Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedon Elite 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #20751
Drain plug in waer heater

I have the same problem in my new, to me, 2018 26HE. No socket can get in there and I actually bought a cheap slip joint plier to remove it. Problem is you can only get an 1/8 turn each time. I agree that a PEX setup, with ball valve, is in order. Don't mix metals, they don't play well together.
Tim

Old 12-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: British Columbia
THOR #5367
I have an ‘08 34B, but the same silly design as yours, so I know your grazed knuckle pain. I have used a large pair of slip-joint pliers for many years now so the nylon edges are wearing down. I like the idea of adding some pex and some shut-off fittings.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:50 AM   #23

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
That doesn’t work if you have corrosion rod. Although it would be simple to put a separate drain on the tank bottom.
There are 2 brands of water heaters Atwood & Suburban.
Atwood is the one with the complaints mentioned in this post with no anode rod needed.
The Suburban has an anode rod that must be inspected occasionally & easily removed to drain the tank.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:15 AM   #24
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
It better be an Atwood, otherwise without an anode rod in it, he will be replacing it in about two years of age. Don't ask me why I know.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #25

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Need to vent. Just finished winterizing my 2016 Hurricane 35C.
I really like to meet with the engineer that decided the best place for the water heater nylon drain plug was directly behind the propane gas piping.
PS: In a dark alley. There will be blood but most of that from the cuts on my hand from the exhaust flanges. 🤬🤬🤬
6 point socket, universal joint, ratchet. works every time.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #26

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnul@timmade.com View Post
I have the same problem in my new, to me, 2018 26HE. No socket can get in there and I actually bought a cheap slip joint plier to remove it. Problem is you can only get an 1/8 turn each time. I agree that a PEX setup, with ball valve, is in order. Don't mix metals, they don't play well together.
Tim
that is why they make universal joints.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #27

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfixitman View Post
I got a threaded pipe and shut-off valve for plumbing and installed that so no tools, just turn the valve by hand, no drip and easy!
Can you post a picture? We love pictures!
Old 12-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #28

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfixitman View Post
I got a threaded pipe and shut-off valve for plumbing and installed that so no tools, just turn the valve by hand, no drip and easy!
Ask a plumber about that setup. Measure from the bottom of that valve to the bottom of the tank. That's how much sludge and crud you are leaving in the tank.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #29

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Atwood tank outline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Ask a plumber about that setup. Measure from the bottom of that valve to the bottom of the tank. That's how much sludge and crud you are leaving in the tank.
So any plumbers onboard to answer this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AtwoodWH.png
Views:	63
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	27727  
Old 12-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #30

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
When I winterize mine, before bypassing the hot water tank, I leave the plug out and blast water through it to try to wash that crud out. I can theorize (starting to sound like Duckie) that with a turn and a valve it wouldn’t flush through as forcefully. Mine doesn’t have enough space to run a pipe and an elbow out from the drain. Less than an inch. Which is why I would love to see a picture of the pex setup.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
When I winterize mine, before bypassing the hot water tank, I leave the plug out and blast water through it to try to wash that crud out. I can theorize (starting to sound like Duckie) that with a turn and a valve it wouldn’t flush through as forcefully. Mine doesn’t have enough space to run a pipe and an elbow out from the drain. Less than an inch. Which is why I would love to see a picture of the pex setup.

You can buy a small nozzle for that specific purpose. It’s about a foot long and curved at the tip so that you can blast the sediment out. I don’t remember what they cost as I’ve had mine for decades but it can’t be much more than a few dollars.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #32

THOR #6826
Quote:
6 point socket, universal joint, ratchet. works every time.

No it doesn’t. Worked great on my last several coaches but my current Atwood is the design that totally is blocked by the gas line. It’s a silly design for sure.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #33

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCouch View Post
I finally pulled mine out and replace it with a couple fittings, a very short piece of PEX hose, and a small ball valve. Works great.
Great idea man---I'm gonna do THAT!!!!!
Old 12-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #34

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #20269
Feel your pain

Mine (Chateau 28Z) was also a real pain to get out. That, and whoever installed the nylon drain plug absolutely bunged up the corners, so much so that I couldn't get a socket on it. I'm going to need to track down a new one.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
No it doesn’t. Worked great on my last several coaches but my current Atwood is the design that totally is blocked by the gas line. It’s a silly design for sure.
Totally agree and was my point in the first post. Then the experts chime in with ratchets, extensions, deep sockets, etc. The point was Atwood has a very bad design. But, we did receive SOME good input especially the one using PEX. Hopefully we will see pictures of that modification.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:19 AM   #36

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Totally agree and was my point in the first post. Then the experts chime in with ratchets, extensions, deep sockets, etc. The point was Atwood has a very bad design. But, we did receive SOME good input especially the one using PEX. Hopefully we will see pictures of that modification.

Yes I’d consider doing a mod like that but then it would be difficult to flush out the sediment with the special sprayer that works so well. I get quite a bit of deposits out at year end. The cheap stamped offset wrench works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3151.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	27743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3152.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	27744  

Old 12-21-2020, 03:55 AM   #37

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
My gas line is directly in front of the plug on my unit too. After scraping knuckles & butchering a few nylon plugs, I ordered a 15/16 Flex Head Ratchet Wrench from Home Depot.

It cost $30 or so, but since I to take my plug out to winterize & then a few times again in the spring to clear all the calcium deposits with white vinegar, it was worth it to me.

It works like a charm & no more cuts!
Old 12-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #38

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
The cuts, the blood and the cussing are all part of RV maintenance. If they made it easy nobody would be paying the dealer the buck and a half to winterize their RV anymore!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #39

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
So any plumbers onboard to answer this?
nice picture but all those fittings have been on the flat end of my heaters. Not on the round sides.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #40

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Water heater drain plug

First time I used an open/box end wrench. Not easy as the stroke you can get is 30° of turn. Last two times I have a 3/8th air ratchet I am able to work in there. 1 quick comes right out. Hand start it and zip! It's right back in.