Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #7829
Do you need to use drop in cleaners after each flush?

My wife and I are on different sides.... I say you should use a drop in or liquid cleanser each time you use the toilet .....My wife thinks you don't have to use drop ins or cleansing liquid every time .....what does the forum experts say or think or do ? Thanks , Frank and Jane

Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Just one time every time after you clean the black tank, about 2-4 oz mixed with about 2-3 gallons of water. That would get pretty expensive if you added after every visit to the bathroom... at least it would be for me. 😉
Old 06-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #3

State: Colorado
THOR #5477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankandjane View Post
My wife and I are on different sides.... I say you should use a drop in or liquid cleanser each time you use the toilet .....My wife thinks you don't have to use drop ins or cleansing liquid every time .....what does the forum experts say or think or do ? Thanks , Frank and Jane

Only one time for the tank. Flush the tank, add a couple gallons of clean water and the cleaner. Only need to add cleaner per tank, not for each flush.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I follow the directions that came with the add-in; that's generally once per tank cleanout.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:54 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The drop ins would total about $1.00 per flush if you do it every flush. Also DO NOT leave the black tank drain valve open when connected to sewer, the gray can be open til a day or two before dumping black, dump black first then rinse hose with gray.
Sorry! You'll have to admit to her she was right, just man up & tell her, it'll only hurt a minute. LOL!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankandjane View Post
Frank, there is nothing worse than problems with a black tank. I have been very lucky and avoided build up, odors, leaks, and numerous other issues while full time and now part time.

The RV toilet/tank system is simple. There is no trap with water in the bottom of your toilet. The tank is vented up through the roof which helps keep the odor of the enclosed tank from hitting you in the face when you stand over the john and flush. The object is to keep enough water in the black tank so the waste and paper you deposit will be covered, to help it break down. Most black tank additives will speed up this process and help a little with some odor control. The key is to dump and rinse every time the tank is 1/2 to 3/4 full. When you rinse you should do it enough times that water is coming out perfectly clear. Then add 3 to 5 gallons of water, and your additive, and start depositing the nasties in it again.

After using the built in flush system on our first RV I switched to a Flush King attachment. It allows me to quickly backfill my black tank several times for a good cleaning out. I also close my black valve and open the gray and backflush that tank every so often. Gray tanks can develop odors over time from food pieces, hair, and other junk getting stuck in them. The Flush King allows better maintenance of all tanks IMHO.