Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #24879
Angry dust everywhere!

We just drove home our new Thor Chateau 22E. We have a 10 mile drive on an unpaved road and when we got home, the cab floor was full of dust under the seats, the drawers under the sink were dusty, the lower seam on the shower was brown with dust. I could go on. Is this a common problem? I wasn't expecting the poor quality I am seeing with the finishing either. Some of the flooring is bubbling, some is lose where it goes up from the toilet. I am already sorry we made this purchase and haven't even used it yet!

Old 09-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: Welcome to the Forum!
About the dust: are you sure that all of the windows and roof vents were completely sealed?
(Sorry... I have to ask this. )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
When we purchased ours, they really washed up the outside but they neglected the inside pretty bad. I would grab a shop vac and go over it all good.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_64 View Post
We just drove home our new Thor Chateau 22E. We have a 10 mile drive on an unpaved road and when we got home, the cab floor was full of dust under the seats, the drawers under the sink were dusty, the lower seam on the shower was brown with dust. I could go on. Is this a common problem? I wasn't expecting the poor quality I am seeing with the finishing either. Some of the flooring is bubbling, some is lose where it goes up from the toilet. I am already sorry we made this purchase and haven't even used it yet!
First - the dust: An RV is not as sealed as a car with the slide openings, If you leave a roof vent open it creates a vacuum in the rig as you drive sucking in outside air from wherever it can (along with the dirt/dust). That's not to say you may not also have an actual seal problem - that would just make it worse.

Second - Didn't you look over the RV before you signed the papers from the dealer? Now you're in warranty-land instead of fix-it-before-I-buy-it land. Things move much slower in warranty-land.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #5

THOR #24879
Everything closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
First: Welcome to the Forum!
About the dust: are you sure that all of the windows and roof vents were completely sealed?
(Sorry... I have to ask this. )
No problem. I would ask that too. Yes, all windows were closed. The inside of the drawers were dusty so assume it was coming up from the empty space behind them. The worst dust came from where there is a small rise in back of the seats where the cab flooring ends and the faux wood floor starts. There is a small vertical strip of carpet there. You could see that the dirt was coming in from that. It is pure dust under the seats now. I went over the whole inside with a shop vac but am going to have to use a damp sponge to get the stupid dust out! Can't believe this is happening in a brand new RV!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #6

THOR #24879
Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
First - the dust: An RV is not as sealed as a car with the slide openings, If you leave a roof vent open it creates a vacuum in the rig as you drive sucking in outside air from wherever it can (along with the dirt/dust). That's not to say you may not also have an actual seal problem - that would just make it worse.

Second - Didn't you look over the RV before you signed the papers from the dealer? Now you're in warranty-land instead of fix-it-before-I-buy-it land. Things move much slower in warranty-land.

It would have been hard to tell that it was going to suck in dust before we bought it. We only got to drive around the RV sales place for a test drive. Naturally it was all cleaned up for the sale. Will make sure everything is closed before driving it again. I expected more from this RV. We sold a 20+ year old Jamboree (bought used) with the same problem and thought it new RV would be much improved. So far, not impressed. We already had to return it to the dealer to get the heater working. It was defective!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
You addressed how you couldn't see the dust, you didn't address how you didn't see the other defects before leaving the lot.

What DID you find before taking delivery and why did you take the vehicle?

Did you find this forum before purchase or after your purchase?

List ALL of the problems you have and I bet we can show you how to fix some if them easier/more timely than the dealer can.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:40 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Behind the cab seats in my C, there are factory 'holes' in the floor near the bulkhead that lead outside. I know this because of a recent ant invasion I tracked down. I've since covered them with duck tape until I can cut the more permanent rubber plugs I intend to use. You'll have to push the seats all the way up to easily see/access them. The bulkhead also falls short of completly covering others.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_64 View Post
It would have been hard to tell that it was going to suck in dust before we bought it. We only got to drive around the RV sales place for a test drive. Naturally it was all cleaned up for the sale. Will make sure everything is closed before driving it again. I expected more from this RV. We sold a 20+ year old Jamboree (bought used) with the same problem and thought it new RV would be much improved. So far, not impressed. We already had to return it to the dealer to get the heater working. It was defective!
The "second" part of my post was in reference to the floor defects, not the lack of knowledge about the vacuum effect.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #10

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
We have a 2020 Four Winds 31y.
It was in the driveway the other day before a trip, and I was using an electric blower to clean off leaves in our courtyard.
I decided to open up the doors of the camper and use the blower on the inside.
The blower is an 80w Kobalt, so it has some power for electric. Anyway, I was aggressive and really stuck it down every crevis and corner. The area where you describe the piece of vertical carpet started letting in vast amounts of air from the road when we got on the highway. Pulled over, climbed underneath, and apparently I blew/dislodged a piece of insulation that goes in that seam. Shoved it back in from underneath and problem solved. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #11

Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
Cracks & holes

I agree that RVs are NOT very well sealed. I found this out after travelling through a some dusty roads in New Mexico. Between that incident and reading about mice and the tiny holes they can crawl through, I decided to check my underbelly (on the RV) for any leaks. Inside the RV, I removed every wood panel that I could find which concealed the RV floor. At night, I placed a bright handheld light wand inside each compartment, cabinet, along the floorboards, corners, shower pan, around the toilet, etc. I went outside and under the RV to see if I could see any light. This thing was like a sieve! I left a piece of tape at the location and the next day, I ended up using a foam gap sealant on 18 cracks and holes that were not sealed by the manufacturer. Only cost me $7 and a couple hours of my time.
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #12

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Gravel rd = dust, lots of dust in your MH. Absolutely normal.
You can minimize but not eliminate it

We've driven our RVs up/down a 11mile gravel rd in s central CO for years.
Lots of time spent spraying foam insulation along all visable seams helped a little
We finally figured out that keeping our speed down help the most, try slowing down next time
Old 10-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #13

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
We have a 2020 Four Winds 31y.
It was in the driveway the other day before a trip, and I was using an electric blower to clean off leaves in our courtyard.
I decided to open up the doors of the camper and use the blower on the inside.
The blower is an 80w Kobalt, so it has some power for electric. Anyway, I was aggressive and really stuck it down every crevis and corner. The area where you describe the piece of vertical carpet started letting in vast amounts of air from the road when we got on the highway. Pulled over, climbed underneath, and apparently I blew/dislodged a piece of insulation that goes in that seam. Shoved it back in from underneath and problem solved. Hope this helps.
+1 for the blower, thought dw was going to blow a gasket 1st time
Open all vents, windows and doors start at the back and blow it out a door

BIG + on this new to us mh, we now have several extra screws, 1 Wham O Frisbee and a couple of dog biscuits
Old 10-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #14

THOR #2213
We have a Miramar and there is a vent wide open from the engine compartment. I got down on the floor in front of the passenger seat and could look right into the front. We get alot of dust because of that.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #15

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
OP- I found there is a seam between the chassis cab and the "house" floor. This was on my Sprinter based RV. Dealer sealed with spray foam before delivery. It will let dust and water against the bottom of the carpet. Photo is from below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carpet underfloor.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	34087  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:06 AM   #16

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
When I got my Thor Daybreak 22GO [same floorplan as your 22E] there was a significant air gap you could see daylight through where the rear wheelwell meets the side body pannels. The local dealer did a poor job of trying to caulk the gaps. I then took 3" flextape and bonded the underside floorboard to the sidewall [also prevents entry of vermin or moisture, as well as dust.
JC