Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: Indiana
THOR #14590
Question Dewinterizing help

Brand new to Rving, 2019 Thor Freedom Elite, and we are heading out of Indianapolis (still freezing) and heading to TX in 2 weeks. The new rig was purchased winterized and we were only provided "basic" details on de-winterizing.

Looking for assistance as we will need to do this at a campsite after we hit warmer temps, like in Memphis area on the road.

HELP. Feeling a bit overwhelmed but more excited.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Sanitize your fresh water system first. Prepare a solution of 1/4 cup bleach in a gallon of water for each 15 gallons of FW tank capacity (3/4 cup bleach in 3 gal of water for a 50 gal tank) and pour into your FW tank then fill with water. Turn on the water pump and run water at each faucet (one at a time) until you smell bleach. Turn off the water pump and let it sit for 8 hours or overnight then drain and refill with fresh water. Open the water heater bypass valves turn on the water pump to fill the WH tank and should be good to go. Your owners manual should detail the procedure but there’s much to be found on this forum. FYI, never pour straight bleach into your FW tank.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You kind of want to pump out the pink stuff before you sanitize.

Dewinterizing is pretty simple: Make sure the valves on the inside of the water heater are set for summer (the valves at the top and bottom--hot and cold--are open (inline with the water lines) and the valve going between hot & cold is closed).

Next put some water in the tank (a few gallons), turn on the pump, and run each faucet until there is no more pink coming out (don't forget the outside shower, and the inside shower LOL).

After that sanitize the system (drain fresh tank and do the bleach thing above).

No real sense pumping bleach water into the pink stuff in the lines..
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
If you have a tankless water heater ( depending on the rv model) you will not have valves to worry about for the water heater. The dealer may not have added anti freeze to your fresh water tank. Check to make sure low point drain valves and fresh water drain are closed and then proceed with fresh water sanitation. And as jamiegeek says, don't forget the outside shower.

Welcome to the forum and safe travels
Old 03-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

Model: 24.1
State: Iowa
THOR #18773
This is so helpful. I wondered about adding the bleach in the first go around. I am a widow, 78 years old, and bought a 2014 Vegas 24.1 last summer. Your advice on these forums has been great. I had a dealer winterize it last fall because I had to have a water leak fixed anyway but am determined to dewinterize it myself. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Check your water heater. If it had a drain plug removed you will need to install it before filling with water.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #7

THOR #18773
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbykid View Post
Check your water heater. If it had a drain plug removed you will need to install it before filling with water.

Me again. The plug is removed and laying inside the compartment. So how do I know where it goes?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #8

THOR #20468
There should be a treaded hold that it threads into. Some models the hole is hidden behind other things. You will need a wrench to install it. If you are at a campsite as a neighbor to help you.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
There should be a treaded hold that it threads into. Some models the hole is hidden behind other things. You will need a wrench to install it. If you are at a campsite as a neighbor to help you.

The hole (not surprisingly) is toward the bottom usually on your left. Use Teflon tape if you have any. Don’t forget to check that the bypass valves are in he proper position and that the water heater is actually full before you try to heat it. You can test it by opening a hot water faucet until you get a steady stream of water or by lifting the pressure relief valve lever on the outside of the heater. It’s a small silver lever atop a brass valve near the top of the heater. If the tank is full you’ll get a nice flow of water when you lift the lever. It all sounds harder than it is. Once you’ve done it you’ll see how easy winterizing and unwinterizing really is. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 PM   #10

THOR #18773
Quote:

I'm at home, not at a campsite. I was able to put the plug in and finger tighten it. Is that enough or does it have to be really tight? Also, once I start the dewinterizing process, should the hot, cold, and bypass valves be open or closed. In other words, do I want it to go through the water heater?
Old 04-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMN View Post
I'm at home, not at a campsite. I was able to put the plug in and finger tighten it. Is that enough or does it have to be really tight? Also, once I start the dewinterizing process, should the hot, cold, and bypass valves be open or closed. In other words, do I want it to go through the water heater?
Finger tight will do until you turn off the bypass and turn on the heater.

Flush out all the pink before turning off the bypass.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:26 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Finger tight will do until you turn off the bypass and turn on the heater.

Flush out all the pink before turning off the bypass.
2nd this one! If you don't its not the end of the world the pink antifreeze is non toxic but it will take forever to get the smell out of the hot water tank.

We had an old Coachman B that didn't have the by pass valves and it required you to pump 6 gallons of pink antifreeze in the fresh water tank through the hot water heater to winterize. It took forever to flush that crap out of the hot water heater & the fresh water tank
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:48 AM   #13

THOR #6826
Dewinterizing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMN View Post

I leave the water heater bypassed until I’ve flushed all of the pink stuff out of the pump and lines just so that the antifreeze won’t go into the tank and be harder to flush. Once you’ve got the lines flushed you can fill the tank and test it. You’ll probably need to tighten the drain plug with a wrench. If it doesn’t leak you’re golden.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #14

State: Ohio
THOR #23283
Quote:
I’m new to this...where do I check for the drain plug?
Old 05-03-2021, 11:16 PM   #15

THOR #20468
Not sure what year or model Thor you have but drain plug is on the bottom of most water heaters. Access through water heater door on the out side of most Thor motor homes.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 PM   #16

State: Ohio
THOR #23283
Ok thanks

It’s a 2016 Ace 29.3
Old 05-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Best to use Teflon tape on the plug threads and use an appropriate wrench to tighten snuggly.

Tags
dewinterizing, winterizing