Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #21
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwmjw2 View Post
Never, Never, ever raise your wheels off the ground. Put blocks under them or find another place to park it.
And you base that statement on what??
No need to answer... there are enough opinions on both sides of the argument. Do what you feel comfortable with for your own rig... but I have no issue raising front wheels if needed. The jacks are more than capable and parking someplace else isn’t always an option.

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:21 AM   #22

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
No need to answer... there are enough opinions on both sides of the argument. Do what you feel comfortable with for your own rig... but I have no issue raising front wheels if needed. The jacks are more than capable and parking someplace else isn’t always an option.
I agree. I don't do it often but I have even raised the rear off the ground after chocking the front wheels, briefly while in my driveway. I did it to open the slide while accessing a cupboard that required the slide to be out.

As you said, the jacks have no issue with the weight. It is more of an issue of stability.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:59 AM   #23

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
Quote:
I'll go with the prohibitive warning repeatedly stated in the Lippert owner's manual. But thanks for asking.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #24
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
I'll go with the prohibitive warning repeatedly stated in the Lippert owner's manual. But thanks for asking.
Interesting... as the manual I have warns not to use jacks for service (changing tires,etc) and never to lift ALL WHEELS off the ground... the latter repeated throughout the manual.

I’d agree I would never lift all wheels... but a single axle, especially the front should be no issue.
And if I am getting under the rig on jacks, additional supports are in place.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #25

State: North Carolina
THOR #14072
Level it you may need to put down some blocks on the downhill sides if the leveling jacks cannot extend far enough, but get it level or you will have problems
Old 08-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
My driveway is very steep as well (but only one angle). If you do decide to TRY and level make sure you BACK IN the RV and keep the REAR wheels on the ground so your RV dont roll and damage the jacks. Also use two or four wheel chocks.

But I still have to stack 6 blocks under my front jacks to get "close" to level. I dont even try anymore and I never put my slide out unless the RV is level just to be safe.

We have the same issue where we park our Windsport 27K. Our drive way slopes about 1 3/4" side to side and about 6" front to back. To keep our coach pretty level while parked I built ramps for the front out of 8' 6"x6" timbers that I bolted together. I tapered the timbers with a chain saw before bolting them together. On "low side ramp I added a piece of 2x12 on the high section to account for the side to side slope. both ramps I put a 12" pc of 4x4 across the front as a wheel stop. For the rear wheels I fastened two 3' 2x12's together with metal straps, that goes on the low side of the driveway. The other rear wheels stay on the concrete. Once i got everything where I wanted them I marked the concrete so I know exactly where they go if/when they get moved. Sorry I don't have pictures. I hope you can visualize our set-up. With the ramps I've made the fridge works fine without the jacks. If I want to put out the slide I have two short 6x6 pieces I put under the front jacks.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #27

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Never, Never, ever raise your wheels off the ground. Put blocks under them or find another place to park it.
You mean....Never raise the "REAR tires" off the ground? RV can roll.

Lots of member raise the front tires off the ground on a regular basis and they dont have a problem. I been doing it for 6 mo now....I would say NEVER raise the front more than a few inches to be safe. But I agree 6+ inches is kinda crazy but if its temp (night) and your super aware of it - I dont see a problem.

Sometimes you DONT Have a choice on the spots so you take what you can get and im not driving back home. Some of the camp site I have stayed at are super unlevel stone driveways and it took me 30+ min to level 3 wheels with 4 sets of lego block (now that was scary and dangerous - one block shot out the back one time). I was so hot and sweaty I decided to pull the trigger on hydraulic levelers.

Luckly I been looking for more paved ones this year and the tires never leave the ground.

If I were to stay more than a day or two days real UNlevel spot I might try to ramp up first then jack down to eliminate shaking. Or jack it up then slide as many block that I can under the tires (with zero load on them) that way it can only go down so much if jacks fail.

I would not work under or let kids play near a lifted RV (with jack stands). You have to use common sense and be safe at all times.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #28

Model: Ace 29.4
State: New York
THOR #6366
Quote:
Interesting... as the manual I have warns not to use jacks for service (changing tires,etc) and never to lift ALL WHEELS off the ground... the latter repeated throughout the manual.

I’d agree I would never lift all wheels... but a single axle, especially the front should be no issue.
And if I am getting under the rig on jacks, additional supports are in place.
I'm with you GMC. As long as the back wheels are on the ground, you're safe. The back wheels house the parking brakes, and that's the key in this discussion. I've been at several campgrounds that required that I have the front wheels off the ground.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
You mean....Never raise the "REAR tires" off the ground? RV can roll.
Actually it can't. Jacks contact the ground with flat pads, and they do not roll. They can slide however, as can the tires.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #30

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
Actually it can't. Jacks contact the ground with flat pads, and they do not roll. They can slide however, as can the tires.
Well I would not trust the RV without enough weight on the rear tires (and choked on both side). It would get wobbly and collapse the jacks or slide down hill some before rolling over.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Well I would not trust the RV without enough weight on the rear tires (and choked on both side). It would get wobbly and collapse the jacks or slide down hill some before rolling over.
Whatever makes you feel good.

Once the jacks lift the RV chassis a tiny bit, the only weight on the tires is the weight of the tires.axles, and 1/2 the springs. And while those parts are heavy, percentage wise they are nothing.. The tires and wheels lend next to zero stability or security to the RV when the jacks are supporting the RV's weight.

The only real problem with lifting the wheels, and this can occur without lifting them as well, is if the suspension 'droop' puts any undue pressure on things like brake lines. In my case I have checked, and it doesn't.

Tags
slide advice