Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Downsizing

We’re looking to downsize in the near future. Possibly a Class B 24-30 feet. I’ve been looking at a couple in the 24 ft range on the MB chassis. I would love to hear from anyone withe experience and/or opinions regarding pros, cons, maintenance, problems, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
The MB based campers were our first choice when we began to shop. As we had opportunities to get inside them, the closeness began to change our minds. The AC unit on some actually hit my head and the drivers seat while very comfortable, was just too small for me. This led us to our 26.5 foot long Axis model 24.1.

The class B size and drivability is very desirable. As a whole the MB based vehicles seem to be built well.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:26 PM   #3

THOR #7580
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:14 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
We’re looking to downsize in the near future. Possibly a Class B 24-30 feet. I’ve been looking at a couple in the 24 ft range on the MB chassis. I would love to hear from anyone withe experience and/or opinions regarding pros, cons, maintenance, problems, etc. Thanks in advance.

A “B” is a van, so you probably mean B+ (technically a Class C).

Mercedes Sprinter chassis will limit size to lower range of your 24~30 feet. They are usually narrower too, and limited in payload. Above 25~26 feet it likely requires a Ford E-350 or E-450 (or Chevy) chassis.

P.S. — Diesel fuel today is so high compared to gas that it will likely cost more in fuel to drive a Sprinter of equal size and weight.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:25 PM   #5

THOR #7580
Thanks Chance.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A “B” is a van, so you probably mean B+ (technically a Class C).

Mercedes Sprinter chassis will limit size to lower range of your 24~30 feet. They are usually narrower too, and limited in payload. Above 25~26 feet it likely requires a Ford E-350 or E-450 (or Chevy) chassis.

P.S. — Diesel fuel today is so high compared to gas that it will likely cost more in fuel to drive a Sprinter of equal size and weight.
Ain't that the truth! I thought diesel was bad when it was $1 more per gallon. At our Murphy Express yesterday it was almost $2 a gallon above gas: $3.24 vs. $5.15.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 01:50 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We recently downsized from a class A to a 21 ft class B , Winnebago Travato and couldn’t be happier. It was a bit of an adjustment but easier than we feared. I was not a fan of the Promaster van until I drove it.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #8

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
We had a 1993 Roadtrek Class B that we used for a few years and lost it in a huge storage facility fire. In 2019 we bought a class B+ Compass with a MB chassis. The unit has a full side slide and that makes the unit go from being too close to being just right for the two of us. Plenty of storage and features. Only major change we made was to toss the Axxera radio/gps for a Kenwood tablet style. The Axxera was impossible to see during the daytime. We also added Bigfoot leveling jacks, which make setup so simple. Diesel is a bit more expensive, but I get 15MPG which I feel is fantastic for a unit in the 25 ft range. There are plenty of apps that will give you the cheapest fuel in the area you're traveling. Good luck on your search and adventures!
Old 10-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We recently downsized from a class A to a 21 ft class B , Winnebago Travato and couldn’t be happier. It was a bit of an adjustment but easier than we feared. I was not a fan of the Promaster van until I drove it.

Do you have the newer 2022 van chassis with 9-speed transmission? I’m curious to hear from anyone who has the new ProMaster powertrain in a fully built out Class B. I’m wondering if it shifts smoothly, doesn’t hunt for gears, etc. Also what fuel economy/MPG? Not sure if you’ve had it long enough to know even if it is the 9 speed. TIA
Old 10-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ain't that the truth! I thought diesel was bad when it was $1 more per gallon. At our Murphy Express yesterday it was almost $2 a gallon above gas: $3.24 vs. $5.15.

Yes, economics have changed completely. I know of a 28-foot Class B+ on E-450 with 7.3L V8 that has been averaging 11 MPG by limiting highway speed to 60 MPH. Using your observed fuel costs, it would need to get over 17 MPG on diesel, and that’s not going to happen on such a large motorhome. Not only is Sprinter chassis unable to handle a 28-foot MH of that weight, it wouldn’t have enough remaining towing capacity for a Jeep, which the owner will soon start to tow. The 11 MPG is without toad, and will drop some pulling his Jeep.

If diesel remains 60% higher, I expect we will see more gas options in larger motorhomes like those built on F-550 and F-600.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Went from a 36 ft diesel pusher to the Siesta MB Sprinter 24 ft. New 2016, now at 73,000 miles.
Models even from same manufacturer vary greatly in layout and storage. Mine has rear twin beds that convert to a King. 2 theater seats in the slideout. I have outside full pass-thru at the rear, and 1100# OCCC.
Still have the toad from the DP days but seldom use. The Class C is easy to un-camp and use for local travel.
Most MB chassis's have 5000# hitch, depending on how heavy it is loaded that may be limited. At Max Chassis weight the tow vehicle would be limited to 4200#. Also affects Cargo Capacity. I've seen OCCC limits from 790# to 1250# which seems alarming except by the new definition, a full fuel tank is already accounted for so capacity is people, water and cargo. Fully loaded for travel with 2 people, I am still about 300# below GVWR.
Like any RV the layout, storage and function have to fit your use. I've seen some clumsy setups and holding tanks that empty thru crossover plumbing.
Mine serves me well..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
The MB based campers were our first choice when we began to shop. As we had opportunities to get inside them, the closeness began to change our minds. The AC unit on some actually hit my head and the drivers seat while very comfortable, was just too small for me. This led us to our 26.5 foot long Axis model 24.1.

The class B size and drivability is very desirable. As a whole the MB based vehicles seem to be built well.
Same here. We love the look ease of class b....but we and our friends say one cant beat the size, ease of parking, storage, drivability, towing of the vegas and Axis
Old 10-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post

24.1 Model thru 2021 is listed at 25.5’ (or 25’ 6”)
2022 to present is listed at 25.67’ (or 25’ 8”)

That extra foot makes a difference for me
One place we frequent a lot says “must be 25’ or less)
Obviously, I “round down”
Old 10-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post

24.1 Model thru 2021 is listed at 25.5’ (or 25’ 6”)
2022 to present is listed at 25.67’ (or 25’ 8”)

That extra foot makes a difference for me
One place we frequent a lot says “must be 25’ or less)
Obviously, I “round down”
Right on ! We went looking at B to get an idea. They are amazing on outside bit small inside..my wife keeps saying stay with the Vegas!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:48 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Downsizing is just that — making a motorhome smaller. At least down to the point where it becomes “van-based”, or true Class B. That final step in downsizing changes much more that just size IMO. To evaluate a B-van as if it was simply a smaller motorhome is inadequate. There is much more to consider.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:16 AM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Downsizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Do you have the newer 2022 van chassis with 9-speed transmission? I’m curious to hear from anyone who has the new ProMaster powertrain in a fully built out Class B. I’m wondering if it shifts smoothly, doesn’t hunt for gears, etc. Also what fuel economy/MPG? Not sure if you’ve had it long enough to know even if it is the 9 speed. TIA

Yes, ours is a late 2022 model and has the new dashboard, electronic driver assist features and the 9 speed transmission. I am surprised that I like it a lot. We had a 9 speed unit on a GMC Terrain and I did not care for its constant shifting. I believe that in our class B application the transmission rarely uses all 9 gears but I could be wrong. In any case it is smooth and responsive. I’ve only got about 3500 miles so far but according to the trip computer my average mpg is 15.7 and I typically drive it at 72 mph. I used to drive the class A at 65 mph and was happy to get 7mpg.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:30 AM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Yes, ours is a late 2022 model and has the new dashboard, electronic driver assist features and the 9 speed transmission. I am surprised that I like it a lot. We had a 9 speed unit on a GMC Terrain and I did not care for its constant shifting. I believe that in our class B application the transmission rarely uses all 9 gears but I could be wrong. In any case it is smooth and responsive. I’ve only got about 3500 miles so far but according to the trip computer my average mpg is 15.7 and I typically drive it at 72 mph. I used to drive the class A at 65 mph and was happy to get 7mpg.

Thanks for information Pete. That’s excellent fuel economy at your driving speed, given the large van size. For what it’s worth, every report I’ve read state transmission will operate 1st through 7th, and that 8th and 9th won’t engage in normal driving — or ever. Since you more than doubled your MPG, there’s not much to complain about.

Seven gears is probably more than it needs anyway, so that doesn’t concern me much. I do wish manufacturers would offer more floor plans built on ProMaster chassis.

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #18

THOR #7580
Sorry guys, I miss spoke. I’m looking at the small Class C’s. I’m more concerned with the MB maintenance than the mh itself. Any negatives on finding service centers, and/or maintenance cost. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Sorry guys, I miss spoke. I’m looking at the small Class C’s. I’m more concerned with the MB maintenance than the mh itself. Any negatives on finding service centers, and/or maintenance cost. Thanks for all the replies.
This is from Repair pal. Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 Oil Change Cost
The average cost for a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 oil change is between $238 and $268. I think a repair on a diesel would be much higher than a gas engine unless you do everything yourself
Old 11-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I owned a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS from new(2018-2022). I had my local MB dealership service the chassis when needed each year(oil/filter changes...). It usually ran around $600 per year. Oil changes usually were done at the 20,000 mile mark or annually. The dealership replaced my chassis battery once during that time period and did it while under the factory warranty. I had a tune installed in the ecu and that was a big mistake. The tune worked great at first but them started causing issues going into limp mode while out on the road. The dealership did not catch the tune installed and spent 3 weeks trying to figure it out about the limp mode issue. They only charged me $230.00 for all of the work they did trying to locate the issue before I had the tune removed and everything went back to normal. I also installed Sumo Springs on all 4 corners which improved the swaying motion.

Paul