her card, 3 times we changed her card and the only time she used it before it was charged again was at meijer store, but in the end we found out what you said her debit card sent the new numbers to Netflix, so we opted out of that and no more problem.