Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr580 View Post
There's a little more to it than just how you tow. Do you want to damage the front of the vehicle you are towing, trading them in later can guarantee you won't get anything for it on a flat tow system vehicle. But on the happier side, you get to drive around an area with a front bumper showing you don't live there, car service places just love that.

Cynical much? Seriously, there are ways to avoid or minimize toad damage. Especially if you mostly tow on interstates.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #22

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #17484
Additional comments about trailer towing with a motorhome … I left out some additional planning needed when trailer towing behind your MH.

The elevation of your trailer hitch will almost always require a DROP ball mount to allow the trailer to sit level. But we all know that driving over entries to gas stations and other driveways can put the MH rear end down on its rear skid plates. If the ball mount drop you used to level your trailer sits below your MH's skid plates, your ball mount becomes a single skid plate for your motorhome … not good.

This was a tricky problem on my '17 Vegas 25.5. I would have needed a five-inch drop to get the trailer level but that would have made my ball mount a skid plate. Luckily, after checking elevations, I settled on a 4-inch drop that left my trailer with a slight but acceptable nose-high attitude but still above the skid zone. Moving up to my '19 ACE 27.2 allows me to use a six-inch drop with little risk of skid damage to the ball mount.

Trailer towing also brings up the question of HITCH WEIGHT. Some of Thor's MH's come with 8,000 lb tow capacity but only 500 lb hitch weight ratings. Most trailer manufacturers recommend 10% to 15% of load as hitch weight. That raises a question of whether you can safely tow a trailer over 5k lbs. Regardless, it's important to know how much hitch weight you're running with your trailer loaded. I found that my '11 RAV4 dinghy should be loaded facing rear to position it properly on the trailer and to keep the hitch weight at 10% of load. I use lasso ratchet straps through the wheels fore and aft for a secure hold down.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #23

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
More important that the type of vehicle you tow (althought that is important) is the tow bar and set up you use. We chose a Blue Ox and later found out that you have to be on level ground before it'll unhook easily (if at all). There are some "non-binding bars (maybe even some by Blue Ox) that are easier for the newbee to navigate. I can't overstate the importance of this.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #24
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN View Post
More important that the type of vehicle you tow (althought that is important) is the tow bar and set up you use. We chose a Blue Ox and later found out that you have to be on level ground before it'll unhook easily (if at all). There are some "non-binding bars (maybe even some by Blue Ox) that are easier for the newbee to navigate. I can't overstate the importance of this.
times 2.

Just because someone else recommends a setup doesn't mean that setup will fit your needs.

I researched for about 3 months before outfitting our Grand Cherokee and got the setup that is right for us.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #25

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Every situation is different but want to share our experience. We tow a Honda CRV with a blue ox bar. Before disconnecting we line up so the car and RV are straight and on reasonably level ground. Minor up Hill or down Hill is not an issue if you have 2 people. One person stays in the car, inching it forward or backwards while the other person handles the hitch. On level ground only takes 1.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #26

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
We chose a Demco tow package for our toad, for the construction and the looks of the hitch on our toad. You can hook and unhook a Demco on level, unlevel, or in a bind. I am very pleased with our hitch. We also chose the Stay N Play brake system, works great.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #27

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
When I started my search for a 4 wheels down towable I started with the MotorHome Dingy guide.

The link to the guides is https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Be sure that you look at the one that has the year of your car. The specs and requirements can change year by year for any given car. Sometimes a car listed as towable in one year is absent the next.

I ended up with a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. But it requires a special aftermarket electrical harness to keep the power steering energized. It's a small footnote in the manual. So when you do the selection read the car manual - easy to look up before you buy - very carefully. If its not explicit about towing 4 wheels down then towing may invalidate a warranty if there is any damage.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
When I started my search for a 4 wheels down towable I started with the MotorHome Dingy guide.

Be sure that you look at the one that has the year of your car. The specs and requirements can change year by year for any given car. Sometimes a car listed as towable in one year is absent the next.

I ended up with a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. But it requires a special aftermarket electrical harness to keep the power steering energized. It's a small footnote in the manual. So when you do the selection read the car manual - easy to look up before you buy - very carefully. If its not explicit about towing 4 wheels down then towing may invalidate a warranty if there is any damage.

That's a good place to start but the place you end is the owners manual of the vehicle you choose. Look at it BEFORE you plunk down the cash on the car. It's the manufacturer's word on whether the vehicle is suitable for Recreational Vehicle Towing.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post

Harness not required on 2019 and newer due to a software update.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We flat towed a 2007 HHR for years, using a blue ox tow bar and base plate in the car, which was set up for the US Gear brakes. Nothing to connect other than the umbilical, which powered everything, including trickle charging the battery on the toad. Never once in twelve years of towing had any problem, or a flat or low battery. Still have the car, with all the setup, but at this point in time, we are between motor-homes. First time in over fifteen years we haven't had one, haven't decided if we are done with RV'ing or not.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:23 AM   #31

THOR #17484
Unexpected effect ....
Took out my ACE 27.2 today for first test drive with Rav4 dinghy on car trailer. Was pleasantly surprised to feel almost no tail wag from passing semi's compared to running with no trailer. Hard to tell if there was any change in sway since almost no wind.

I have the Safe T steering damper and will install but will take time evaluating other handling upgrades until I book more miles. Sumo Sorings probably next.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:01 AM   #32

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanopete View Post
Unexpected effect ....
Took out my ACE 27.2 today for first test drive with Rav4 dinghy on car trailer. Was pleasantly surprised to feel almost no tail wag from passing semi's compared to running with no trailer. Hard to tell if there was any change in sway since almost no wind.

I have the Safe T steering damper and will install but will take time evaluating other handling upgrades until I book more miles. Sumo Sorings probably next.
Question for ya Pete. Does you car trailer use an equalizer hitch? With the reduced tail wag I’m guessing yes?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #33

THOR #17484
No spring bars on my 14" Featherlite hitch ... just a 2 5/16 ball mount with 6 inch drop to level trailer. FL trailers come with torsion axles, not springs.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're going to put our little Tadpole up on a trailer...
It's just too much RV; for it to push!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1582896097
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	22732  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote