Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 AM   #21
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheRoad View Post
That's what the Dealer told us today!!!
We went and looked at a new Axis today 24.1 our first time in one! We really liked it... now they had a 2016 and 2017 side by side can save about 10Gand on the 2016.... but really like some of the new things on the 2017 tough choice!
agree with AxisEarl comment...we have the 2016 24.1..on the E450 chassis which has the 6spd transmission.. ours came with the upgraded 15k btu a/c ... it is our understanding that some of the 2017 models have the E350 chassis....you can confirm which chassis a unit is, with the VIN .

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Our 2017 Axis was built on the 2016 E450 chassis. We also have a porch light along with the light strip on the awning but it's a 25.2.
Having a tough time getting away from tent camping as we turn off the porch and awning lights when sitting outside and use a candle lantern if we don't have a fire.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
The tankless water heater on the 2018 Vegas 24.1 is wonderful! Mine is on an E-350 chassis. I also like the Euro cabinets, armless awning, LP BBQ connector, LED lighting, single arm bathroom faucet, SS kitchen sink, larger window in kitchen.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #24

THOR #6877
Tankless is also advantage for winterization.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #25

THOR #6877
The 24.1's are always going to be on E-350 from now on but they have the same 6-speed V10 engine.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Minnesota
THOR #7110
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
The 24.1's are always going to be on E-350 from now on but they have the same 6-speed V10 engine.

My biggest concern is I want that 6speed transmission!we're really leaning towards the 2018 euro style cabinetry and some of the options that are now standard we like one being the gas grill hook up on the outside! One question do these units have an outside shower hook up?what do you think of the outside entertainment system we do everything Bluetooth now through our phones Pandora, slacker radio,etc.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #27

THOR #6877
The 2018 Vegas 24.1 on E-350 has a six speed transmission, same engine and transmission as the E-450.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #28

THOR #6877
Yes there is an outside shower head.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #29

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Dont know what the tankless units cost but they usually tell the regular homeowner, that unless you use lots of hot water (teenagers I guess) they won't save enough to break even before wearing out. Using a bunch of hot water is something Ever's rarely do.
The first modification I made to my 2015 Axis was to go to a tankless water heater. The price was comparable to a replacement 6 gallon tank model. The tankless system I installed is LP gas only, it uses 12v for pilot light and to run the small cooling fan. Tankless systems use far less LP gas than systems with a tank. That's a plus but mainly it's about the endless supply of hot water because there's NO way my wife will take a shower using only 6 gallons of hot water. She'll make sacrifices in the name of camping, but that's not one of them.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #30

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
My biggest concern is I want that 6speed transmission!we're really leaning towards the 2018 euro style cabinetry and some of the options that are now standard we like one being the gas grill hook up on the outside! One question do these units have an outside shower hook up?what do you think of the outside entertainment system we do everything Bluetooth now through our phones Pandora, slacker radio,etc.
They all come with the same transmission and engine whether E350 or E450. so you are fine with either. The difference is Vehicle load capacity only.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #31

Brand: Still Looking
State: Minnesota
THOR #7110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
They all come with the same transmission and engine whether E350 or E450. so you are fine with either. The difference is Vehicle load capacity only.

This would be gross vehicle weight capacity correct! Do you know the difference off hand?again everybody thanks for your help… Without this forum and the wealth of information it has I would have never known?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
This would be gross vehicle weight capacity correct! Do you know the difference off hand?again everybody thanks for your help… Without this forum and the wealth of information it has I would have never known?

2017 Ford® E-Series Cutaway E-450 DRW | Model Highlights | Ford.com
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 AM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserdude67 View Post
The first modification I made to my 2015 Axis was to go to a tankless water heater. The price was comparable to a replacement 6 gallon tank model. The tankless system I installed is LP gas only, it uses 12v for pilot light and to run the small cooling fan. Tankless systems use far less LP gas than systems with a tank. That's a plus but mainly it's about the endless supply of hot water because there's NO way my wife will take a shower using only 6 gallons of hot water. She'll make sacrifices in the name of camping, but that's not one of them.
When we run the water heater on 120V it uses no propane at all and we have yet to run out of hot water when people are showering.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:34 AM   #34

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Yes, agree Jamie. Sure didn't want to start a tankless vs. tank type water heater war.... My previous comment was meant to suggest that if he could get a discounted deal on the '16 model, some of the changes were not worth paying extra for. If some are happy with the tankless, as I have commented before, that's a good thing. We have no complaints with the tank type and haven't run out of hot water, possibly because we know we are dry camping in a RV... She hasn't run out when we have full hook ups for that matter.... I will say that we paid top $$ for one in our house and there isn't one local plumber that knows how to service it.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Yes, agree Jamie. Sure didn't want to start a tankless vs. tank type water heater war.... My previous comment was meant to suggest that if he could get a discounted deal on the '16 model, some of the changes were not worth paying extra for. If some are happy with the tankless, as I have commented before, that's a good thing. We have no complaints with the tank type and haven't run out of hot water, possibly because we know we are dry camping in a RV... She hasn't run out when we have full hook ups for that matter.... I will say that we paid top $$ for one in our house and there isn't one local plumber that knows how to service it.
It is very likely that the tankless one you put in is much better than the one Thor now puts in the units as there are many questions and comments about the ones in the newer units.

I really like the idea of a tankless heater for many of the reasons you put one in but since we've never had an issue with a std water heater in any of our RV's (2 TT's, a 5er and now the Axis) I've never really given it a thought.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 AM   #36

State: Florida
THOR #7188
Motion Sensor Porch Light

We have a 2017 Vegas 24.1. It had a porch light which was easily changed to a motion sensor porch light which we like very much. 'Not sure how to make an awning light system into a motion sensor type. Our awning LEDs are much too bright to leave on all the time anyway.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 AM   #37

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Arizona
THOR #4510
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
You might want to take a hard look at the deal for the 2016. It might be an E450 instead of the E350. The other thing is that I think the 17s have the tankless hot water system. Personally, I wouldn't want one for the RV because they can be a bit finicky. Just a thought.
Not sure why the tank less water heater should be finicky unless it is of questionable quality. I lived in Scandinavia in the 60's and they were commonplace then. Plenty of time to have them de-bugged.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #38

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtanner View Post
Not sure why the tank less water heater should be finicky unless it is of questionable quality. I lived in Scandinavia in the 60's and they were commonplace then. Plenty of time to have them de-bugged.
You can tell by reading this forum that there are plenty of bugs left.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #39

State: Colorado
THOR #7522
Has anyone upgraded their toilet in the Vegas/Axis 24.1 yet?
We are looking at the Dometic 320 Low Profile (very nice oblong swirl toilet)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #40

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I'm not a fan of the tankless water heater in my Axis! The hot water is inconsistent when hooked to city water and anything but "instant".
When using the water pump and fresh water tank, it barely functions as a water heater.
I've had it checked by the dealer and can they insist it's working properly, but I've no confidence in what they say!
Overall very disappointing! Especially since the premise of a tankless water heater is ideal for MH use.

Tags
axis, axis 24.1, vegas, vegas 24.1