Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #4260
Seeking advice on best road stability options: just say no to white knuckle driving

We own a 2015 Thor Four Winds 24C with about 12,000 miles on it. Towing a small import via a Car tow dolly. We would like some sage advice on options for the best road stability; ie. cross wind and turning stability, smoother ride, etc. Planning a trip north through the Dakota's and Montana and we know the winds with be a blowing!!

Have already read a lot of information on:
replacing factory installed anti sway bars with Hellwig anti sway bars
Air lift springs
Sumosprings

Thanks all for any relevant advice and did you install the upgrade yourself!

Wes and Lisa

Old 05-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I have a Class C Thor 22fe. About a month ago, "had installed", front and rear Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Koni shocks, rear track bar, Safe T Plus steering do dad. Front end aligned. Drives near perfect now. Still sways some with passing big rigs but not near like it was before. Ride is not as soft as stock shocks but a lot firmer and better tracking on crappy roads. Had local R.V. shop do all the installations. Not cheap but I think as good as it gets as far as mods for better and safer driving. Let's face it, aerodynamically, these things are shaped like a brick going down the road and are going to be blown around a lot more than a car or pickup truck. IMO, attention and focus on driving along with safe and reasonable speed is very necessary. For me, the sweet spot for driving mine is between 62 and 65 mph. Anything over that, less control on crappy roads and winds hitting the sides.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
I agree with steve76, and might add this, move your point of focus with your eyes further down the road. If you are focused too close to the rig, it will waver as your eye focus shifts. Try to look at least 200 yards farther down the road. Maybe keep to car, two or three cars ahead of you as your focus point. You'll be surprised as to how well tracking improves. And on curves, I keep my focus on the farthest section of white line I can see as you travel around the turn. Right in the narrow triangle of road and white line. Check it and see how you do!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno929 View Post
I agree with steve76, and might add this, move your point of focus with your eyes further down the road. If you are focused too close to the rig, it will waver as your eye focus shifts. Try to look at least 200 yards farther down the road. Maybe keep to car, two or three cars ahead of you as your focus point. You'll be surprised as to how well tracking improves. And on curves, I keep my focus on the farthest section of white line I can see as you travel around the turn. Right in the narrow triangle of road and white line. Check it and see how you do!

Sounds like you might ride a motorcycle - that’s good riding advice too. It works. Safe and smooth.

I have had three coaches now and have had them aligned and then install a steering stabilizer. Works for me.