Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Our rates are .12 and higher based on back up power

Pretty typical rates in the Midwest

Old 12-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #122
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Our rates are .12 and higher based on back up power

Pretty typical rates in the Midwest
For our house we're paying .18 (when adding up all the charges and dividing by kWh); however we have a 2nd meter for the EV with Time Of Use charges and thus I charge the car overnight. For overnight I'm paying .13/kWh (looking at my last bill all the charging was overnight).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #123

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
For our house we're paying .18 (when adding up all the charges and dividing by kWh); however we have a 2nd meter for the EV with Time Of Use charges and thus I charge the car overnight. For overnight I'm paying .13/kWh (looking at my last bill all the charging was overnight).
Ouch, some folks just don't now how lucky they are with the low rates

We were at .5 30 years back

We got rates notice increases of 5% from one supplier and 7% from another. Our minimum on one system which we just have water pumps and so on goes to 35 dollars because of the solar and wind public connections. It was 15 and then 20 and the new rates was approved a couple months ago.

Bottom line electricity rates are going up faster than incomes
Old 12-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #124

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In the case of a plug-in hybrid motorhome, I’d ignore cost of electricity because even at high rates, it should be insignificant compared to total costs. On the other hand, fuel savings aren’t going to be great either. I think those who will want a PHEV motorhome will want it for its functional differences, and won’t need to justify the added cost.

Speaking of costs, as predicted in threads going back many years, OEM can and will make electrification technology of motorhomes much more affordable compared to individual upgrades.

A good example is the advertised price of the plug-in Jeep Wrangler being just under $10,000 more than a similar Sahara or Rubicon. I’m not certain if there are other differences beyond the powertrain, but getting 17 kWh of battery capacity along with means to charge it very quickly for under $10,000 seems like a bargain. Compared to lithium battery systems like Volta which add a lot more cost (granted Volta includes an inverter), have less battery capacity, and is limited to charge at 6~8 kW (more or less), it’s easy to see how much a company like Ford could advance electrification of motorhomes.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #125

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
In the case of a plug-in hybrid motorhome, I’d ignore cost of electricity because even at high rates, it should be insignificant compared to total costs. On the other hand, fuel savings aren’t going to be great either. I think those who will want a PHEV motorhome will want it for its functional differences, and won’t need to justify the added cost.

Speaking of costs, as predicted in threads going back many years, OEM can and will make electrification technology of motorhomes much more affordable compared to individual upgrades.

A good example is the advertised price of the plug-in Jeep Wrangler being just under $10,000 more than a similar Sahara or Rubicon. I’m not certain if there are other differences beyond the powertrain, but getting 17 kWh of battery capacity along with means to charge it very quickly for under $10,000 seems like a bargain. Compared to lithium battery systems like Volta which add a lot more cost (granted Volta includes an inverter), have less battery capacity, and is limited to charge at 6~8 kW (more or less), it’s easy to see how much a company like Ford could advance electrification of motorhomes.
Thanks for all the technical info.
Am I wrong to assume that the additional $10k cost for a small Plugin hybrid motorhome could be somewhat offset by the deletion of the rooftop air, and generator.
Also it should also improve the mpg by something? 1-3 mpg? though I agree the larger battery would be used better for camping then driving.
and in time the $10k additional cost should also come down.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #126

THOR #6903
One thing for sure is more RV parks will be installing meters for individual sites

Currently of the parks we stay at short term only about 10% have meters and they read them in and out so when you check out you pay for the extra KW's. In hot weather we always get dinged but in cold we burn diesel and avoid the extra charges

Given most of them mark the cost up at least 25% it could get interesting

One other thing for sure is I won't ever have one so just will be sitting on the sideline watching the outcome

Most advances in technology are good for the majority of people or they fizzle out so again we will see what sticks and what fades away

Given the amount of changes and new products on the way we will have plenty to observe
Old 12-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #127

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Thanks for all the technical info.
Am I wrong to assume that the additional $10k cost for a small Plugin hybrid motorhome could be somewhat offset by the deletion of the rooftop air, and generator.
Also it should also improve the mpg by something? 1-3 mpg? though I agree the larger battery would be used better for camping then driving.
and in time the $10k additional cost should also come down.

I can only guess what RV chassis manufacturers may design and build, or how the RV industry would utilize such a chassis. Or for that matter how much it would add to cost because RV chassis volumes are relatively low compared to pickups and vans.

My best engineering guess is that a company like Ford will (or could) adapt the same drivetrain components to a different chassis in order to keep costs down. I expect the F-150 Hybrid can be adapted to Transit and smaller E-Series easily. Beyond that I believe Ford is working on similar hybrid system for Super Duty pickups and light trucks, which could be adapted to E-Series and F-53 larger chassis.

Looking at drawing below, I would expect pretty much the same architecture except that an RV chassis would benefit/need a much larger battery. Upgrading battery capacity to around 20 kWh like that of Jeep Wrangler should only add about $5,000 more beyond the hybrid option; which would bring total cost to my previous “guess” of about $10,000.

I expect a hybrid option would eliminate the generator, and make solar pointless for the most part. I think the electric dash A/C could be used for nighttime cooling when off grid, and may be used (at a minimum) to reduce the size of conventional house A/C. A second rear battery-electric A/C would be even better and would eliminate the present rooftop A/C. Passenger vans have rear A/C, so Ford would have to offer an electric-compressor rear A/C if they design a plug-in hybrid passenger van.

A plug-in hybrid chassis could also eliminate the “need” for propane system completely as an option. With good insulation and dual pane windows a motorhome can be heated with electric or heat pump. Hot water can be supplied with electric water heater as long as buyer knows quantity will be more limited than with continuous.

Note Ford drawing below shows 35 kW (47 HP) electric motor which also serves as generator, so it would be possible to power a 6-Gallon water heater with plenty of capacity to spare.

And for what it’s worth, the F-150 hybrid is relatively mild. ZF is already advertising a similar hybrid transmission but with 8 speeds rated 90 kW electric. There are essentially no practical limits to how much electrical power a motorhome can have access to if engineers are given the green light; which first requires it make economic sense. And we are probably there now for hybrid motorhome in smaller sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BB936B6-B32F-47BB-9421-905613DAC454.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	27831   Click image for larger version

Name:	942EC652-77BD-4BFF-A8C2-CDBB8D740685.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	27832  

Old 03-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #128
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
It has been reported that Lordstown Motors may be on shaky ground...
They may have been "cooking the numbers" on advance orders.
But since this report is from a company poised to make a bundle on shorting their stock: let's look for independent confirmation.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #129
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It has been reported that Lordstown Motors may be on shaky ground...
They may have been "cooking the numbers" on advance orders.
But since this report is from a company poised to make a bundle on shorting their stock: let's look for independent confirmation.
Yup that report is from a notorious short seller.

They were the ones, however, that discovered Nikola's Truck video was just an empty chassis rolling downhill LOL.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #130
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I do hope hope that it's incorrect...
But Lordstown did lose a test mule to a fire...
Old 03-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #131
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I do hope hope that it's incorrect...
But Lordstown did lose a test mule to a fire...
That is why you have test mules..
Old 03-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #132
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree completely: find problems; before someone else does!