Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Drawer latch

Does anyone have trouble with the drawer latch on the big bottom drawer under the sink? It's hitting and seems to be stuck in the in position not allowing the drawer to close. It is supposed to stick out to allow the drawer to latch but it is shoved in . Any suggestions besides replacing the latch?

Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
Does anyone have trouble with the drawer latch on the big bottom drawer under the sink? It's hitting and seems to be stuck in the in position not allowing the drawer to close. It is supposed to stick out to allow the drawer to latch but it is shoved in . Any suggestions besides replacing the latch?
Since you don't mention what type of coach or RV the big drawer is in it is kind of hard to pinpoint the type of latch you are referring to.

If it is the type I believe you are referring that catch is spring loaded and you should be able to gently pry it back to the open position.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The hook part that part attached to the back drawer face, is adjustable side to side. Make sure the catch part on the drawer frame is in the open position. When you close the drawer, the catch grabs the hook and holds the drawer closed. If the catch is closed and the drawer open, then it cannot engage the hook so it holds the drawer cracked open.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
More advised based on my experience of 4 days ago in our Vegas.
On the way home from Disney we stopped at a rest area to cook some dinner.
My wife couldn't get that drawer to open or close , it was jammed.

I was able to open it enough to unloaded the dishes and other items that were in it. Upon emptying the drawer I discovered that the heavy items had knocked the rear section of the bottom out causing the jam.
It had been stapled together at the rear seam , the staples were to small and they failed..
So pull the drawer out and inspect it to be sure that the same thing hasn't happened to you..

If it has the fix is easy.

l
Old 05-31-2017, 02:38 AM   #5

THOR #7430
The latch will not come out it has been pushed in. I tried a screwdriver to pop it back out but it did not pop out. There is a spring that came out and looks like the latch is broke.
I took it apart and reengaged it and it still does not stick out the way the drawer above it does.
It is a Class C chateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The hook part that part attached to the back drawer face, is adjustable side to side. Make sure the catch part on the drawer frame is in the open position. When you close the drawer, the catch grabs the hook and holds the drawer closed. If the catch is closed and the drawer open, then it cannot engage the hook so it holds the drawer cracked open.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:40 AM   #6

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Since you don't mention what type of coach or RV the big drawer is in it is kind of hard to pinpoint the type of latch you are referring to.

If it is the type I believe you are referring that catch is spring loaded and you should be able to gently pry it back to the open position.
It is a chateau Class C. The latch is stuck in the little box enclosure. I tried prying it out but it doesn't come out.
I just wondered if anyone else has this problem. I tried taking the latch off and it does not come out at its Pivot Point.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 AM   #7

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The catch part on the drawer frame is not in the open position it is hitting it. I tried to open it but was afraid it was going to break. It does not spring back. How hard can you pry it before it breaks?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 AM   #8

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

I was able to open it enough to unloaded the dishes and other items that were in it. Upon emptying the drawer I discovered that the heavy items had knocked the rear section of the bottom out causing the jam.
It had been stapled together at the rear seam , the staples were to small and they failed..
So pull the drawer out and inspect it to be sure that the same thing hasn't happened to you..

l
These were screwed-in latches to the drawer. The latch part that is supposed to stick out does not stick out. I cannot pry it back without fear of it breaking off. The spring inside the latch came out I put it back in but not sure it's right. Meanwhile a drawer is bungee shut.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 AM   #9

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

Its a class C Chateau. The latch does not open out. It seems to be really jammed into the casing.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:53 AM   #10

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

l
Thanks. I think my latch is broke as it wont pop back out. Thx
Old 05-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Does it look like one of these? Our Axis has these--had to replace one after it broke (put in the heavy duty version).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
The catch part on the drawer frame is not in the open position it is hitting it. I tried to open it but was afraid it was going to break. It does not spring back. How hard can you pry it before it breaks?
That sounds like the same latch I had on my prior class C. Normally they break when the latch goes back in (while the drawer is open) and then someone tries to close the drawer, I always carried 2 or 3 spares in the spare parts box.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:58 PM   #13

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Does it look like one of these? Our Axis has these--had to replace one after it broke (put in the heavy duty version).
Yes Jamie those are the same ones. I took it apart in the spring popped out so I stuck it back in and it still sticking but now a screwdriver at least helps it pop back out. I'll see how long this stays with opening the drawer before I buy new latches. They look like they already have the heavy-duty ones . Thanks for the link . Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM   #14

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
My trouble with the drawers stems from having only a single screw on each rail. I have one of the large drawers on the floor waiting for extra screws to be installed.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 AM   #15

THOR #7430
That is funny you mentioned the screw for the drawer. When I open the drawer when it would not shut I noticed there was a screw on the floor inside under the drawer. It probably fell out and that's why it kind of shuts side to side. They need to come up with a better design for their drawer Glides.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #15728
Just had that problem with my 2018 Vegas. Was able to pop the latch back out with 2 screwdrivers, a vice and minimal difficulty. Amazon sells these...Decorite 5838 - RV Black Push Latch - 5lb - CL-308 (1)
Sold by: Hamilton-Bowes. $6.99 ea. Bought one for a spare.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
https://www.amazon.com/Decorite-5838...gateway&sr=8-1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #18

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
If the latch gets stuck out of position my experience has been that the catch can't be fixed. I've replaced 4 of these in my 2015 Vegas. Simple job -- takes about 2 minutes.

Highly recommend buying it from Amazon as shown in the link from 16ACE27. Amazon cost is $6.99. I've bought one at Lazydays RV Service in Tampa, an RV Service place in Mannheim PA, and 2 from 2 different Camping Worlds. Cheapest was $12.99 and most expensive was $16.49. You can get 2 from Amazon what you'll pay for 1 at most RV dealers.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
or buy 5 for $19 or 8 for $25 at the Amazon link above.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Oregon
THOR #4469
I'm having that exact issue with my bottom drawer under the stove. It's not latching closed. Can someone tell me how I can get the drawer out so I can replace the latch?

Here's a few pics of the drawer that's won't close properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_152400.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	18508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_152332.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	18509  

Tags
drawer latch