Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15939
Drifting

I have a 2013 Thor ACE 30.1 and I have really noticed a lot of drift from side to side as I drive down a hwy or interstate. This occurs if I am towing my car or not. Tires are inflated correctly and front end seems to be aligned fine.
I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so were you able to correct it.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
First question i would ask is what do you mean by the alignment SEEMS okay. Have you had it checked?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Is this ACE your first class A motorhome? The stock F53 MH chassis can be a handful to drivel. Most on here have done several mods to the chassis to improve the way the coach handles. The CHF or cheap handling fix would be a place to start, followed by a steering stabilizer. There are numerous threads on this forum describing handling issues and fixes. Suggest you use the search feature on the the forum, type in suspension upgrades or handling issues and several will pop up. There are guys on here smarter than I that have tackled and conquered their handling issues. Welcome aboard and good luck. Mark
Old 07-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
I thought you meant LITERALLY drifting in your RV

But seriously, look into whats called CHF. (cheap handling fix) Start with an alignment and you can get, for example, sumo springs and a steering stabilizer to help it.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandkos View Post
,,, Tires are inflated correctly ,,,
Just to eliminate a maybe, what pressure are you using? I played with pressures when I first got my coach and at around 10 PSI or so over what both Ford and Thor recommended for cold pressure, (80 PSI all around for the 18K lbs chassis with 245/70R 19.5F tires) the coach became a handful to keep it in a lane.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
speaking of tire pressure. on out first trip around 800 miles i assumed the dealer\ford had put in the correct air pressure. so i didnt worry about it. fast foward 6 months and we took a short 200 mile trip. this time after sitting i wanted to check the air pressure. the max on the sidewall was 80psi. the sticker on the driver door said 75psi and the tires were actually ~50 PSI. as soon as i filled them i saw a great improvement in sideways sway. i could actualy let go of the wheel and not drift into the lane next to me.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I have a 2013 Thor ACE 30.1 and I have really noticed a lot of drift from side to side as I drive down a hwy or interstate. This occurs if I am towing my car or not. Tires are inflated correctly and front end seems to be aligned fine.
I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if so were you able to correct it.
How do you visually estimate the front wheels caster. The more caster, the better the coach will track, but it will take more force to turn the wheel. Most rear wheel drive cars alignment specs specify 2 to 4 degrees positive caster. If you don't have 4 degrees positive caster you might give it a try.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Do what they suggested above first.....but you might find you need a HD rear track arm. From what I hear this helps with drifting esp while towing.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #9

Model: Ace 30.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15939
Thanks to all for the tips. I have a lot to consider. This is our second class A. We had a 34 ft Georgia Boy Landeau that seemed to handle better than the 30 ft Ace.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Welcome to the forum! I have a 2013 ACE 30.1 and I know exactly what you are talking about when you say "drifting". It is also like a floating feeling. Almost makes you feel like you dont have quick response as you hold it to the center of your lane. We got new tires, still need to get the alignment. I am hoping that will help.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Do yourself a favor and spend some money on these upgrades.

Front Sumo Springs
Safe T Plus steering stabilizer
Rear Roadmaster additional sway bar.

I put these on my 2017 windsport and it made all the difference in the world.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #12

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Had a C class Thor that drove me. Then an 27.2 ACE 2017 that was better with the CHF but still drifty as you have described. Tech told me to set the tires at 75 front and 80 back and that helped but still, lots of the rig driving me/ Bought the 2016 29M Hurricane and the prev. owner put on the options listed in my signature below. Can't tell you how much better it handles. Had occasion to have to make a serious swerve some time ago and it was great....solid, under control, and back to straight driving without trying to compensate, or over compensate for the maneuver.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #13

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
speaking of tire pressure. on out first trip around 800 miles i assumed the dealer\ford had put in the correct air pressure. so i didnt worry about it. fast foward 6 months and we took a short 200 mile trip. this time after sitting i wanted to check the air pressure. the max on the sidewall was 80psi. the sticker on the driver door said 75psi and the tires were actually ~50 PSI. as soon as i filled them i saw a great improvement in sideways sway. i could actualy let go of the wheel and not drift into the lane next to me.
WHen I picked up our first Freedom Elite from teh dealer, the tires were at 56 lbs and for a 27' coach, that was nowhere near right.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
I have a 2018 ACE 30.2 - CHF on the front was a night and day difference. Will do the rear CHF in a few weeks. Also got a sway bar (more for blowouts) going in soon as well.

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 AM   #15

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #2580
Quote:
I have a 2012 ACE 29.2 and when we got it it did the same thing.
I did the cheap fix which you can find on this site under CHP or cheap fix, plus because I was towing at a later time I added a track bar to the rear to eliminate the rear sway from the tow vehicle that you get from time to time.
All or problems were gone.
Note: the chp will resolve most of your drifting plus eliminate most of the tilting when going around corners.

Good luck and safe travels
Old 07-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #16

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefvm View Post
I have a 2012 ACE 29.2 and when we got it it did the same thing.
I did the cheap fix which you can find on this site under CHP or cheap fix, plus because I was towing at a later time I added a track bar to the rear to eliminate the rear sway from the tow vehicle that you get from time to time.
All or problems were gone.
Note: the chp will resolve most of your drifting plus eliminate most of the tilting when going around corners.

Good luck and safe travels
You know, this cheap fix thing has been around for several years and seems to work. There is some talk on the groups about added torque to places that shouldn't and will cause early failure...but the point here is if this is a good improvement, why hasn't Ford picked up on this and set it up this way from the factory????? Are they concerned with more torque on the components or are they just slow to pick up on a fix that works?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #17

THOR #2580
It's really not up to ford. Ford builds the chassis designed for their vehicles and designs.
THOR buy them, cut and extends the frame to fit what ever box (RV) they choose to place on top of it.
So you see Thor is really or should be liable for these type of corrections based on their modification to the ford chassis. Thor would than have to loose profits or increase the price to compensate for the increased cost to perform these modifications, I believe these should be an option when purchasing any unit and the buyer should be made aware of these atleast by the RV dealers before you sign the paperwork.
I believe most people would opt to add these options however it may just as well cause the buyer to ether opt out completely or buy a cheaper unit to compensate for the price increase.
Well you can draw your own conclusions on that subject.

Goodluck to you and safe travels
Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefvm View Post
It's really not up to ford. Ford builds the chassis designed for their vehicles and designs.
THOR buy them, cut and extends the frame to fit what ever box (RV) they choose to place on top of it.
So you see Thor is really or should be liable for these type of corrections based on their modification to the ford chassis. Thor would than have to loose profits or increase the price to compensate for the increased cost to perform these modifications, I believe these should be an option when purchasing any unit and the buyer should be made aware of these atleast by the RV dealers before you sign the paperwork.
I believe most people would opt to add these options however it may just as well cause the buyer to ether opt out completely or buy a cheaper unit to compensate for the price increase.
Well you can draw your own conclusions on that subject.

Goodluck to you and safe travels
I agree. The dealers could make a decent profit by offering chassis upgrades and I believe customers would be happy to pay a little extra to make their drive better. And to add 4k worth of upgrades over the life of a 20 year loan would add next to nothing to their payment.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #19

THOR #2580
Penguin

I agree for the 17 to 20 dollars a month over 240 month the cost is next to nothing in the overall price or payment for the lack of better terms " having to white knuckle it " down the road.
Something for everyone to consider when buying an RV.

Safe travels my friend.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #13943
Everyone refers to CHF or cheap fix, but I can not find what that consists of. Please help