Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Do you have an emergency evacuation plan?

This is meant to be a public service announcement.

I want to stress how important it is to have an emergency evacuation plan when you are out in your RV. We have one and had the unfortunate opportunity to use it at 2 AM Sunday morning. Please…knowing how to escape the RV is one thing but having a plan as to what to do is another.

We were woken up Sunday morning to a loud pop in the coach and the loss of AC power. It sounded like a transformer outside had blown up. We looked around and the fridge switched to DC/propane and were perplexed. Then the LP/CO detector went off and we smelled electrical. Then there was smoke coming from under the bed and the smoke detector started - we looked at each other and said GET OUT. The plan we have is for the wife to grab the cat and throw her in the laundry bin and exit, I’m to exit and turn power off at the pedestal and close the propane tank. The plan worked flawlessly - we were both outside in our PJs with the cat.

I went back in the coach after grabbing the fire extinguisher to assess whether there was something I could do. We weren’t on fire so I turned on the bathroom fan to evacuate the smoke. After 30 minutes we ventured back inside to find that the ATS had fried. We still had DC power. After about an hour we decided to pack up and head for home. DC got the slide in and jacks up and we took the short drive home at 3:30 AM.

For anyone camping at Fort Mcallister Sunday night hearing alarms and commotion on Possum Trot near campsite 50 - that was us. I apologize for all the noise.

Bottom line: If you don’t have an evacuation plan then you should make one. Be safe.

Jim Hill

Old 02-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad that your plan worked, and everything worked out reasonably well!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #3

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
I've had the converter capacitors blow on my unit and it does make quite a stinky smoke cloud, so I know what it is like. Glad all are safe and you made it home without further incident.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #4

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Sorry to hear your story. Great plan. I need one and will put one in place.

Thank you
Old 02-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Does your plan include alternate egress protocols?
Old 02-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've asked several friends/fellow campers..."do you know exactly how to open your emergency escape windows (most every camper has 2, 1 in front and another in rear) in the event of a totally blacked out escape you may need to make through them or if your door wont open and you're on fire?" No one knew but they immediately looked into it. The knowledge and ability to act in total darkness is vital and these windows can stick shut if not operated once every few months or so.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:40 PM   #7

Model: Delano 24FB
State: Nevada
THOR #25401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
This is meant to be a public service announcement.

I want to stress how important it is to have an emergency evacuation plan when you are out in your RV. We have one and had the unfortunate opportunity to use it at 2 AM Sunday morning. Please…knowing how to escape the RV is one thing but having a plan as to what to do is another.

We were woken up Sunday morning to a loud pop in the coach and the loss of AC power. It sounded like a transformer outside had blown up. We looked around and the fridge switched to DC/propane and were perplexed. Then the LP/CO detector went off and we smelled electrical. Then there was smoke coming from under the bed and the smoke detector started - we looked at each other and said GET OUT. The plan we have is for the wife to grab the cat and throw her in the laundry bin and exit, I’m to exit and turn power off at the pedestal and close the propane tank. The plan worked flawlessly - we were both outside in our PJs with the cat.

I went back in the coach after grabbing the fire extinguisher to assess whether there was something I could do. We weren’t on fire so I turned on the bathroom fan to evacuate the smoke. After 30 minutes we ventured back inside to find that the ATS had fried. We still had DC power. After about an hour we decided to pack up and head for home. DC got the slide in and jacks up and we took the short drive home at 3:30 AM.

For anyone camping at Fort Mcallister Sunday night hearing alarms and commotion on Possum Trot near campsite 50 - that was us. I apologize for all the noise.

Bottom line: If you don’t have an evacuation plan then you should make one. Be safe.

Jim Hill
Wow...glad everyone is ok, and I agree it's a great idea to have a run-through of evacuation procedures.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:29 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I've asked several friends/fellow campers..."do you know exactly how to open your emergency escape windows (most every camper has 2, 1 in front and another in rear) in the event of a totally blacked out escape you may need to make through them or if your door wont open and you're on fire?" No one knew but they immediately looked into it. The knowledge and ability to act in total darkness is vital and these windows can stick shut if not operated once every few months or so.
Good info-- Check which type window you have, some hinge at the top and lift up, others lift up a short distance and release, falling to the ground. Know how to open but be ready to catch the window. Open occasionally or they will stick.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:56 AM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Both of our bathroom windows open with a lever type latch

Everyone should have an escape plan

Good point
Old 02-08-2022, 03:34 AM   #10

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Both of our bathroom windows open with a lever type latch

Everyone should have an escape plan

Good point
How large is yer bathroom????
Old 02-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #11

THOR #22927
Has anyone thought about adding a smoke alarm, either under the bed were all the wiring and electrical is, or on the outside bed frame. Instead of wait until smoke reaches the ceiling to set off the ceiling alarm?

Thoughts
Old 02-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
How large is yer bathroom????
Certainly big enough to easily crawl/jump out a window

Window openings are 28 inches wide when you flip them up.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #13

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Certainly big enough to easily crawl/jump out a window

Window openings are 28 inches wide when you flip them up.
So you must have two biffys... I have one wee one, no window, just skylight, the room is big enough to take one idea into, cause it ain't big enough to change you mind while inside.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:26 PM   #14

THOR #22927
Any thoughts to post 11.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #15

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I think we will place several smoke alarms in the camper.
Can't possibly hurt.

Also, there have been posts about escape windows not having a hing, just falling out by design. So be careful if testing them.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #16
MLP

THOR #17478
If anyone has been to a fire demo for RV's, once flames are present the fire consumes two feet per second. Get out. If the dog or cat is next to you dump out the window and follow ASAP. Forget everything else. That is what is taught. If you pet(s) are not within reach, get out. Your pets will die, but so will you of you don't.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
...That is what is taught. If you pet(s) are not within reach, get out. Your pets will die, but so will you of you don't.
Sad... but true!
Old 02-12-2022, 12:39 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
What I learned... ...Previous RV, 36 Diesel pusher. article on IRV-2 about RV fire safety and escape... ... I built a fire escape ladder, cut down one from Kidde, modified top to grip RV bedroom window sill. Mounted and accessible on the base of the bed. Did a great job.... So I tried it... found I needed a pillow or corner of mattress to protect from very sharp window sill. Out the window, but now needed a wooden prop to hold the hinged window open. Down the floppy ladder feet first, and holding the window sill my feet were only 6 inches off the ground. ...obviously .over-engineered.. . (wife was amused)
Didn't need a ladder, do need to protect from the window edge. Lower the wife and follow feet first. Quick counts after all.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How about some pictures??
Old 02-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
do you use a Surge Protector for your rig?