Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7805
Dishtv

We're full timers since April 2018. Been using a Hopper receiver with Winegard antenna. I turn the antenna and it unfolds and finds the satellite. Then I call Dish, tell them my current address and in about 15 minutes I have tv with local programming. This has worked fine for almost 4 years.

Got to Shreveport, LA Saturday. This time Dish said I can't do it anymore. Closed my account and referred me to Dish Outdoors which uses ONLY a Wally receiver. Wally has 1 tuner; Hopper has 2. Wally needs an external hard drive to record; Hopper has a DVR. So I get less because I'm in an rv.

Just got done talking with a supervisor. Asked when the policy changed and he said there was no change, they're enforcing it now to avoid the conflict with Dish policy.

Hopper receiver in my rv obviously works so it's not a technical issue. All I get from Dish is having a Hopper in an rv "conflicts" with Dish policy. Waiting now to get a call from the supervisor's supervisor. Hoping to get someone with enough horsepower who will let me keep the Hopper.

Larry

Old 01-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Moral to the story... you can't beat the "system". The big telcom operators will ALWAYS be one step ahead. Look what's happened to college football, where the "big games" used to be on broadcast TV. Even the college TV stations don't carry their own team broadcast... which tells you all you need to know.

I'm not a big Elon Musk fanboy, but I think the Starlink rollout is going to be the best offering for the RV community... IF it stays affordable, AND if Musk sticks to his advertised plan. If so, (after equipment purchase) roughly $100/month buys you internet for wherever you are in the contiguous U.S. - just take your home internet with you. There's supposedly a mobile friendly receiver/antenna in the works.

The bonus is Starlink MAY force the other mobile players to actually compete instead of colluding... at least until Musk falls victim to the "collective regulatory strong arm".
Old 01-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We decided last fall to not put up the Satellite for one trip, no TV period camping

Amazingly we survived

I just sent back 6 receivers in three boxes to DirecTV

Tuscany, Lake Home, and Shop

Going all this season with no TV and will decide about 2023 when time comes

I do have Fiber at the SB so still connected
Old 01-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Larry:
I, too, have the Winegard Trav’ler on my rig.
I have a residential account with Hopper3 & Joey at home.
Since I’m not a full-timer, I leave my Hopper3 at home when we travel.

I’ve opted for the Wally + External Hard Drive in my RV. It’s an additional $5/month added to my $100/mo residential bill.

With this method…I can choose to take my Hopper3 with me in my RV any time I want & it’ll work just fine.

I guess I’m wondering what you’re actually musing about here.

- that they won’t give you local channels at you new location
Or
- that they’re disconnecting your Hopper because it’s now against policy to have a non-residential account with only a Hopper
Old 01-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I feel all your pain. Got rid of everything directv and went to YouTube tv no limits on cloud recording. Watch on TV phone anything..have t mobile home on road $50 month trip in many states excellent internet...as a matter of fact in Las Cruces nm..Verizon buffers terrible..t mobile 1.1 GPS
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:53 PM   #6

Brand: Keystone
Model: Montana HC 375FL 5th whee
State: Indiana
THOR #25836
We dropped both DishTV and DirectTV years ago and went back to strictly over-the-air television. Times changed a little, a little pandemic happened, had the office door locked on us and told to work from home. It's a brand new world now. Meanwhile, discovered the Visible Phone, connected a portable Router/wifi so multiple devices can operate, and purchased 2 Roku Smart televisions. Took everything on the road, work computers, television streaming, and a happy, happy VERY happy 2021 camping year happened. We pay for Amazon Prime, everything else is free ... except the cost of the $40 a month internet service through Visible.

Nope, done with Dish, done with Direct, done with getting my billfold fleeced every month by them for nothing but advertisment and the same shows over and over again.

Consider a change completely and break away completely form the satellite sharks!

Just adding my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2022, 08:15 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
We dropped both DishTV and DirectTV years ago and went back to strictly over-the-air television. Times changed a little, a little pandemic happened, had the office door locked on us and told to work from home. It's a brand new world now. Meanwhile, discovered the Visible Phone, connected a portable Router/wifi so multiple devices can operate, and purchased 2 Roku Smart televisions. Took everything on the road, work computers, television streaming, and a happy, happy VERY happy 2021 camping year happened. We pay for Amazon Prime, everything else is free ... except the cost of the $40 a month internet service through Visible.

Nope, done with Dish, done with Direct, done with getting my billfold fleeced every month by them for nothing but advertisment and the same shows over and over again.

Consider a change completely and break away completely form the satellite sharks!

Just adding my 2 cents. Good luck!
Do you use Visible phone for wifi hot spot for streaming. It's only up to 5Mbps
Old 01-26-2022, 09:10 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
And Visible doesn't work here in Quartzsite. Too many others using the cell tower I think. Worked great in November.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:26 PM   #9

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Yuuup!
Streaming, as appealing as it sounds, doesn’t work for me at this time.
So I’ll patiently wait for technology to catch up.

In the meantime, my DISHnet system works flawlessly in every case except if I’m parked in a tunnel.
Then I use my DISH Anywhere App & stream it to my TV.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #10

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
We have a Hopper at home and also a Wally connected to my house antenna. I download movies to my external DVR on the Wally while at home. Unfortunately, the operating systems of the hopper and Wally are not compatable for sharing DVR recordings. When we travel, I take the Wally and its DVR. We can watch recorded stuff while stationary or rolling. We also have a Tailgater Pro. Sometimes we hook it up, but much of the time in campsites we are parked under tree cover. I also have some concerns about theft so I have a locked cable between the Tailgater and RV when it is out. This system works well for me.
BTW, getting DISH to hook up my Wally to the house antenna along with the Hopper was a major effort. Several times I was told by "Technical Support" that it couldn't be done. Then it took three visits from installers to get it right and reliable. Persistence proved that it could be done.
Jim C.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:26 PM   #11

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
We have a Hopper at home and also a Wally connected to my house antenna. I download movies to my external DVR on the Wally while at home. Unfortunately, the operating systems of the hopper and Wally are not compatable for sharing DVR recordings. When we travel, I take the Wally and its DVR. We can watch recorded stuff while stationary or rolling. We also have a Tailgater Pro. Sometimes we hook it up, but much of the time in campsites we are parked under tree cover. I also have some concerns about theft so I have a locked cable between the Tailgater and RV when it is out. This system works well for me.
BTW, getting DISH to hook up my Wally to the house antenna along with the Hopper was a major effort. Several times I was told by "Technical Support" that it couldn't be done. Then it took three visits from installers to get it right and reliable. Persistence proved that it could be done.
Jim C.
Dish anywhere you can record anything that is on the DVR to a tablet or phone to watch later on that device or play it on the tv you're watching
Old 02-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Montana HC 375FL 5th whee
State: Indiana
THOR #25836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Do you use Visible phone for wifi hot spot for streaming. It's only up to 5Mbps
Yes. 4 different Roku televisions and streaming on our laptop computers. Doesn't miss a beat.

A portable router is actually attached to the phone, and the router sends out the wifi signal. It lets us run multiple devices at the same time, and all work perfect, even when streaming on one of our Roku televisions.

We are not "gamers" so I have no clue how reliable it would be there, or how much lag time there is. Gaming demands almost instantaneous response time.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:55 PM   #13

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Yes. 4 different Roku televisions and streaming on our laptop computers. Doesn't miss a beat.

A portable router is actually attached to the phone, and the router sends out the wifi signal. It lets us run multiple devices at the same time, and all work perfect, even when streaming on one of our Roku televisions.
Good to know thanks