Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2021, 10:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
Dead Batteries and a Bird

Ok, this strange. I haven’t been to my RV since a few days before Christmas. At that time everything was fine. Batteries were fully charged when I left. Now, today when i got there everything was dead. Batteries were reading 8.5 and even the chassis battery was dead! I did a fast check and it didn’t look like i left anything on or plug in and I’m pretty sure run/stow was in stow! I had to jump the start the RV then I could start the generator and charge the coach batteries. Then I check my coach battery compartment and found this! Bird parts...lots of feathers..no head or big parts. Nothing looks burned or scorched! Just lots of feathers and a wing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A557247A-E54B-449B-852E-7C4BAC5CA0BC.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	27899   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3448722-6772-49CE-88A9-4095953CC495.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	27900  

Old 01-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Could be something used your battery compartment for their dinner table with bird on the menu. Wish I could help, but I don't have any idea why your batteries would have discharged like that. You may want to consider installing knife disconnects on them as many of us have done. On an RV, there is something always wanting to suck up battery juice, even when everything is turned off and in store.
Also, if you solve the mystery, please post your results.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 02:55 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
I'm gonna say the local neighborhood cat had a little snack in your battery compartment; and, you may have accidentally placed your RV in "store".
Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I always disconnect the chassis batteries by flipping the disconnect switch as the last step in storing

The house battery switch is shut off as the second to last step

By having good chassis batteries i can jump the house bank to start the generator if needed

Since upgrading to AGM house batteries a coule years back they maintain voltage much longer