Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 03:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #26432
Garmin RV 1090

I bought the Garmin RV 1090. I have used it a couple times and it doesn’t seem to be working correctly. It takes me to the destination but it only recognizes major roads. It doesn’t give turn by turn directions. It constantly recalculates the GPS position which doesn’t give the accurate metrics. Is there something I’m not doing? It gets really good reviews so I’m wondering if there is a common setting that I’m not seeing that I need to fix.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Youtube has many great how to videos for the Garmin RV GPS.

Depending on where you mount the GPS, you may not be getting good satellite signal to the unit. Therefore it is always recalculating once it receives a signal.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Scroll through all the menus/settings and play with it a good bit. There are more options with today's GPS than there are Mexican restaurants in the U.S. (I love Mexican food). Settings like avoid interstates, toll roads, etc. will eliminate some of it's offerings. Did you download your coach profile into it? As mentioned...your signal has everything to do with what it reads and can pass on to you. Class C's with large cabs can be an issue or other electronics can interfere as well. That new toy should butter your toast and make cocktails for you. Last resort, call Garmin...I've always had great customer service with them.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapnod View Post
I bought the Garmin RV 1090. I have used it a couple times and it doesn’t seem to be working correctly. It takes me to the destination but it only recognizes major roads. It doesn’t give turn by turn directions. It constantly recalculates the GPS position which doesn’t give the accurate metrics. Is there something I’m not doing? It gets really good reviews so I’m wondering if there is a common setting that I’m not seeing that I need to fix.
I had those 2 symptoms on my RV660 when I accidently knocked the SDCard loose, but for your brand new unit I would suspect you don't have or need an SDCard.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I just bought the same Garmin unit but haven't used it yet. I set it up to calculate the truck stops into any routes I take as well as roads that I can safely drive my 2022 Thor Miramar based on height/weight restrictions. I have watched several videos on it to help navigate the options on it.

Paul
Old 06-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Can you change its map program to waze or sygic or truck route until you figure out the problem?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #7

State: Utah
THOR #26432
So I figured it out. I attempted to update the Garmin with spotty wifi and the update failed. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Garmin says that when an update fails the maps on the Garmin are erased. I now have to download all the maps again to get them to work properly.

So, don't update your Garmin unless you have really good wifi.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapnod View Post
So I figured it out. I attempted to update the Garmin with spotty wifi and the update failed. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Garmin says that when an update fails the maps on the Garmin are erased. I now have to download all the maps again to get them to work properly.

So, don't update your Garmin unless you have really good wifi.
So same issue as I had when i knocked the SDcard loose - no current maps to refer to, just the bare basic map display.

Glad you got it resolved!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin 1090