Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 04:03 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Diesel pricing has jumped since Friday.

Am seeing TSD/Open Roads & Mudflap net fuel pricing raising significantly.
Looks to be in the $.30 to $.60 increase range so far. California is back into the $6 range.
And the fuel discounts have decreased significantly.

Thor Infinity
Old 10-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
We just got in from a short couple thousand miles and on the return, prices went up along the way.

Very similar to what you saw traveling Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas
Old 10-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I can hardly wait till we return to energy independence like a couple of years ago.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:28 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That option starts in November
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 10-09-2022, 09:54 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
That option starts in November
Or TWO years in earnest...
Old 10-09-2022, 10:04 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Still are energy independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I can hardly wait till we return to energy independence like a couple of years ago.
The most recent data I've seen from the EIA (US Energy Information Administration) shows that the US was basically energy independent in 2021. The numbers are tricky as we import some and export some, and some of the imports are refined and exported and vice versa. We aren't dependent on Russian oil, but Europe has been (Russia is now selling to India and China). But oil is priced on the global open market, not by the supply demand of the US. So, even though we are not having issues with supply here and our costs per barrel is fairly steady, global pressure is driving our US oil prices, resulting in domestic oil companies with record profits.
As you all know, OPEC supply cuts are the reason behind the current price increases, even though net net we are not dependent on OPEC oil.
If you want to point the finger at higher than they should be diesel (and gasoline) prices look no farther than our oil companies. We are not having oil supply issues, we are still basically energy independent.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:25 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Or TWO years in earnest...

Starts in November...final resolution in two years.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:37 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
I wish we didn't have so many people defining every ill as a democrat or republican problem.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:41 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
The most recent data I've seen from the EIA (US Energy Information Administration) shows that the US was basically energy independent in 2021. The numbers are tricky as we import some and export some, and some of the imports are refined and exported and vice versa. We aren't dependent on Russian oil, but Europe has been (Russia is now selling to India and China). But oil is priced on the global open market, not by the supply demand of the US. So, even though we are not having issues with supply here and our costs per barrel is fairly steady, global pressure is driving our US oil prices, resulting in domestic oil companies with record profits.
As you all know, OPEC supply cuts are the reason behind the current price increases, even though net net we are not dependent on OPEC oil.
If you want to point the finger at higher than they should be diesel (and gasoline) prices look no farther than our oil companies. We are not having oil supply issues, we are still basically energy independent.
For diesel, kerosene, heating oil, and jet fuel (all the same stuff) the problem is the US has shuttered 6 refineries in the last 12 years due to environmental concerns and "I don't want that next door to my beach house". Applications to enlarge the refineries on the West Coast have been denied.
Most fracked oils are are fine for gasoline, but not so much for the heavier refinery cuts. Remember, the Gulf refineries were build the refine Venezuelan heavy crude and not primary for domestic crude. The Gulf refineries have been modified to use a mix of oils but still require approx 30% heavy crude which we import from Canada and Saudi to operate economically. Light sweet crude is easy to refine but doesn't produce much in the way of heavy distillates.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:50 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
I wish we didn't have so many people defining every ill as a democrat or republican problem.

Nothing political here...it's just the personal choice of the "leaders" and what direction they "think" is best for everyone in this country. Just because Trump had us totally energy independent and actually selling excess crude to other countries doesn't make him right. Just because Biden cancelled all those accomplishments and now has us begging for oil from anyone in the world as we use up our strategic reserves doesn't make him wrong...see...I'm not political at all...both of them are right...right?
Old 10-09-2022, 11:36 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
For diesel, kerosene, heating oil, and jet fuel (all the same stuff) the problem is the US has shuttered 6 refineries in the last 12 years due to environmental concerns and "I don't want that next door to my beach house". Applications to enlarge the refineries on the West Coast have been denied.
Most fracked oils are are fine for gasoline, but not so much for the heavier refinery cuts. Remember, the Gulf refineries were build the refine Venezuelan heavy crude and not primary for domestic crude. The Gulf refineries have been modified to use a mix of oils but still require approx 30% heavy crude which we import from Canada and Saudi to operate economically. Light sweet crude is easy to refine but doesn't produce much in the way of heavy distillates.
You are exactly correct! Also the oil dumped onto the market from our reserves is considered "dirty" which requires more processing to refine.

Factor into the equation the pressure put on financial institutions to NOT loan money to anyone in the oil/gasoline industry... From small retailers like me to large refineries.

As much as one tries to keep this from being political, everything is political. [emoji6]