Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36FD
State: South Dakota
THOR #3324
Dually valve extension

Having difficulties performing a search on Forum .
I need help choosing valve extenders for the inner wheels.
2012 Challenger 36FD. 22 in wheels. Not sure if aluminum .
Thanks and sorry if question's been asked and answered .

Old 01-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacH View Post
Having difficulties performing a search on Forum .
I need help choosing valve extenders for the inner wheels.
2012 Challenger 36FD. 22 in wheels. Not sure if aluminum .
Thanks and sorry if question's been asked and answered .
I am also interested in the replies. I have not added them to my RV yet. I have heard the good and the bad about having them.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You basically have two choices, solid angled extenders that screw on to current valve stems and allow a better reach to the stem, I personally don't like these. The other choice is wire braided extensions, this is what I use and would recommend. If you search Amazon or Camping World for "tire valve extension" you will see all the choices available. If you search MSN you can see pictures of what the different extensions look like installed.

The braided wire extensions for rear duals really make life easier when it comes time to check and adjust pressures! There is one set of extensions that allows both rear tires to be filled at the same time, if you have a leak in one tire it lets air out of both, not good in my opinion but some have a check valve.

If you go to you-tube and search for tire valve extenders you can see videos of how they work and how to install.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
I have a set of braided, new in the box, but have not installed them. I rethought the idea of extenders and decided not to use them as they introduce another point for failure. For now, I use a truckers gauge and a long fill chuck. They are long and will reach inner valve stem. The best solution is to have long stems installed on the inside duals. At new tire time, that's the plan. Until then I just lay down and use the truckers gauge.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
After several years fighting leaking valve extenders, I decided to go for it all the way and had a set of cross fire systems installed. No more crawling around on the ground for me!
Crossfire - Dual Dynamics
Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I've had braided extenders on the rear duals of the last 2 RVs... They made life much simpler to me. Haven't had any issues with them.

I have looked at and like the Crossfire system (does have the safety to isolate tires in event of leak in one)... But just over $100 compared to the extensions already on the rig.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
After several years fighting leaking valve extenders, I decided to go for it all the way and had a set of cross fire systems installed. No more crawling around on the ground for me!
Crossfire - Dual Dynamics
These are very interesting. What was the cost
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #8

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
These are very interesting. What was the cost
I paid $140 for the sets for the two sets (both sides of the rear axle, and I have two ports on each set for the TPMS I use in addition. You save some money if you have a single port on each side only) plus freight (for me $14).
I have them on for the last 6000 or so miles, and all I do in the morning before I hit the road is taking a peak at the two monitors to make sure the pressure for all rear tires is OK. I still use the TPMS during the driving time (but mainly to be able to see what's going on with my front tires).
Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I did a lot of research and really liked the crossfire system. Better than the similar cat's eye me thinks.
Sadly, I couldn't find a way to mount them nicely with my rear wheel simulators (225/75 R16). Just too tight and nothing sturdy to mount to.....and I couldn't justify completely cutting to expose the center hub bolts.
I think this would be the way to go if you had larger wheels, or did not have the simulators

So anyway,
I ended up going with rigid extenders, found on ebay. Mine needed 5-1/2 inc long extentions
and the only way IMO to make them work, is to support with rubber flange type supports
Dually Valves - Stabilizers
in fact, this is a good source for extensions of all shapes and sizes....
and they also sell long valves that you could get your tire shop to install (no extension reqd).

Mine came with braided extensions from the factory. I fought leaks big time with them. and the support clips with them were junk too
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I did a lot of research and really liked the crossfire system. Better than the similar cat's eye me thinks.
Sadly, I couldn't find a way to mount them nicely with my rear wheel simulators (225/75 R16).
I drilled holes in my wheel simulators and fastened the stands with self tapping screws and a drop of Loctite.
They are installed now for more than 6000 miles that included some miserable roads.