Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #1436
Driveability?

Another question before we commit. We love the floor plan of the ACE 27.1 but have been reading about some driving/handling issues, such as steering wandering. Some people said they corrected it by having an alignment and or tire inflation to about 80psi, not sure what the factory recommends. But that seems crazy to have to have it aligned on a brand new coach. Could it be possible that the problem is that this coach is rated at 16,000 lb GVWR, where similar size competitive rigs such as the Winnebago Vista and Newmar Bay Star Sport are rated at 18,000 lb GVWR? Thanks again for any input. Also, my wife is asking a domestic question, how many of you actually use your oven.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Since I have a Class C, I cannot comment as much on steering wander, other than Class Cs (at least mine) has a small degree of wander at highway speeds.

We use our oven quite a bit. Its funny though that we hardly never use our oven at home, but quite frequently in the RV. I think part of it is that we tend to make a lot of meals using an oven compatible Dutch Oven (meaning no feet on the bottom).

Ours is a 2qt Dutch Oven, so it is perfect for two~three people. We like to put it on the campfire, but it is not always convenient to do so, therefore the coach'es oven.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
The oven is pretty much useless. The flame will cause baked goods to burn on the bottom and be raw on top! A tech told me when I purchased this new RV to buy a ceramic pizza pan and place it on the grill to distribute the heat more evenly! We have not tried this yet but the science sound solid!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
We had an oven in our 5er. In the 10 years we owned the 5er we used the oven once.
On the Axis we opted for extra storage instead of the oven (without the oven you get two more drawers and a convection microwave). We've already used the convection oven part of the microwave more than the oven in the 5er (ok twice would satisfy that criteria! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I have not seen any issues with uneven heat in our oven. But perhaps by using the Dutch Oven it is equalizing the temperature...
Old 04-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
We never used the oven in our travel trailer. It just didn't heat evenly enough or maintain an even temperature. We pick up our Challenger 35HT on Saturday and we got it with out an oven. What we plan to use instead is a Ninja Cooker. We use it at home all the time instead of the oven. Generates allot less heat, works great, and can also be used as a slow cooker.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben View Post
We never used the oven in our travel trailer. It just didn't heat evenly enough or maintain an even temperature. We pick up our Challenger 35HT on Saturday and we got it with out an oven. What we plan to use instead is a Ninja Cooker. We use it at home all the time instead of the oven. Generates allot less heat, works great, and can also be used as a slow cooker.
When looking at our Challenger I found it interesting that normally the oven is standard with the convection MW an option. The Challenger has the convection MW standard and you have to pay more if you want the oven. My prior class C was 3 years old and the oven had never been lit.

Also, when looking at coaches my wife took the crock from our crock pot and the first thing she did was try to place it in the refrigerator. If the crock didn't fit the coach wasn't even considered. We eliminated the Hurricane, Four Winds Super C, Windsport and a few others in this manner. Watched a lot of salespeople scratching their heads over that display of priorities.

Normally when we travel a crock pot meal is prepped in advance, rides in the refrigerator for the trip and then the crock pot is plugged in the following day for the evening's meal after sightseeing or whatever it is we are doing. After that all meals are handled with the outdoor kitchen.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
We placed a pizza stone in the oven now have a even heat flow
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

Model: A. C. E. 29.3
State: Texas
THOR #1764
Our last rig had a convection/microwave, and we have had one at home for years. Our new A.C.E. 29.3 came with an oven. For RVing I find the convection/microwave superior in both saving storage and heating of the rig.

As stated earlier it does not act like a "home" oven.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
The oven is pretty much useless. ...... A tech told me when I purchased this new RV to buy a ceramic pizza pan and place it on the grill to distribute the heat more evenly! .....

That's funny, and completely contradicts the view of people that have figured out how to use the RV oven! I have been camping with a rally camping group for eleven years, where many of the cooks use an RV Oven and feel that it is indispensable and a "Deal Breaker" when purchasing a new RV. They use it to bake fresh biscuits, cookies, pizza, and big casseroles for pot luck dinners.

The tech you heard was correct!

The ceramic pizza stone that you purchased for the grill is the missing piece of the RV oven puzzle. With that pizza stone in there the heat is evenly distributed and the oven performs!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #1616
We haven't had an extended trip yet but I plan to use a small crockpot and a small Foreman grill along with the stove burners to make meals. I don't think the oven will get much use. I just lit it and baked some biscuits to make sure it worked on our first overnight.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #12

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
We also use a nuwave induction cooktop most of the time instead of the gas stove burners. Simply because it does not generate any heat except for what you are cooking or heating up. For us, cutting back on anything that generates heat is important.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 AM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #1393
We have the 27-1 and it handles fine with no modifications. If you are on the interstate, you will get pushed by a larger vehicle like a semi when it passes you. I make it a point to always check if something is coming up behind me as to not be surprised. Haven't used the oven yet..
Old 04-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #14

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
Sooo true ACSnook! I remember the first time I experienced being passed by a semi on the highway in my old class C! A scary experience for sure!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #15

THOR #1775
I bought the 27.1 last year in may, from CW in Valdosta, Ga. On the way home to Florida, I felt like I was driving a bumper car, all over the place. I went to CW in Kissimmee, Fl. and they installed the steering stabilizer for around 800 bucks. I went on a 6000 mile trip a few months later with no issues whatsoever. Best money I ever spent. No more white knuckle ride, steer with one hand even when being passed. Oven in our unit works great...
Old 05-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtime01 View Post
I bought the 27.1 last year in may, from CW in Valdosta, Ga. On the way home to Florida, I felt like I was driving a bumper car, all over the place. I went to CW in Kissimmee, Fl. and they installed the steering stabilizer for around 800 bucks. I went on a 6000 mile trip a few months later with no issues whatsoever. Best money I ever spent. No more white knuckle ride, steer with one hand even when being passed. Oven in our unit works great...
If you develop the sway again take a look at changing the settings on the sway bar and possibly adding a track bar in the rear. Ford installs a track bar in the front and why they didn't on the rear is beyond me . I am assuming the 27.1 is also on a F53 frame.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #1532
The pizza stone trick works by the way.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #18

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Just had Safe-T-Plus installed and on the ride home it seemed to give me more control. I actually did it for blow outs on front tires and in watching Fox news this morning they show an Rv that had a blowout and the guy ditched it and flipped it in the grass. Pretty amazing video. Our unit is 25 foot class C so I don't know how that relates to a 27.1
Old 05-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E 29.3
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Just had Safe-T-Plus installed and on the ride home it seemed to give me more control. I actually did it for blow outs on front tires and in watching Fox news this morning they show an Rv that had a blowout and the guy ditched it and flipped it in the grass. Pretty amazing video. Our unit is 25 foot class C so I don't know how that relates to a 27.1
I think a steering stabilizer makes sense for any coach. They improve the ride and safety.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote