Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2021, 02:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 29kw
State: California
THOR #24729
Dipstick

I have a 6.8 engine. The manual says add 6 quarts with filter when changing oil. the dipstick level shows 1 quart low.
Anyone had this experience?

Old 12-31-2021, 02:47 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman1 View Post
I have a 6.8 engine. The manual says add 6 quarts with filter when changing oil. the dipstick level shows 1 quart low.
I had a similar experience with my first oil change. After adding the oil, I started the engine and did the perfunctory leaks check. After it warmed up somewhat, I shut off the engine and leveled the coach (hydraulic levelers).

Within 2 to 3 minutes of letting the hot oil drain back into the pan the dipstick showed full.

Supposedly there is some controversy (and confusion) regarding dipstick calibration and oil quantity. A Google search gives mixed results... but there are different flavors, upgrades and iterations over the 20+ years of production. The E-350 vans/motorhome chassis typically has a different flavor engine than the pickup/commercial trucks had... maybe because of tuning??

My suggestion? Go by your manual. Doing maintenance BY THE BOOK is the best way to preserve your warranty.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:03 AM   #3

THOR #24729
Thanks. Mine s sitting in the driveway. I’ll check it for level tomorrow
Old 12-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #4

THOR #24729
I checked and my motor home was level so I called Ford customer service. A tech returned my call and said it is not uncommon that dipsticks are marked wrong. He assured me 6 quarts is the proper amount.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I checked and my motor home was level so I called Ford customer service. A tech returned my call and said it is not uncommon that dipsticks are marked wrong. He assured me 6 quarts is the proper amount.
Then why bother having them at all? If you start out "a quart low" how do you know when you are really a quart low? When the dipstick is dry?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:06 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I had similar with my F-53.

Manual says 7 quarts. 1st oil change it took exactly 7 quarts. My wife always runs the engine so I check to ensure it is precise. However, few weeks ago, it took 8 quarts to get back at same level mark with engine running and same dipstick.

Last week I checked again I was 1/2 qt too high. I was able to easily get it out because I have a Fumoto valve.

Being puzzled, I realized that while my RV port pad is level, it really is not because of slight slope for drainage especially when I park both ways Parked forward it took 8 qts, backed in it was 7 qts. I agree with the Chateau Nomad Guy over Service man saying dipsticks is wrong. But we can agree, you need 6 qts and I need 7 qts.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #7

THOR #24729
I was smart enough to engrave the dipstick. Lol
I poured the old oil into quart containers. It had 6 quarts. I feel comfortable now. Thanks
Old 12-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #8

THOR #24729
Ford Tech told me to go by the manual and re mark the dipstick. Shame on Ford for this. Lol
Old 12-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Absolute insanity
Never heard of this one...
It's embarrassing.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #10

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Absolute insanity
Never heard of this one...
It's embarrassing.

But VERY typical. Attention to detail is becoming a lost art. As manufacturing has abandoned the U.S. over the last 40+ years, the only craftsmanship left will come from the hobbyist.

The dipstick cluster**** is what happens when you let a bean counter dictate engineering.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:04 PM   #11

THOR #24729
Very true statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
But VERY typical. Attention to detail is becoming a lost art. As manufacturing has abandoned the U.S. over the last 40+ years, the only craftsmanship left will come from the hobbyist.

The dipstick cluster**** is what happens when you let a bean counter dictate engineering.
I googled this and looks like lots of owners have the same issue. I’m sticking with 6 quarts since it ran 7,000 miles and it had 6 quarts when I drained it
Old 12-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Is your motor home a v10
Old 12-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I was smart enough to engrave the dipstick. Lol
I poured the old oil into quart containers. It had 6 quarts. I feel comfortable now. Thanks
Yes you were Smarter than Average Bear. But I wonder what Dipsh%# was working on you Dipstick that day Ford should just send you a new Dipstick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smarter bear.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	35407  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
7-quarts is the sweet spot, when changing filter as well.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #15

THOR #24729
Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
Is your motor home a v10
Yes, V10 6.8
Old 12-31-2021, 10:09 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgarnat@aol.com View Post
7-quarts is the sweet spot, when changing filter as well.
NOT when the engine manual that came with your coach says otherwise. That's been the theme of this entire thread! There are DIFFERENT specs for different "flavors" and manufacture year.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #12868
Oil level

I was told by ford that a 2 valve v10 requires 6 quarts while a 3 valve requires 7
Old 01-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
Quote:
There are two issues at work often. First as others have mentioned the overhead cam v10 holds a lot of oil in the heads and it takes some time to drain back into the pan and get a proper reading. I let my engine sit for a half hour before taking the reading.

Second, the dip stick is VERY long so it binds on the tube when being inserted. I have to work the dip stick down by pushing it in until it binds and then pulling back a little. On my Vegas if I just push the dipstick down in one motion it will "bunch up" in the tube and not go all the way down and so it makes for a low reading. On the Vegas if I just push it in in that single motion it will read low almost every time. Working it down it will read correctly every time.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:21 PM   #19

THOR #24729
Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhartis View Post
I was told by ford that a 2 valve v10 requires 6 quarts while a 3 valve requires 7
The Tech from FMC told me the 6.2 takes 7 quarts and the 6.8 takes 6 quarts. Not sure if I have 2 or 3 valve, I'll have to find that out.

I have checked the oil level many times over the last week and get a constant reading. Thanks
Old 01-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #20

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
When operating the farm/ranch for many years the first oil change on any piece of equipment involved carefully monitoring the oil addition to be sure of the actual quantity. This was always performed on the level floor in the service bay

Filter was always changed

After starting for the leak check and setting for 15 minutes the dip stick was marked with a file at the oil level

Maybe one out of 10 were off enough to have made a difference

Any time you have to replace a dipstick that is the only way to know where the level should be