Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Unhappy Driveway outlet (GFCI) trips

2014 Hurricane 34E
WFCO Converter "WF9855"
Furion Transfer Switch "F50-ATS" 50 AMP

Hi all, well I have a new electrical issue on a MH that has not given me issues in a long time. I always plug in at the driveway to keep the batteries charged and give me some AC while inside. I recently had the batteries changed (new) at my local RV maintenance shop. When I returned home and plugged in, the GFCI outlet on the driveway tripped. So far I have checked all connections, changed the GFCI outlet, and by the process of elimination turned off all AC breakers and then turned on one at a time. The results are that anytime I turn on the breaker for either the converter, front or rear AC units the driveway outlet trips. If I connect to a non GFCI outlet everything works with all breakers turned on. Aside from the batteries, nothing else has changed. Let me add that the AC units don't cause a trip of the outlet until I turn one of them on. The driveway outlet trips as soon as I turn turn on the breaker for the converter. Any ideas?

Old 07-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
2014 Hurricane 34E
WFCO Converter "WF9855"

Hi all, well I have a new electrical issue on a MH that has not given me issues in a long time. I always plug in at the driveway to keep the batteries charged and give me some AC while inside. I recently had the batteries changed (new) at my local RV maintenance shop. When I returned home and plugged in, the CFI outlet on the driveway tripped. So far I have checked all connections, changed the CFI outlet, and by the process of elimination turned off all AC breakers and then turned on one at a time. The results are that anytime I turn on the breaker for either the converter, front or rear AC units the driveway outlet trips. If I connect to a non CFI outlet everything works with all breakers turned on. Aside from the batteries, nothing else has changed. Let me add that the AC units don't cause a trip of the outlet until I turn one of them on. The driveway outlet trips as soon as I turn turn on the breaker for the converter. Any ideas?
Generally a GFCI will trip when the current flow is different between the black and white wire (power and neutral). Usually the leakage is to ground from the white wire or it can be from the lack of a good ground. Sometimes is just a whisker wire of the neutral cable touching a ground terminal. Happy hunting.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
You must be using a 30 amp to 15 amp dog bone adapter

Start with it and the plug on your RV
Old 07-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

THOR #5840
I am using a 50 AMP to 15 AMP dog bone which is a new replacement. I have also used several extension cords from the driveway outlet to the dog bone. I have been using this setup for 6 years without any issues. Everything was working before I brought it in for new batteries. I can't imaging what changing the batteries could have done. That's DC current. Individually, any one of the breakers for AC or Converter trips the outlet as soon as they are turned on.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Before I built my pole building, I would plug in my Super C with a 50A to 15A dogbone to a GFCI outlet that convenient from where it was parked in the driveway. My stock WFCO Converter would trip the GFCI occassionally. Never had any issues when I was plugged into a regular 15A outlet.

I eventually replaced the WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics Converter because I wanted a better Converter / Charger. I can't remember if I ever tried it on the GFCI once I got the garage built. In any case, I did check all the wiring in the coach, including the outlet the Converter was plugged into and everything checked out.

The total length of the wire in a GFCI circuit can have an effect on the GFCI outlets performance. When you get over 100 - 150' capacitive leakages can occur due to the wire length of the circuit and may exceed the threshold of the GFCI. The actual length limitations vary depending on wire type and size. If you have a 50' extension cord and long wire runs through you house on that GFCI circuit, it could be contributiing to your issue.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
When you say "CFI" do you mean GFCI?

If it worked before and now trips a GFCI after changing the batteries it's hard to imagine how changing the batteries caused this problem. Especially when it is also the A/Cs that trip it as well, but SINCE THE A/Cs and the thermostat get their control power from the DC buss try this experiment:

Remove the ground side cable from your new batteries and see if the converter trips the GFCI. If not, then see if the A/Cs trip the GFCI.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #7

THOR #5840
Yes, sorry, I mean the GFCI at the driveway outlet. My extension cord run is 50' and rated for 20 AMPS. The same cord for several years. I did try turning off the battery disconnect with no help, but that's connected to positive only. I'll try disconnecting the negative terminal too.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #8

THOR #5840
Well, disconnecting the ground terminal AND the positive terminal from the batteries did not have any effect. As soon as I flipped the breaker for the converter it tripped the driveway outlet. Tried it again with the AC and as soon as I turned on the AC (converter not on) it tripped the driveway outlet. So, I guess this is going to take some time to sort out. I am wondering if the converter is causing this, but with the breaker off and it still happening with the AC, I'm not sure about that.

Thanks to all for now. Feel free to add more comments anytime.
Happy travels, stay safe, pay it forward any time you can.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
It trips on either A/C right? They should be on separate breakers and run from separate sides of the split 240 VAC lines.

In any case you probably need to unplug from SP and break out the Ohmmeter and start testing neutral to ground connections on the offending circuits. There should be no continuity from neutral to ground anywhere in the MH except on the output of the generator.

I would also quiz your battery installers. Did they have the most junior guy in the shop do this "simple" job and accidentally short + to ground? Did they do anything else in conjunction with the battery replacement where they may have driven a screw through a hidden wire?

When you figure this out please come back and let us know what you found to help out the next guy with a similar problem.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
What does "new replacement" mean in this sentence: I am using a 50 AMP to 15 AMP dog bone which is a new replacement.

If it means it is a new dog bone adapter, maybe that is the problem. 15A/110V to 50A/110/220V adapters for RV use are a bit strange. They take the 110 volt power from that side and apply it to both 110V legs of the 50A side but they are both in the same phase unlike standard 50/110/220V power.

Maybe something is wrong with the current adapter or wrong with its predecessor and it worked then but not now.

David
Old 07-20-2021, 11:22 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
May just be a fault with the GFCI, might be easier and cheaper to replace that before going too in depth.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I can’t run one AC on a 15 a circuit. My Coleman Mach 3 pulls 16.7 a at compressor start up.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
2014 Hurricane 34E
WFCO Converter "WF9855"

Hi all, well I have a new electrical issue on a MH that has not given me issues in a long time. I always plug in at the driveway to keep the batteries charged and give me some AC while inside. I recently had the batteries changed (new) at my local RV maintenance shop. When I returned home and plugged in, the GFCI outlet on the driveway tripped. So far I have checked all connections, changed the GFCI outlet, and by the process of elimination turned off all AC breakers and then turned on one at a time. The results are that anytime I turn on the breaker for either the converter, front or rear AC units the driveway outlet trips. If I connect to a non GFCI outlet everything works with all breakers turned on. Aside from the batteries, nothing else has changed. Let me add that the AC units don't cause a trip of the outlet until I turn one of them on. The driveway outlet trips as soon as I turn turn on the breaker for the converter. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
May just be a fault with the GFCI, might be easier and cheaper to replace that before going too in depth.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:00 AM   #14

THOR #22490
Oh Holier than thou Ted, sorry but I've been working all day and have another 4 hours to go and didn't remember what I read quickly 8 hours ago.

Your sarcastic posts to we lesser mortals are beginning to be repetitive and annoying, but thanks for pointing out my glaring mistake.

What penance do you suggest for my sin?

To the OP, my apologies for not remembering the fact that you had already done what I suggested. Good luck with your search for a solution.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 AM   #15

Model: 33.1
State: Alabama
THOR #21442
My driveway outlet had the same problem. I have a 50 amp coach. Adapting down to 15. Suddenly kept popping the gfi outlet in the driveway. Even with all baskets off. I'm still under warranty, the dealer was able to pinpoint it to a wire grounding out in the A/C unit. He said it probably happened from all the vibration.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:00 AM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My exact same problem as yours was a 110v dead short to ground.
Coach breaker held, coach gfci held, garage breaker tripped.
A hot wire pulled to ground when my slide was full open...no other time.
A couple of household electricians didn't figure it out.
I told cw the symptoms and they fixed my only warranty claim, in a day.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Oh Holier than thou Ted, sorry but I've been working all day and have another 4 hours to go and didn't remember what I read quickly 8 hours ago.

Your sarcastic posts to we lesser mortals are beginning to be repetitive and annoying, but thanks for pointing out my glaring mistake.

What penance do you suggest for my sin?

To the OP, my apologies for not remembering the fact that you had already done what I suggested. Good luck with your search for a solution.
WOW! Somebody's sensitive to a little jab. I hope I didn't make too big of a mess:

Old 07-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #18

THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
WOW! Somebody's sensitive to a little jab. I hope I didn't make too big of a mess:

Not sensitive at all and yes I’m wearing my big boy pants.

I just don’t see the need for your condescending replies to members’ posts where you feel the need to enlarge the font size, change the font colour and post a gif or meme.

It would have been a lot less effort if you just said that the OP had already done what I suggested, or better yet, say nothing and let the OP respond.

I’m not surprised that new members don’t come back to their posts if a 6,000 plus post member is constantly making posts like yours. Especially from a “site team” member.

We all try to help each other if able but belittling others efforts is not the way to do it.

Remember to err is human, to forgive divine.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #19

THOR #5840
Thanks to all. Will follow-up with your suggestions when. I revisit the issue.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #20

THOR #5840
Hi to all. So today I revisited my problem with the GFCI tripping. With SP on I checked every outlet with a circuit tester. All tested good. Then, to be redundant, I disconnected SP and used an Ohm meter to check for continuity on every outlet. Again, all checked out OK. I have one GFCI outlet in the stair well that I believe feeds all outlets ( not entirely sure about that and have not confirmed). As far as I can tell everything checks out OK. I haven't been able to speak to the service mechanic that changed my batteries as of yet. Its on my list. I also removed a recliner to get at an outlet on the floor that it plugs into. No issues there either. I can turn on every breaker except the converter without the outlet tripping. That includes the AC units (2). As soon as I turn on either the converter or one of the AC units the outlet trips. Otherwise all other breakers for the rest of the MH have no effect on the outlet. What is common to the AC's and the converter?

Tags
gfci, trip