Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Dual Wheel Air Valve Extensions

The factory supplied valve extensions on the Axis dual rear wheels have been a constant pain in the tookus from day 1. The have come loose several times and loctite has no effect. The screw/bolt (?) in the plate holding the valve against the wheel comes off the wheel even though the screw is tight, with little pressure used against it to attach the air hose. It has resulted in ongoing evil proclamations against the designers and all employees at Thor to include their descendants and future offspring. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean with the attachment point, not the proclamations.
I'm considering braided stainless extensions like these: https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Masters...Wheels%2C+2-pk
Do any here have experience with these?

2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
In one of my past lives I drove and repaired trucks. In my opinion get rid of the extenders and get the right gauge and air chuck like the picture here.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
In one of my past lives I drove and repaired trucks. In my opinion get rid of the extenders and get the right gauge and air chuck like the picture here.
Didn't get a picture. If no extension works, I'm willing to give it a shot with the right guage and chuck. Maybe a link to see the right one?
Thanks.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Or maybe get long steel valves installed. Requires removing and reinstalling the tires at a tire shop so the project isn't especially cheap but I've been using these for a good while with zero problems. Personally I think they are essential when using external TPMS sensors.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Virginia
THOR #2110
Wonderdog. I have the same problem with my 2014 Four Winds 28Z, to include all likely proclamations and physical attachments. Requested local Ford dealer to repair and was told that they used the same system as installed by Thor. Talked to Thor rep during factory tour about this but responses were not satisfactory. The upside is that the Michelin tires, and wheels, hold air very well. When I check them I set aside some half hour per wheel to get it right--and I do but it's a first rate bother.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Those extensions are just another place where the air can leak and cause problems. They do make checking and filling the tires much easier, but they can cause you to become stranded.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
Duallyvalve DL1F Brass Duallyvalve Kit

DL1F Brass Duallyvalve Kit

I have not personally used them but they are on the bucket list.
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I have the sensors on my steer axle tires and my outside duals, but not the inside duals. I considered getting some type of extenders but had a couple RV shops tell me they tend to leak. I didn't want to go to the expense of have the rears taken off and long stems installed until the tires are replaced. I just monitor my psi and temp on my TPMS while under way and when stopped for breaks I use my trusty framing hammer to bang on the inside duals to make sure the aren't flat. Every few weeks I check the inside duals with my gauge.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

THOR #6826
Have a friend who says he checks his tires "once or twice a year" and has never had a problem. He's confident that he will be able to tell if any tires go soft by how it drives. Personally, I think that's nuts in a 9 ton, top heavy motor home. I consider my steel dually valves and TPMS indispensable kit. First thing I did to my new coach.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
You can use an infrared hand-held thermometer to take temperature comparison readings of your tires to spot a hot (low pressure) tire. Also the thermometer can be used to check for hot trailer hubs.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Have a friend who says he checks his tires "once or twice a year" and has never had a problem. He's confident that he will be able to tell if any tires go soft by how it drives. Personally, I think that's nuts in a 9 ton, top heavy motor home. I consider my steel dually valves and TPMS indispensable kit. First thing I did to my new coach.
I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale to anyone that believes he can tell that. I'll stick with TPMS, my cheeks are sensitive, but not quite that sensitive.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Mine came form Thor with extension similar to those in that amazon link. Nothing but headaches...they went in the trash.

Followed by a few years of headaches using rigid extensions bought form ebay (along with stabilizers form duallyvalve)...although far fewer headaches overall

I always thought the duallyvalve valves would be the ticket but it means having a tire shop do the work. I never did get around to it.

Recently I ended up pulling off the wheel simulators so I can get my hands through the hand-holes. Put the simulators in storage for re-sale and all extensions in the trash.
The best move I ever made!
I had to paint my wheels because they were all scratched up from all the removing and replacing of the simulators putzing with those blasted valve extensions....but oh so worth it. Wish I would have done it years ago!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Picture of gauge, chuck similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	6909  
Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I found that I can't get on it with an angled head like that.... I use a straight head inflator and gauge
but my problem was I couldn't get my hand in to take the dust cap off until I removed the wheel simulators
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Even without the simulators I find it very difficult to get TPMS sensors on and off the inner wheels and I'm not even sure it would fit between the wheels and fall to the ground if I dropped it in there. Then I'd have to take a wheel off to retrieve it! I highly recommend dually valves. Mine cost $110 plus $100 at a local tire shop for installation. Zero hassle from then on. I don't know why these things are not standard. There would be virtually no cost to using them as OE.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #16

THOR #1249
Not to fan the extension controversy, but I bought some steel mesh extensions at NAPA and have had zero problems with them for the last couple of years. I also have TPMS on them. I would not go without them as it takes the hassle out of servicing the tires before and during a trip.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Delaware
THOR #8608
Love the stainless steel type also get you a tpms with temperature. Get the pass thru or air thru type

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 09-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #18

THOR #8608
I have had no problems with the high quality type

Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #19

THOR #8608
8k miles later still where I put them

Old 06-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #20

Model: Citation
State: California
THOR #10380
I recently drove from California to Florida and when I got back my TPMS alarm went off.
I checked and the stock valve extensions from Thor were almost sheared off causing them to leak. I’ve read all the threads and I’m going to try the steel braided extensions rather than spending 250 bucks and revalving. Can anybody tell me what the best mesh extenders are?