Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2024, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #31689
Does 28A need leveling and chocks?

When we purchased our Four Winds 28A, no one recommended that we need leveling blocks or wheel chocks. I read on other RV sites that Class C motorhomes should be leveled etc. Can anyone here advise me if I need to worry about doing this on our unit? Thanks.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:02 PM   #2
It's 'towed', not toad.

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Unless using your slide in the OUT position, no rv needs leveled ever.
Propane fridge potential misconduct if you're at many degrees off kilter but no other reason than comfort.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:14 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #31689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Unless using your slide in the OUT position, no rv needs leveled ever.
Propane fridge potential misconduct if you're at many degrees off kilter but no other reason than comfort.
Thanks. Our unit doesn't have slides, so I think we're good :-)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:22 PM   #4
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
You are good.
We don't level ours any more than comfort dictates, and that usually is just driving a bit back and forth in an rv spot like an old dog circling before he lays down.

Some people make a hobby of that
Leveling thing
And spend an hour doing it.

And
This site is the best on the website for real info.
If I'm wrong i get corrected quickly.

We're pretty honest about rv's here, where other sites are more in to justifications.

You won't find anyone here misleading you because
'My dad said'
Or some fad opinion that isn't fact.

Try here first for answers.

Old 05-22-2024, 10:32 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Wow the 28A was the 1st coach we wanted. By then I was scared to death to by anything with a slide.

Today, we have automatic levelers and I carry wooden blocks that I made for leveling an also for chocks.

90% of the time I level it for prepping to let slide out. Our slide NEVER goes out without levelers down. When we do level it is push of one button and it is done in about a minute. I don't recall ever manually leveling short of when I was trying to manual level just to learn how it works. Actually I take that back, I manually leveled about a year ago, when RV had to be towed by roadside assistance to replace a blown tire. They ask if I could raised the front which I did so they they just slid right under with no damage to fiber glass.

They wooden blocks are mainly used to go under jacks depending on condition of ground, or when an auto level lifts one tire I put blocks under that tire.

The other 10% of the time is when we shower and the water needs to drain. We spend a lot of nights with slide not out. Think overnight at a rest stop. My wife will not get in the shower if it has standing water. Of course you can use a squeegee, but it is just one button and it is done.

I have never level because of the fridge. Our fridge may be un-level & out of tolerance all the time, because I never turn the fridge off on a trip.

I hope this gives you more context on how leveling may be used or needed. While you don't need to in 28A in most situations, you can buy blocks for dirt cheap. They may be nice to have if you ever got annoyed with coach not being level. I carry 4 orange cones that technically I do not need, but I rather have than not have.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:21 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Another reason for reasonable leveling is on rainy days your skillet contents slide to one side. I hate when that happens!
Old 05-23-2024, 01:03 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Another reason for reasonable leveling is on rainy days your skillet contents slide to one side. I hate when that happens!
If we brainstorming, I will add another. There have been times when ACs were running and the condensate would run off the front of RV off a window, and worse create mud or water puddle on the same side as our awning. So if I level, that drainage flows to the rear via the channel.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-23-2024, 01:20 AM   #8

THOR #16721
And depending on bed orientation, there's that "head lower than feet" thing. Or the rolling downhill smashing your spouse thing...
Old 05-23-2024, 01:47 AM   #9

THOR #13058
If you know you are not level, also be conscious that the fresh water tank and holding tanks may give you false readings. The errant readings being displayed from working sensors may display a level being higher or lower than actual. Could be problematic inconvenience on an actually overfilled waste/holding tank or actually underfilled fresh water tank.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:20 AM   #10

THOR #30861
Our 28A rig does not have levelling jacks. We choose sites that are 'level' and drive in so the nightime head orientation is up. Bought a cantilever device that straps under the bumper to reduce shake in the bedroom while the 'other person' walks around and it doesn't work - thoughts on that?
Old 05-23-2024, 02:26 AM   #11

THOR #16721
One of my first major upgrades was spending $3k on Big Foot hydraulic levelers... and I'll never go back to the dark side... Rock solid, no rocking suspension - and it's level!
Old 05-23-2024, 02:50 AM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
It’s like crunchy peanut butter…
Once you’ve tried it you’ll never go back

That is, I will never, ever own another RV without hydraulic levelers
Full-Stop!!!
Old 05-23-2024, 02:55 AM   #13

THOR #30861
I do prefer crunchy over smooth - so thanks!
Old 05-23-2024, 03:33 AM   #14
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
As comfort dictates.

Old 05-23-2024, 03:41 AM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400miles View Post
Our 28A rig does not have levelling jacks. We choose sites that are 'level' and drive in so the nightime head orientation is up. Bought a cantilever device that straps under the bumper to reduce shake in the bedroom while the 'other person' walks around and it doesn't work - thoughts on that?
Our class C came with 12v stabilizer jacks - a pair of scissor jacks on a bar across the rear frame. It was mediocre at best for stabilizing the motorhome... useless for actually leveling. I removed that heavy sucker after getting the leveling system.

You can effectively level the motorhome just by using boards/planks/etc. under the tires. Of course level ground works too. Countless folks have used that method for many years and are perfectly happy.

What I didn't like about that method was it didn't prevent the rocking ... as you described. That doesn't bother some folks, but it did me. The hydraulic jacks lift the frame taking weight off the suspension so it doesn't move. I don't know of any other way to make the coach as rock solid without using leveling jacks.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:24 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Florida
THOR #29103
I carry some 2-by and 3-by wood blocks to park on so that I can get reasonably level. I don't try for perfection; just enough so that the shower water flows towards the drain and doesn't collect at the far end of the shower pan.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:58 PM   #17

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
The beauty of the 28A is no slides and no levelers. We mostly boondock and I always say as I turn off the ignition "setup complete, open the wine" !
Old 05-25-2024, 08:33 PM   #18
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
The beauty of the 28A is no slides and no levelers. We mostly boondock and I always say as I turn off the ignition "setup complete, open the wine" !
This is exactly how we park the 24.1
And
Our other little expeditionary vehicle has a microwave and electric coffee pot and a
12v lunchbox(look it up) while other folk bring a pack of wood and kerosene.

While others are diddling with campfires and colemans, we're off exploring or napping.

Old 05-27-2024, 02:52 AM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
Are you in Marketing by any chance?

I can do exactly as you mostly boondock and I always say as I turn off the ignition "setup complete, open the wine"

In my coach the slides and levelers are optional. I don't have to press any of the buttons to use them if my park setup is complete and I need to get to wine.

It seems to me the real beauty is being able level the coach if you were in situation that warrantied, or ability to extend a wall out to make more space temporarily if needed.

I believe the word Comfort was used earlier. So if I may extend, it is like having Comforter Pillows on your Master Bed. You don't have to use them, but they are there. But to say the beauty of your Master Bed is that it has no Comforter Pillows
Old 05-27-2024, 03:01 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
One of my first major upgrades was spending $3k on Big Foot hydraulic levelers... and I'll never go back to the dark side... Rock solid, no rocking suspension - and it's level!
I remember you and the Big Foot Levelers. Glad to they are working out ok. On our current trip since last (Thursday), I have used the Hydraulic Levers 5 times. One day I will have to time exactly how long it takes to level and out the slide out. My guess the levelers may take 90 sec and the slide extend may take 20 seconds? So that is abut 2 minutes total. Like you, there are times when I may level and not need the slide out.

Tags
leveling; 28a