Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Deep cycle batteries

Question all, about a year and a half ago one of my 6 V deep cycle batteries died, what I did was go out and buy just one 12 volt deep cycle battery. It has been working fine since then. My question after reading numerous battery configurations is, am I doing the right thing, is there a better way? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Old 07-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Deep cycle batteries

That’s a tough question to answer without more information.

If you never dry camp and are always plugged into shore power or run a generator, then one 12v battery may be enough. If you have been using the coach this way for the last 18 months, then it probably meets your needs.

If you dry camp, it may not be enough depending on your needs and a second battery in parallel may make sense.

Many 12v deep cycle batteries are really marine batteries designed for both starting and some discharge. So performance of your battery depends on its capacity and what it was designed to do.

The 6V deep cycle batteries are truly designed for applications that discharge the batteries routinely. I have four 6v batteries in my coach.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #3

THOR #3584
Thanks Judge , yeah we usually are plugged in at a campground, the only time we run off the battery is if we stay overnight at a rest area. We do have the automatic generator switch that turns on when the battery runs low and that’s probably every two hours, the generator will run for an hour. Thank you again
Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
What are you running off the battery at a rest area that causes your AGS to kick in after only 2 hours? I wouldn't even think a residential fridge would cause that much draw.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #5

THOR #3584
Unless it’s cold out the only thing we run is the residential fridge
Old 07-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
A Miramar is a big-time rig with lots of things that need power (Residential Fridge, Inverter, lots of lights and gadgets).

I believe that, at a minimum, you need 2 batteries. Preferably 6V as was originally designed when you purchased.

In fact, several Miramar owners on this Forum have added additional batteries + solar (which you did not address).

So in conclusion, I believe that you are underpowered for your RV.
(Says the little Vegas 24.1 with two 12V batteries and a propane fridge)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:45 AM   #7

THOR #3584
Can I add a second 12 volt battery, if that’s the case I would do that. Or should I just return to the original 6V set up?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:54 AM   #8

THOR #13362
Cheapest to purchase a 2nd 12v if same brand. Hopefully your current battery is fairly new.

Although in future, always replace all batteries at same time (that is...the old ones make the new ones not work as well)

Best option...purchase two new 6V. Costco & SAMs have good pricing under $100 each in my experience.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:02 AM   #9

THOR #3584
Yes, the 12 volt is fairly new, but I will replace it with 2
6 volt batteries if that’s the best way. Just a little confused on how 2 6 volt batteries are better than one 12 volt battery
Old 07-10-2020, 02:15 AM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
Yes, the 12 volt is fairly new, but I will replace it with 2
6 volt batteries if that’s the best way. Just a little confused on how 2 6 volt batteries are better than one 12 volt battery
The easiest way is to loom at the size.
Your two 6 volt batteries are much bigger combined, than one 12v battery.
That is the only difference which doesn't take us to laboratoryish small difference and a LOT of false religion.

Your 2 six volt batteries would be equivalent to one 12v of the exact same size. Count the caps. A six volt has three, two six volts equal six and a 12v has six. Same cells, just more of them on a 12v.

You can add a second 12v and have TWICE the capacity and usability of 2 six volt batteries.

Your thinking is clear.

But

Six volt batteries take a hell of a beating and survive. Think rental golf cart type abuse.

Me?
I'd buy a second 12v and increase my reserve and not worry about the six volt having a percentage of life better than the 12v or if the 12v is closer than 2 years in age.

Two 12v's for me.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:20 AM   #11

THOR #3584
Great, thank you all for your advice. I don’t post much on here, but I read the posts and learn a lot. Great forum!!!!
Old 07-10-2020, 02:20 AM   #12

THOR #13362
Search the Google & this Forum.
There’s a reason why THOR installed two 6V in the Miramar.

One last thought...suggest you make sure that all the cables are hooked up correctly.
Two 12v batteries are hooked up differently than two 6V batteries.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:22 AM   #13

THOR #3584
Thank you
Old 07-10-2020, 02:24 AM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Search the Google & this Forum.
There’s a reason why THOR installed two 6V in the Miramar.

One last thought...suggest you make sure that all the cables are hooked up correctly.
Two 12v batteries are hooked up differently than two 6V batteries.

Good luck.
I thought of this but made a bad choice of not mentioning the wiring.
Op should spend the money and have a shop do the swap.

I don't know why they put two six volts.
Maybe a cost cut maybe maybe 2 twelve won't fit.
There isn't an electrical reason in the world for two sixes other than battery capacity vs compartment capacity.

If anyone knows why, I'll like to know.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:17 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
I stuffed 4-12v under my steps. Deep cycle, group 27, 109ah per. Wired them in series for a total of 436ah. Run the gen once a day when dry-camping. If I cook something that needs electric, I do that at the same time. Usually do that for 90min. My gen is manual; no AGS.

Measure your battery box. Whether you go with 6 or 12, it'll tell how much of the other type of capacity you have - space. Then locate batteries with dimensions that will occupy that space.

I went with 4 12s. It's an experiment in setting up for solar I wanted to try. I'll do lithium if I go solar and swap to 6's if I stay with no solar. So far so good.

The space came first. The battery measurements next.

I wired the two back batteries in the 'box' first, added the series wire for the front batteries and wrapped the untied negative end with tape so it wouldn't spark out on the box. Slid them back in place and wired up the front ones. Joined the back with the front for 4 in series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24739  
Old 07-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I thought of this but made a bad choice of not mentioning the wiring.
Op should spend the money and have a shop do the swap.

I don't know why they put two six volts.
Maybe a cost cut maybe maybe 2 twelve won't fit.
There isn't an electrical reason in the world for two sixes other than battery capacity vs compartment capacity.

If anyone knows why, I'll like to know.

Because that motorhome model comes with a standard battery tray large enough for 4 batteries (according to specs), the likely reason for 6V batteries is that Thor was planning ahead for possible battery-capacity expansion. By supplying 2X6V batteries originally, it makes upgrading to 4 batteries at time of purchase (or soon after) easier and cheaper.

When wiring 4 lead-based batteries as one bank, the standard is to use 6-Volt batteries. If Thor installed 2X12V, an upgrade would require 4 new batteries to follow normal arrangement, but if they supply 2X6V, then dealer or owner could add 2 more matching 6V batteries.

I think it’s good planning because if I had a residential fridge, I’d want at least 4 batteries. My 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #17

THOR #3584
Thanks again, I really appreciate all this information!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Because that motorhome model comes with a standard battery tray large enough for 4 batteries (according to specs), the likely reason for 6V batteries is that Thor was planning ahead for possible battery-capacity expansion. By supplying 2X6V batteries originally, it makes upgrading to 4 batteries at time of purchase (or soon after) easier and cheaper.

When wiring 4 lead-based batteries as one bank, the standard is to use 6-Volt batteries. If Thor installed 2X12V, an upgrade would require 4 new batteries to follow normal arrangement, but if they supply 2X6V, then dealer or owner could add 2 more matching 6V batteries.

I think it’s good planning because if I had a residential fridge, I’d want at least 4 batteries. My 2 cents.
If 2 12VDC were installed the owner or dealer could also install 2 additional 12VDC of similar size as long as the battery compartment was large enough. 4 12VDC batteries can be hooked in parallel easier that 4 6VDC being connected in series parallel.

In fact with a 2 12VDC configuration the owner could add one addition 12VDC today and another in a couple of weeks as their budget permitted.

The other nice thing about a 2 12VDC configuration is if one battery goes bad you can still operate with the other battery. That cannot be said for a 2 6VDC configuration.

I had a residential fridge in the Challenger and it only had 2 6VDC hose batteries and I did not have any issues in the 5 years we owned that coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I stuffed 4-12v under my steps. Deep cycle, group 27, 109ah per. Wired them in series for a total of 436ah. Run the gen once a day when dry-camping. If I cook something that needs electric, I do that at the same time. Usually do that for 90min. My gen is manual; no AGS.

Measure your battery box. Whether you go with 6 or 12, it'll tell how much of the other type of capacity you have - space. Then locate batteries with dimensions that will occupy that space.

I went with 4 12s. It's an experiment in setting up for solar I wanted to try. I'll do lithium if I go solar and swap to 6's if I stay with no solar. So far so good.

The space came first. The battery measurements next.

I wired the two back batteries in the 'box' first, added the series wire for the front batteries and wrapped the untied negative end with tape so it wouldn't spark out on the box. Slid them back in place and wired up the front ones. Joined the back with the front for 4 in series.
That's a really nice wiring diagram that you posted with your explanation...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:39 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Elite FE22
State: Oregon
THOR #19474
Good answers. The choice of batteries...number, six or twelve volt, quality all will affect how much power you can draw between charges, and even how long the batteries will last before replacement. There are many options: one 12 volt, two six volt in series, two 12 volt in parallel, 4 six volt in series/parallel. When it comes to flooded lead batteries, the more pounds of lead, the more charge will be available from the batteries (an oversimplification, of course). The one thing to remember is when using more than one battery, they should be matched....same amp hours, same condition and age. Identical batteries is really the standard for more than one. You can't just add a battery in parallel if the other battery is weak.