Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #1

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Do you lock your RV while it’s in storage?

Do you lock your RV while it’s in storage? A thief recently hit the storage yard where I keep my motorhome. He hit 35 RV’s over a period of five nights before anyone realized the break-ins were taking place. Broke two windows on my coach, but only stole a few items that were worth less than $150. Cost to replace the two windows is $3500 and my motorhome is out of commission until probably January before I can get the repairs completed.

I’m now thinking I’d have been better off to have just left the motorhome unlocked. We don’t really have anything of significant value in it, and locking it up doesn’t seem to protect it anyway. If I hadn’t locked it, they probably wouldn’t have broken the windows and I’d only be out the small items they decided to steal.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Always leave ours locked.

The yard where we keep it is a pretty busy auto restoration business and they also started renting Cruise America RV's so during weekdays there is always people around and they have a camera system up.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #3

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Always leave ours locked.

The yard where we keep it is a pretty busy auto restoration business and they also started renting Cruise America RV's so during weekdays there is always people around and they have a camera system up.

Our’s also has video surveillance, but apparently it’s not checked unless there’s a reason to do so. Once they checked the video, they had some pretty good shots of the thief.

I was upset that it went on for 5 nights before it was even noticed. Had they know it was happening after the 1st night, most of the break-ins could have been avoided. The owner of the lot told me this is the first time anything like this has ever happened at his lot.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Unnoticed for five days, find a more secure storage facility and keep it locked.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Unnoticed for five days, find a more secure storage facility and keep it locked.
What he said!!
Old 11-26-2021, 07:34 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
This. The owners of our storage facility do a walk through of the entire complex every day checking everything. They even check all outlets of any motorhomes using electricity to make sure a breaker or GFI has not tripped.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #7

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
We lock ours every night and it is at home. Most of the times petty thieves just try the door and pass it by if it locked.

Can I ask how they know it was 5 days before being caught? Not doubting you but I doubt very seriously thieves would go to the same place to break and enter 5 days in a row? Even if they they knew the place had worthless security; that is beyond bold.

Unless that place comes up with some new security system, and / or a night watchman, I would get my RV out of that location ASAP.

If nothing changes, those thieves are coming back.

Can I ask...

Where any Catalytic Converters stolen? Sound like your windows cost more to replace than a stolen Cat?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I had tools stolen out of my truck toolbox, I forgot to lock it back, & was told by my insurance agent that if it had been locked then broken into to steal the items insurance would replace whatever was stolen, being unlocked = uninsured.
So my point is lock it up & find a more secure storage facility!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I had tools stolen out of my truck toolbox, I forgot to lock it back, & was told by my insurance agent that if it had been locked then broken into to steal the items insurance would replace whatever was stolen, being unlocked = uninsured.
So my point is lock it up & find a more secure storage facility!

I don't want to beat a dead horse on gas and gas stations, but I believe the same is true if you leave your keys in the ignition while getting gas or going inside the convenience store and your car is stolen because the thief simply got in the car and drove off.

I had a lock box that I kept at the marina locked for 14 years and never had an issue. Moved out of the marina and put that lock box on the side of my house and kept it locked. It got stolen. The thieves took the whole box I guess they figured out how to open it up later. Contents were priceless to me as it had a lot of antique classics fishing gear from my deceased father in law that I could not replace.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
This isn't the 50's, 60's or even 70's anymore. Lock your stuff.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Amen!
Old 11-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Amen!
Did they make Cars and RVs in the 50s and 60s? More like lock up your horse and buggies
Old 11-26-2021, 11:29 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Did they make Cars and RVs in the 50s and 60s? More like lock up your horse and buggies
Go visit the national rv museum in Elkhart and you may be surprised.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:37 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Go visit the national rv museum in Elkhart and you may be surprised.
I just did a virtual visit to minimize my gas expenditures, but you are right, and I stand corrected

This is a Thor RV and I can assure you it is well before my time and I didn't know such a thing existed.

I bet the Duck has one of these stashed away someplace in Arizona
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor RV Museum.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	35010  
Old 11-26-2021, 11:38 PM   #15

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
We are at a place with a secure garage door. Security cameras for total coverage and razor wire on top of the fencing. Other less secure places are having a rash on catalytic converters being stolen. I leave mine unlocked plus being in a garage we have pretty much everything we every take inside too so no point in locking it.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:48 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I keep mine locked at our storage facility. It has cameras and staff that go through the lot daily. You have to have a pass card to open the gate to enter. My pass card allows me to enter 24/7. It has cinderblock walls and fencing around the entire facility. My HOA does not permit me to store it at my residence.

Paul
Old 11-27-2021, 12:00 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Ours is completely empty, winterized and locked sitting in the backyard drive. Fenced yard in semi rural area. The yard is under surveillance by several methods... not the least is a very curious "critter gutter". I pity the fool...
Old 11-27-2021, 12:01 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Change place use your yard lock!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Ahhh... the kids rhese days are just so cute...
Old 11-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Ahhh... the kids rhese days are just so cute...
Unless that bus thing that they had on the Partridge Family was an RV; I don't think I saw my first RV until college? I was fascinated how they would come up on campus 3 or 4 days before a football game. I use to think all RV owners were millionaires that never had to work and had plenty of money to just travel all the time. That RV in the museum looks almost as old as the Model T.