Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #2017
ACE 27.1 Memory Foam Topper

My DW and I decided to purchase a King memory foam topper for our bed to help with the comfort. Of course, the mattress in the bedroom is 2" shorter on width and length. That means the topper will be 1" longer/wider on every side. I don't see this as an issue, but we will see how it plays with the slide shut this weekend.

The included fitted bedspread will be the interesting dilemma as it will now have to accommodate both the extra size as well as an extra 4" height. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

I haven't seen any other threads talking about mattress toppers. Is anyone using one successfully?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you tried a place like Foam By Mail?
Browse Memory Foam Toppers for Beds | FoamFactory Inc.

You can get a topper from them custom cut to your dimensions.

We used them to custom make a foam bed for our drop down bunk in the front. Its more comfortable than the other beds in the camper. So much so that the wife might kick the kid out of the bunk and use it herself! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #3

THOR #2017
We have already picked one up at Walmart, but I will keep this link in case we have issues. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #4

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34f
THOR #1845
We found a 3" king memory foam topper at at Big Lots with a cover included for only $120. It's every bit as comfortable as the more expensive one on our bed at home! Don't know if they are still available. It was a little too wide and long so I figured I'd have to trim it, but the sheets and even the form-fitted bed cover that came with our Hurricane fit fine so we didn't trim it. The only place we found for anywhere near that price was overstock.com. Glad we didn't have to order on line sight unseen. Good Luck !!
Happy RVing!!
Donnie & Becky
Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

THOR #2017
We got to sleep on the bed with the memory foam topper this past weekend. It was night and day from the original mattress. It does make the bed taller but all of the covering/sheets/etc still fit fine. It does occlude the storage on the back side of the mattress, but pressing on the mattress still allows access. With the slide shut, there is very minor pressure on the opposite wall from the extended length.

I would recommend highly.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
We picked up a three inch memory foam toper from WalMart. The fit was perfect for the king bed in our RV, and it was inexpensive. With the foam topper the bed in our RV is just as comfortable as the bed at home.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

THOR #2017
It is the simple things in life that make you smile and go, "why didn't I think of that earlier."
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2836
My wife bought a 4" memory foam topper for the king bed in our 2016 Hurricane 27k. The topper was both too wide and too long. So we lined up the top and one side of the mattress with the topper then my wife market the outline of the other two sides underneath the topper using a Sharpie. We then flipped the topper over and, using an electric carving knife, cut off the excess foam along the marked line. When we turned the topper back over it fit the mattress perfectly. She also purchased deep sheets to accommodate the extra height of the bed with the topper on it, but I'm not sure where she got those.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 AM   #9

THOR #2017
Great idea. Thanks for sharing.