Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
When I had a boat I hated jet skis, now that I have a jet ski I hate boats.
It's just the old "Recurve versus Compound", or "Open Sights versus Scope" argument again...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree... While "serving my Collegiate Sentence", in New Jersey 45 years ago: I spent most of my time breaking odd parts of my body while skateboarding.
(This was when the craze first hit the East Coast, and all of the indoor parks were springing up...)
As a result: I never walk if I can ride!
I was in Jr HighSchool when skateboards first became a big thing - everybody had to have the Hobie deck with the dark and light wood strips. (RIP Hobie Alter)

This was the first era and they all came with roller skate clay wheels - the type that wouldn’t roll over even the smallest pebble. So we had lots of incidences of the boards coming to an immediate stop but the rider continuing on thanks to Newton’s first law. We lived in a hilly area in the SF Bay Area, so lots of kids had to challenge some pretty steep roads - equipped with lots of pebbles. Skate board road rash was epidemic.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:32 AM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I was in Jr HighSchool when skateboards first became a big thing - everybody had to have the Hobie deck with the dark and light wood strips. (RIP Hobie Alter)

This was the first era and they all came with roller skate clay wheels - the type that wouldn’t roll over even the smallest pebble. So we had lots of incidences of the boards coming to an immediate stop but the rider continuing on thanks to Newton’s first law. We lived in a hilly area in the SF Bay Area, so lots of kids had to challenge some pretty steep roads - equipped with lots of pebbles. Skate board road rash was epidemic.

My generation invented skate boards. We took a pair of skates (steel wheels)...pulled them apart from front to back with the "key", and nailed them to a piece of plywood. Then proceeded to invent "busting our a**" with them.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:08 AM   #24

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
[My generation invented skate boards. We took a pair of skates (steel wheels)...pulled them apart from front to back with the "key", and nailed them to a piece of plywood. Then proceeded to invent "busting our a**" with them.]

Gritz, I remember doing the same thing only with a 1 x 6 for the board. Didn't last long on broken up asphalt streets.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We seriously, actually, really did have a hand in the "Wide=-Board" revolution.
When we started: the typical 'board was about six inches wide... and I was the biggest Klutz ever!
So a couple of us chipped in on some plywood, built some kick-tails out of two by fours, and cut the things to be ten inches wide.
The other skaters went NuTz; when they saw them!
Pretty soon we had 12" 'Boards, and 169 mm trucks underneath them...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #26
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
No surprise...

Come on everyone, this is an important addition to having the government control absolutely every aspect of your life. Actually a little amazing that you do not have to purchase an addendum to a permit yet.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #27

State: California
THOR #15490
They are motorized scooters just like mopeds legally to drive them you need a motorcycle license your lucky they dont enforce that. Of course they arent aloud on trails that dont alow motorized vehicles.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #28

State: Iowa
THOR #14366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
E-bike. The epitome of lazy. [emoji16]
How little you know...
Old 09-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #29

THOR #11075
Quote:
Ridiculous comment
Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I think the issue is the possible danger from people on electric power bicycles and trikes, because of excessive speed. Twenty miles per hour on a trail or path designed for walkers and bicyclists is too fast. The go-fast, spandex group that pedal at 20+ mph and feel like they have a right to bellow at those who are out for a leisurely pedal can be a problem. Having all segments of the population (kids, young adults, middle aged, and seniors blasting through the trails at 20 mph or higher can get out of hand.

If people acted responsibly, there would be little need for many of our laws and regulations.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Just remember the US government is your friend and they know all the right things. I am so looking forward to socialized medicine where I know all decisions will be intelligent and in my best interest!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #32

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #446
Quote:
You will probably feel much different when you are in your 60’s and 70’s and can only remember how much fun it was to ride your bike. Knee replacements, heart problems, etc all take their toll.
I have an Ebike for 3 years now and I smile and am thankful that I get another chance. I don’t always make it back pedaling all the way but I do what I can.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #33

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Just remember the US government is your friend and they know all the right things. I am so looking forward to socialized medicine where I know all decisions will be intelligent and in my best interest!
And what does that have to do with e-bikes?
Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #34

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn2317 View Post
I have an E Bike {Rad Rover} I LOVE it. I now ride with pedal assist 5 miles every morning. With out this bike there would be no riding. A class 2 e bike has pedal assist plus a throttle. It is limited to 20 mph. I also own a MH with A/C micro wave and a generator, does that make me a lazy camper.
FYI I'm bringing my bike to the rally if anyone would like to try it.
I have a RAD mini step-thru and feel like a kid again after knee surgery, arthritis, and heart problems. I pedal what I can tolerate and the assist levels smooth out the hills.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #35

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
And what does that have to do with e-bikes?

The comment is related to the title of the thread “E-Bike Laws....”; and making the point that the government knows best. It was just a humorous comment
Old 09-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #36

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
maybe urban legend, but wasn't it Dr. Kellog (the cereal guy) that had some notion about riding a bike a short distance daily was good, not only for the obvious cardio and muscular exercise, but because it engages a persons balancing skills?

when I was a kid, I used to ride motocross....cycles with a loud gas engine that could push maybe 50 MPH or maybe more. If you don't think that's a workout riding even that down a trail or track, then I suppose you've never done it.

Personally I don't see them as lazy at all, unless a person is kidding themselves thinking that they got the same benefit as someone on a traditional bike for riding that 25 miles they just did...

Seems more of a utility thing. Yes, for those with physical problems etc... but also for running errands that are a bit further away than you'd care to bike at the moment.

I'd like to have one for just that reason...but I have wondered if or when the mt bike trails were prohibiting them. I can imagine they could do a bit more trail damage than a pedal bike if ridden like a motorcycle fast on a trial.

if when appropriate because of traffic volume, trail protection, or whatever, if you keep it the same speed that you would be doing on a regular bike, then what's the harm.... but Like anything else....some people will be inconsiderate a ruin it for everyone.

another same as...same as drones.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25 AM   #37

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampTap View Post
They are motorized scooters just like mopeds legally to drive them you need a motorcycle license your lucky they dont enforce that. Of course they arent aloud on trails that dont alow motorized vehicles.
Nope..They aren't allowed on trails that don't allow regular bikes. They are allowed on trails that allow regular bikes. Would be good idea to check the new directive from park service. Bike and ebike are essentially the same. Up to 750 watts.

Just a clarification so someone doesn't read the comment and think they have to have a license and cannot ride trails with an ebike.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind that an ebike (even one @ 750 watts) doesn't really have the torque (at least mine doesn't) to "burn rubber" so to speak. The only way I've been able to do so is lift the rear wheel off the ground, give it some throttle, and drop it--not something I'm not prone to do that often given that the bike is 70 lbs!

Thus they really shouldn't "tear up the trails" any more than your average mountain bike.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:06 AM   #39

State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Seriously?!

Quote:
So I know we're a mixed bunch of people who enjoy RV life. But when I come to the Thor Forum, I don't want to see middle-school type anonymous insults and counters.

Many of us are no longer young. I have terminal lung disease and can no longer ride a regular bike. My wife has destroyed her knees - used them up and loved every moment of it!

So we have electric bikes. I sling my oxygen on my back and I pedal as much as I can... and I get to experience the exhilaration of my youth.

I find it ironic that I am accused of being the epitome of lazy... by someone who rides around in a $100,000 house on wheels!

How about "if you can't say something nice..."
Old 09-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #40

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Keep in mind that an ebike (even one @ 750 watts) doesn't really have the torque (at least mine doesn't) to "burn rubber" so to speak. The only way I've been able to do so is lift the rear wheel off the ground, give it some throttle, and drop it--not something I'm not prone to do that often given that the bike is 70 lbs!

Thus they really shouldn't "tear up the trails" any more than your average mountain bike.
I'm only just theorizing, because I've seen that at least some of them have a pretty high top end speed and so I'd imagine a person could hold a higher average speed down a trail that a standard pedal biker could. Higher speed means heavier braking into turns making stutter bumps, and more sliding in the curves....stuff like that