Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7842
driving downhill

I have a newbe question. I'm new to driving my 2017 Thor Axis. Is it just getting used to? When driving up a grade I'm pretty confident but, driving down a grade about 60 or so it seems that I'm a little panic. Is that just that I need to get used to driving it. I've driven a bobtail and not have that issue. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I don't have a '17 ... but ... Gear down ... If you set cruise at about -5 the speed you want, it'll do the down shifting for you and keep you nicely at about +5mph the set point. Otherwise you can do it yourself with the tow-haul button and it'll downshift when you touch the brake. Don't be afraid to move that gear shift lever to downshift manually Downhill = down the speed to keep yourself and those around you safe.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Have you tried the Tow/Haul button when going downhill? I really like it for situations that you are describing. Just hit the button and when you want to kick down to a lower gear when going downhill, just tap the brake. Experiment with this and you'll get the hang of it.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
I read about people using the tow/haul switch. Do you have to turn it back off when you level off or will it allow the trans to upshift when appropriate?
Old 07-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
I generally downshift manually. The tow haul downshifts too much for me going down a steep grade. Seems it wants to do 10mph when I want to do 50. Maybe its me, but just haven't gotten used to it and find it simpler to just downshift manually. I don't always want to downshift again just because I touch the brakes a tad.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora1967 View Post
I have a newbe question. I'm new to driving my 2017 Thor Axis. Is it just getting used to? When driving up a grade I'm pretty confident but, driving down a grade about 60 or so it seems that I'm a little panic. Is that just that I need to get used to driving it. I've driven a bobtail and not have that issue. Thanks for the advice.
To answer your question, YES! You can see different people have different ways of doing this. I use the cruise control method and while I may be going slower in some places than I really want to be I have to touch nothing and there is no hill so long that it's going to change my destination time by more than a minute or two. Find what works for you.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
I read about people using the tow/haul switch. Do you have to turn it back off when you level off or will it allow the trans to upshift when appropriate?
It still allows the transmission to upshift when appropriate - it does change the shift points to stay in gear longer - and downshifts sooner... also will downshift at tap of brake (something that seems to be the default on some newer rigs - requires use of tow/haul on older.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I generally downshift manually. The tow haul downshifts too much for me going down a steep grade. Seems it wants to do 10mph when I want to do 50. Maybe its me, but just haven't gotten used to it and find it simpler to just downshift manually. I don't always want to downshift again just because I touch the brakes a tad.
This is the problem we have seen, down shifts to quick and to far. Taking it out of tow/haul for down grades helps a little even here in the rockies where we are currently at. A very light touch of the brakes will also help.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote