Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Delano
State: Washington
THOR #19769
Question Delano Electrical issues

We just bought a new Delano 2020 in Phoenix and drove to WA State. We had electrical issues the whole way, AFTER having La Mesa RV (where we purchased) try to ID the issues, with no luck. So, we headed out anyway.
Our outlets would not always work, our refrigerator would turn off, our solar panel does not provide any electricity, so our "house battery" drops from 13.8 to 9.6 when generator is turned off, or engine is running. And our "control panel" seems to flicker like it is not getting full power. Have reset the GFCI in the bathroom, but sometimes it won't reset unless I run the gen! The breaker for the fridge trips off at times, whether plugged into shore power or not. Checked the battery and it has water covering the plates. All this is confusing to me as I am NOT an electrician. SO, I cannot help but wonder if we got a "lemon". Shore power is a dedicated 30amp outlet.
Any comments, suggestions, or helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
BTW, the coach rides beautifully, so we are happy about that.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
1st thing you need to do is put the "Battery Disconnect" at the door into the "IN USE" position. Always leave it there unless in storage. It must be on in order for the get or shore power to charge the batteries.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

THOR #19769
Delano Electrical issues

Cavie, Thanks for your reply. I do have or "see" a "battery disconnect" by my door nor anything labeled as such. What am I missing?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
First, the gfci I wil NOT reset unless it has power.
Next question is it tripping or are you just testing it? If it is tripping you have a wiring problem on the outlets (possibly moisture in an outlet).
You didn’t say what the frig is. RV or residential. If it is a RV, then it might be on the GFCI circuit causing you all the grief.

My advice is find someone that can work on it under warranty.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #5

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2RVing View Post
Cavie, Thanks for your reply. I do have or "see" a "battery disconnect" by my door nor anything labeled as such. What am I missing?
There are different types but most likely a small rocker switch. Most say "in use/store" or "on/off". It will not say "battery disconnect" but that is what it does. It may be located in a switch panel. Most have a light with it but the light does not mean on or off. If it on it means electric is present. Not on of off. I know kind of stupid. the switch controls an electric relay. The load is not going thru the switch.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:37 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you'll have to give us much more 'details' about each and every facet of these problems - such as are these happening 'while' driving? Are you expecting outlets to work when the generator or shore power is not in play? Are you expecting solar to 'power' anything directly?

we may not be reading your issues correctly, without giving us details of what you are doing, and what 'power' source you have in play, when these things occur...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:54 AM   #7

THOR #19769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you'll have to give us much more 'details' about each and every facet of these problems - such as are these happening 'while' driving? Are you expecting outlets to work when the generator or shore power is not in play? Are you expecting solar to 'power' anything directly?

we may not be reading your issues correctly, without giving us details of what you are doing, and what 'power' source you have in play, when these things occur...
TurnerFam, None of these things are happening while driving; RV runs fine, and a/c works both in cab and house. But, the house battery will not take a charge or keep a charge when engine turned off. Voltage drops from 14.6 to 9.4 steadily, and solar does not appear to work or generate any power either. I did find the "reset" switch by the driver door and reset it, but no change to anything. When plugged into stick/brick house for power, SOMETIMES the refrigerator breaker will trip (30 amp), sometimes the GFCI in coach bath area will trip. DO these details help? Thanks for your attention!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2RVing View Post
Have you found your battery disconnect switch?

Some GFI outlets trip when plugged in a GFI circuit. Probably the case with your house. Either plug into a non-GFI circuit or turn off the GFI circuit in your RV.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:52 AM   #9

THOR #19769
Delano Electrical issues

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the many suggestions on my electrical challenges. Turns out that the "house" battery had two dead cells so at only 9.4 amps there was not enough power to run much of anything. I have taken it to a Thor certified repair place to attend to all the other issues that came with this new rig. Thankfully Thor agreed to cover the associated costs and the dealer agreed to buy the replacement battery. So, hopefully when we get the rig returned we will have the "new" Delano that we thought we were getting at purchase!

Tags
breaker trips, electrical challenge, solar charging