Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #14755
Axis...whats up with the cig lighter?

Well I have mentioned a few time that I was very happy with our 2018 Thor 24.1 Axis and pleased with Thor overall. Well as time has passed I have changed my views.
Now that I have found out the hard way that Thor has little that they can do if you have warranty issues and you can not get the dealership do the needed work. It only took 14 months to finally do the blasted cosmetic work. That only came about after I contacted my State Attorney General. They to only had a little bit of push with the dealership. Sp actually there is very little that can be done for you.
Ok so I got passed all of that and did mention to Thor that yes, the dealership was wrong and didn't live up to their end of the contractual responsibilities. I told Thor the quality control from the line out from the factory was about as useless as a screen door on a sub.I place the blame on Thor for not having the proper supervision in the work area or any proper supervision checking out the product and workmanship on the assembly line for most part.
Just the other day I found two additional things that have happened but they will be fixed by a repairman down the road from me at my expense as the warranty period is over. Well I watched the fix and I was amazed to see the lack of proper build of the coach. I had a leak by the door seam in the late winter where I formed and when it melted it ran down the inside of the door seam. It caused a little mold and with that the leak was fixed but the damage done was to the entry stem. This step was made by scrap luan wood, some cardboard and some venere wood with a stair tread glued on top. To level it up when building Thor used some metal wire connectors and scrap wire. I was going to send a photo to Thor but I am of the impression they could less and forget about the dealer right off. So the repair has been done and it seems to be a proper repair.
Now today I go out to hook up our Serius Radio and low and behold there seems not to have any power to the cigarette lighter. I can not find an inline fuse under the dash. The house side has all it's fuses working properly and I have looked in the basement storage compartment under the drivers seat...anyone have any suggestions? The radio has power ( the model that came with the coach, the rest of the dash seems to have power except the lighter outlet. I looked behind the lighter port with a mirror and only see two wires. So I am stumped on this one. Any suggestions would fantastic. Oh, and yes I do like the Axis it's a shame that Thor fails to send out a good unit but again they are only there to sell a unit to a dealership and after it lands at the dealership and you sign on the line it's thank you and come back and see us cause we're family...has to be a thing of insect cause I think I got the shaft now!
<Fish<

Old 07-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Axis...whats up with the cig lighter?

Are you sure the wires are actually plugged firmly into the lighter?

I had 2 lighter ports in my Outlaw and only one worked from day one. Dealer said I needed to take it to Ford after having a laundry list of warranty work done.

I pulled the dash and found when Thor installed the radio they did not plug the connector into the second lighter port.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Sorry to hear about your problems.

FYI.... we dont call them "cigarette lighters anymore". They are "12 volt electrial accessory ports".

Very strange probem. I acually had the same (or simular) problem.... but when I touched those two wires on the back of the port they fell off.

They were super loose so I used my plyers to smash them slightly and that did the trick. They never came loose again.

Not sure if this is your problem but is sure is a coincidence.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

Model: axis 25.1
State: Indiana
THOR #5637
i have a 2015 thor axis 25.1 and mine do not work either-ed's manual says should be fused at 72 but my 72 is empty-any ideas
Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
My wires were not hooked up.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
It's been written elsewhere on this board that Thor installed a batch of faulty 12V outlets that will short out fuse 72 in the under hood fuse box. So you should replace both the outlet and the burnt out fuse. I replaced my outlet with a dual usb port after the original one burnt out the fuse while powering a Garmin on the road.

If you're lucky the connection is just loose. Just reach behind the dash and unscrew the ring holding the outlet in place to pull it out and check.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
I remember that thread. I was hesitant thinking it was left unattached to prevent a blown fuse. So far I’ve been lucky with my 2018 Axis
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
I remember that thread. I was hesitant thinking it was left unattached to prevent a blown fuse. So far I’ve been lucky with my 2018 Axis
I took the "second" "12 volt power outlet" feed that wasn't connected to anything on our 2016 25.2 VEGAS and connected it to a bank of USB ports (and one additional "12 volt power outlet") that I installed under the dash cover in front of the driver's seat.

I use the USB ports to power TIRE MONITOR, ECHO DOT (I love having ALEXA in the RV ) DASH CAM, and have the GPS plugged into the 12v port. This way, there are no cords running anywhere except under the dash...

And, since (if I remember correctly) the fuse for the "12v power outlet" is 20 AMP from the factory, I have enough juice to power them all...
Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #14755
thanks folks for your suggestions and replies. I'll have another look again in the am...if I can not find anything, i'll have to Thor a call and I am sure they will know what to do...sure!
Again thanks for your help.

Piper K9
Old 04-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I took the "second" "12 volt power outlet" feed that wasn't connected to anything on our 2016 25.2 VEGAS and connected it to a bank of USB ports (and one additional "12 volt power outlet") that I installed under the dash cover in front of the driver's seat.

I use the USB ports to power TIRE MONITOR, ECHO DOT (I love having ALEXA in the RV ) DASH CAM, and have the GPS plugged into the 12v port. This way, there are no cords running anywhere except under the dash...

And, since (if I remember correctly) the fuse for the "12v power outlet" is 20 AMP from the factory, I have enough juice to power them all...
Hi Mike - Just reviewing some older feeds and ran into this. I'm hoping to wire a second USB source. Where do I find a the second 12 volt power source that you mention?
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote