Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 25V
State: California
THOR #27248
Drawer Issue - Flimsy Framing

Hello - New to the forum but not new to RV life. 2020 Thor Chateau 25V with drawer issues. I have replaced the latches in the smaller kitchen drawers, but the two drawers under the bench dinette seats are proving to be problematic. The framing piece and finish sheet (two separate pieces) are two narrow and flimsy for installing latches. Latch is currently attached to the 1/2" framing piece, but this is so flimsy it moves when the drawer is closed and isn't really wide enough for installing the latch. Finish piece (about 3/8" wide) is also too narrow to attach latch. Wondering if it would work to gorilla glue the two pieces together in order to have the width needed to secure the latch. Bungy is current solution but would like a more permanent fix.

I was fully aware of Thor issues prior to purchase but the floor plan (single beds with slide out dinette) was a necessity. Suggestions for possible fixes greatly appreciated.

k8mar

Old 06-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A backer board.
Add a board to where you want it thicker.

My thor problem is the opposite. The drawer faces are too thick for standard latches to fit without recessing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Consider these.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:42 PM   #3

THOR #27248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A backer board.
Add a board to where you want it thicker.

My thor problem is the opposite. The drawer faces are too thick for standard latches to fit without recessing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Consider these.
Thanks for the suggestion ducksface. I thought about this but wasn't sure, given the flimsy nature of the framing board, how and where the backer board could be attached.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I've had most of my issues inside the coach in these areas. I finally pulled all drawers out everywhere, reinforced all the framing with backer boards, different materials and fish plating and re-screwed with pre-drilled holes, all of them. No more problems. These workers have no clue what goes on inside an RV during its life, much less the skill to "put together" a model balsa, rubber band powered toy plane. Their assembly skills is bare minimal and they know the problem won't show up for months. By then, they will have switched jobs 5 times. I can say, all my cabinets are solid hardwood built by the Indiana Amish and are premium when delivered to Thor. The problem starts with the installation (thousands of staples, too big of screws driven through balsa wood with too much force). The poor assembly processes seem to flow throughout the coach. Another example is the plumbing in the big slides under the kitchen. All looks good on the assembly floor in static position. One the slide starts torquing stuff (that was engineered to move with the slide)...BOOM.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
without a picture I can't be true in telling you.

The first thing we did when we bought our 24.1 was to unload the $300 of groceries it came with and reinforced every drawer.

Every seam and joint coated with gorilla glue inside and out. Anywhere a metal corner or L bracket could fit, it did.
Some were lined with cedar veneer(only because we could).
Some, if they were to hold fluids were Plasti-dipped inside(thick latex paint would be easier)

About three hours plus drying time. Well worth the lessons and youtube time.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A couple things - make sure the hinge is aligned properly and not putting undue force on the wrong part of the closer. You also might try a few squirts of some "dry lube" (PTFE).
Old 06-29-2022, 05:24 PM   #7

THOR #27248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
without a picture I can't be true in telling you.

The first thing we did when we bought our 24.1 was to unload the $300 of groceries it came with and reinforced every drawer.

Every seam and joint coated with gorilla glue inside and out. Anywhere a metal corner or L bracket could fit, it did.
Some were lined with cedar veneer(only because we could).
Some, if they were to hold fluids were Plasti-dipped inside(thick latex paint would be easier)

About three hours plus drying time. Well worth the lessons and youtube time.
Ducksface - RV is at storage facility. I'll post a picture next time I have it out. Thanks for the suggestions. k8

Tags
drawer