Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I figured I add my two cents worth. I've never been a gadget guy so I don't have and probably never will have TPMS as an add on to my motor home. I also have had braided extensions on my duals since 1988. I check the pressures on all tires as part of my pre-trip and at every rest stop with a thumper. Sure, I've had flats, had a tread separation one time, but no problems with the extensions and TPMS wont stop flats.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
What ever you decide to do, make sure the valve stem for the inner tire is supported. if not the TPMS will start to wear the stem against the rim and wear through causing the inner tires to go flat. We had this problem on our way west when the rubber support on the rim supporting the inner valve stem came loose allowing valve stem to rub against the rim wearing a leak in the stem. Stem was replaced and rubber grommet re-seated and no more problems. Something I need to watch before and during each each trip.
Thank you very much. When I replace the stems I will make sure they are mounted properly.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #23

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
On our 2016 Axis on the E450 chassis, it did not have the long extenders on the inside tires. It had short metal stems that were bent back to allow access. I never did put a tire pressure management system on it so I cannot remember if they would have fit. Glad you made some progress but I would not trust those braided extenders and would suggest looking for a more "solid" solution. I went with the "dually valves" on our 22.5 inch wheels because I ditched the original extenders that gave me nothing but the same kind of trouble you had.
I will be replacing those braided stems with solid steel type. And if I still will have some issues with TMPS I will for sure get rid of the original, short stem. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #24

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
I will be replacing those braided stems with solid steel type. And if I still will have some issues with TMPS I will for sure get rid of the original, short stem. Thank you.
Just ordered these from Amazon. They supposed to be TPMS compatible. Let you all know
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1H5182..._7PPLEbXCKQPXG
Old 04-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #25

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
Rysiek Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a set of dually valves. I have used them on several Motor Homes and they save time and you don't have to remove the hubcap to check pressur or to and air or install your TPMS sendors. The work great.
Mel
Here is a Picture of the dually vales in a article I wrote with pictures about dually valves.
https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/201...or-motor-home/
or click here
Old 04-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #10500
I had similar problems on my Thor Four Winds Sprinter rear dually tires. The problem was faulty or loose extenders that were not seated correctly. After several tries by different tire shops, we got that corrected. Then a hubcap started to slip, pulling the extenders until the air escaped. After losing one tire, and finding no air in the inside tires a couple of times, the Mercedes dealer added clamps to hold the extenders and the hubcap. So far so good!
Old 04-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #27

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Florida
THOR #13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Sure sounds that way. Time for a careful trip to the tire shop.
I carry an axe handle with me and Thump my tires ,listen for any sound difference, ole trucker trick
Old 04-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Rysiek Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a set of dually valves. I have used them on several Motor Homes and they save time and you don't have to remove the hubcap to check pressur or to and air or install your TPMS sendors. The work great.

Mel

Here is a Picture of the dually vales in a article I wrote with pictures about dually valves.

https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/201...or-motor-home/

or click here

X2 on using true dually valves. First thing I do on a new rig and never regretted it. The valves themselves are about $110 and installation has cost me as much as another $100. Worth it. You could save he extra installation expense by installing them at a tire change.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:36 AM   #29

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
After reading so many negative comments about valve extensions I went the other direction and bought the proper tire chuck for duallies. My tires already had the caps that allow filling so I wouldn't have to figure out how to unscrew a cap on the inner wheel through a tiny hole in the outer wheel.

Most everyone has one of these style tire chucks that came with their compressor where both valves are at an angle but I couldn't get to the inner wheel valve with that type. The trouble is the one at the end being at an angle doesn't line up with the inner valve on a dually.
Instead I needed one of these types where the valve at the end was in line with the tube and that pushes straight onto the valve on the inner wheel. The one facing backwards is at the right angle to pull on the valve on the outer wheel. I combined that with one of those fill gauges so I can measure pressure or fill from my compressor.

Total cost for the chuck and the fill gauge was about $30. It wouldn't help me at a gas station where I can't swap out their chuck for my own but I check and air up before my trips.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:42 AM   #30

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
After reading so many negative comments about valve extensions I went the other direction and bought the proper tire chuck for duallies. My tires already had the caps that allow filling so I wouldn't have to figure out how to unscrew a cap on the inner wheel through a tiny hole in the outer wheel.

Most everyone has one of these style tire chucks that came with their compressor where both valves are at an angle but I couldn't get to the inner wheel valve with that type. The trouble is the one at the end being at an angle doesn't line up with the inner valve on a dually.

Instead I needed one of these types where the valve at the end was in line with the tube and that pushes straight onto the valve on the inner wheel. The one facing backwards is at the right angle to pull on the valve on the outer wheel. I combined that with one of those fill gauges so I can measure pressure or fill from my compressor.

Total cost for the chuck and the fill gauge was about $30. It wouldn't help me at a gas station where I can't swap out their chuck for my own but I check and air up before my trips.

Good inexpensive solution. Unless you also want to use a TPMS. It’s hard to get the inner unit on or off!
Old 04-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #31

THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Good inexpensive solution. Unless you also want to use a TPMS. It’s hard to get the inner unit on or off!
Thank you all for your comments and solution ideas. Since I do have a TPMS, I think the dually valves will work for me the best.