Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Disinfecting spray - bleach strength, lifespan?

I am fairly new to RVing - we have owned our Thor Siesta 24ft Class C for about 3 years. As part of my dump station gear, I carry a spray bottle of water with 3% bleach. Not sure how I came up with that concentration - probably got it somewhere on the web... Oh - and I probably last dumped and refilled the bottle about a year ago.

Anyway, with all the Corona virus news, I read that the proper disinfecting ratio for bleach to water is 10%, not 3%. And - the life span of this solution is 24 HOURS! So you are supposed to make a new batch EVERY DAY!

So - what do you all do for disinfecting? Have you seen any of the recent write-ups on proper disinfecting? Is the virus much stronger than ordinary American bacteria? I am not going to make a new batch every day - I see Clorox (and probably others) sell some product in a spray bottle that disinfects, and has a 1 year life span - sold out, now, of course...

Looking for answers... Thanks!

Dan

Old 04-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just use Lysol that already has
bleach in it
Old 04-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
I am fairly new to RVing - we have owned our Thor Siesta 24ft Class C for about 3 years. As part of my dump station gear, I carry a spray bottle of water with 3% bleach. Not sure how I came up with that concentration - probably got it somewhere on the web... Oh - and I probably last dumped and refilled the bottle about a year ago.

Anyway, with all the Corona virus news, I read that the proper disinfecting ratio for bleach to water is 10%, not 3%. And - the life span of this solution is 24 HOURS! So you are supposed to make a new batch EVERY DAY!

So - what do you all do for disinfecting? Have you seen any of the recent write-ups on proper disinfecting? Is the virus much stronger than ordinary American bacteria? I am not going to make a new batch every day - I see Clorox (and probably others) sell some product in a spray bottle that disinfects, and has a 1 year life span - sold out, now, of course...

Looking for answers... Thanks!

Dan
According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Disinfecting spray also has contact time requirements. I've seen folks spray the spigot then immediately connect their water hose and turn on the water. I don't know if that's doing any good even with fresh disinfecting solution.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

Model: Siesta
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Disinfecting spray also has contact time requirements. I've seen folks spray the spigot then immediately connect their water hose and turn on the water. I don't know if that's doing any good even with fresh disinfecting solution.

So, jtyphoid - what do you use? I realize any product you used 6 months ago may not be readily available, now and for the foreseeable future...

Dan
Old 04-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
So, jtyphoid - what do you use? I realize any product you used 6 months ago may not be readily available, now and for the foreseeable future...

Dan
I don't usually use a disinfecting spray, just nitrile gloves when handling sewer stuff, proper technique when removing the gloves, and hand washing after that. I'm also careful to avoid cross contamination between sewer stuff and fresh water stuff.

I've occasionally used Lysol spray, when I've happened to think of it.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I don't use anything when dumping the RV, never have and probably never will. When I'm done, I wash my hands with soap and whatever temperature water is left in the water heater. For general cleaning around the camper I use Fabuloso in a spray bottle. Trash cans get a spray of Lysol before the liner goes in because that's what Mom always did.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Just remember don"t drink the black water.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Fortunately Covid is a respiratory virus and not excreted GI, so the only risk is handling something that a Covid infected person with respiratory particles on his hands has touched. Soap and water work fine. However, GI viruses, hepatitis, salmonella etc are GI transmitted and are a risk in a sewage area. Your best defense are gloves and hand washing. Bleach will fade your clothing if you miss and is not the best choice for this purpose. Hand sanitizer works fairly well but not as good as soap and water.
Also fresh water should not be taken on near a dump site.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
Fortunately Covid is a respiratory virus and not excreted GI, so the only risk is handling something that a Covid infected person with respiratory particles on his hands has touched. Soap and water work fine. However, GI viruses, hepatitis, salmonella etc are GI transmitted and are a risk in a sewage area. Your best defense are gloves and hand washing. Bleach will fade your clothing if you miss and is not the best choice for this purpose. Hand sanitizer works fairly well but not as good as soap and water.
Also fresh water should not be taken on near a dump site.
Study: COVID-19 Is Also Spread by Fecal-Oral Route. Sometimes I don’t know is best answer...so I dunno...
Old 04-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool

We've been using Microban 24 around the house. We'll probably use it in the MH if we ever get off house arrest.

https://www.microban24.com/products/...-spray-citrus/
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #12

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Covid19 virus has been found in stool but a recent WHO report says that "Fecal--oral transmission does not appear to be a significant factor in the spread of Covid infection." On the other hand, hepatitis and salmonella are miserable diseases, so good hygiene remains important at the dump station. Besides, news about Covid changes every week.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:32 AM   #13

Model: vegas 24.1
THOR #12326
I use 70% alcohol and 1 orange peel in a spray bottle. the oil in the peel doesn't dry out the hands and smells like orange. from what I read, bleach can take up to 5 min to kill a virus and alcohol 5 sec.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
i had no idea bleach degraded so fast.. now i have to look at production dates.

i use soap and hot water on the fresh water hose bib connection. and always wash my hands with warm soapy water after putting away or hooking up the sewer hose.

never had a "fecal to oral" incident, that even sounds horrible.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
Covid19 virus has been found in stool but a recent WHO report says that "Fecal--oral transmission does not appear to be a significant factor in the spread of Covid infection." On the other hand, hepatitis and salmonella are miserable diseases, so good hygiene remains important at the dump station. Besides, news about Covid changes every week.
So why make a definitive statement one way or the other...if you don’t know just say you don’t know...do you really believe what the W.H.O. says?