Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #3828
Directv Roof Dish

I am considering getting a dish for my 2016 ACE 27.2 and have a few questions. When properly installed does it replace the current antenna or uses an additional spot on the roof. Has anyone ever had a problem with trees on your site, can you move vehicle around to get a signal. Is this a frequent problem. Is it an issue of using the directv receiver on one TV and using another source on the others. Thanks for all advice.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBradley58 View Post
I am considering getting a dish for my 2016 ACE 27.2 and have a few questions. When properly installed does it replace the current antenna or uses an additional spot on the roof. Has anyone ever had a problem with trees on your site, can you move vehicle around to get a signal. Is this a frequent problem. Is it an issue of using the directv receiver on one TV and using another source on the others. Thanks for all advice.
It does not replace your current TV antenna. My old Hurricane 35M had a spot on the roof marked for satellite installation (above the cockpit), and I had the Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV dish installed. Yes, trees can block the DirecTV signal if they are blocking a south-western view of the sky. Whether or not you can move the vehicle around depends on the size of the lot, or if another lot with a better view is available.

Depending on how you wire it, you can have a DirecTV receiver in each room, you could get an HDMI splitter to use one receiver but transmit the signal to another TV (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), or you buy a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver that wirelessly transmits the picture from one TV to another (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tran...r+and+receiver). I just installed this wireless system in my new travel trailer and it works great!!!

Lots of options for you.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Have had them installed on the current Gemini and former DP. Installer will find 'the' spot on your roof to mount, there has to be space for it to land when you stow it, run the necessary cables etc. Trees are always a potential problems with any satellite. When registering I always ask for a satellite friendly space, and usually get one with no problems. Sometimes you can move your coach some in the site, but usually not enough to make a difference. You still have to be able to get to the pedestal and water and sewer connection, and clear things like posts, trees and shrubs with your extended slides, so there are a number of limitations as far as placement on any site pad. I have the wingard SWM3 system, fully automatic and HD, love it, it always works.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We have a Winegard Carryout G2+ mounted on our roof about halfway between the AC units and right above the video cabinet. That made wiring runs a lot easier plus it is clear of any of the other obstructions on the roof.

As said before, this does not replace your over-the-air antenna. Yes you should be able to watch DirecTV on one TV and select a different video source for another TV. We updated our HDMI switch to a true matrix 4x4 HDMI switch so we have inputs from satellite, AppleTV, Amazon FireStick, and Xbox One and can switch between them. We also have a fan in the back of the AV compartment to help vent the hot air and replaced the front AV door with a screen.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Trees in thw way?

Isn't that why we keep chainsaws and campfires around?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
I've been looking at the RF Mogul dishes. Supposedly superior to the others albeit more $. Anyone with experience with RF Mogul please chime in.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
I've been looking at the RF Mogul dishes. Supposedly superior to the others albeit more $. Anyone with experience with RF Mogul please chime in.
Ive been looking at them also. Their advantage over the traveller is their system is modular. If something breaks rf mogul can send you the part.

If the traveller breaks the entire dish has to be sent to wineguard

Im still undecided between the two

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 AM   #8

Model: ACE 27.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #3828
Thank you everyone for the tips.