Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2022, 01:04 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
From what I am reading progressive is a quality unit.

One of the advantages of having a portable which I didn't about, was that if the shore power in your spot doesn't measure up, you can take the device and check other locations; not so convenient if all you have is a hard-wired unit.
Or use these items to have a portable tester for under $20:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter Stretched.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	39003  

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:14 AM   #22

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #3923
Here is some information I found.

Progressive EMS devices:
Progressive Industries offers the EMS-PT50X and the EMS-PT30X inline surge protectors. They’re identical in design but differ in their capabilities. The EMS-PT50X can protect up to 3,580 Joules, while the EMS-PT30X only protects up to 1,790 Joules.

Hughes Power Watchdog:
The Hughes Autoformers Power Watchdog surge protector easily outperforms Progressive Industries when it comes to Joules. The 30-amp PWD30 EPO Power Watchdog unit protects against 2,400 Joules, while the 50-amp PWD50 EPO version protects against 4,800 Joules. There’s no contest when comparing the two units side by side. This unit will power down to protect your RV if a dangerous event occurs

Plus, the Watchdog has a compatible app that connects your phone and surge protector via Bluetooth technology. This allows you to quickly and easily receive alerts or check voltage information from your phone.

The other nice feature about the Watchdog is that you can monitor the conditions as you turn on/off equipment right from your phone.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #23

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
From what I am reading progressive is a quality unit.

One of the advantages of having a portable which I didn't about, was that if the shore power in your spot doesn't measure up, you can take the device and check other locations; not so convenient if all you have is a hard-wired unit.
Why I hate acronyms. EMS (Energy Management System) or EMS (Electrical Management System). You are obviously talking about the latter. Sorry I did not pick up on that so disregard my post.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #24

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Why I hate acronyms. EMS (Energy Management System) or EMS (Electrical Management System). You are obviously talking about the latter. Sorry I did not pick up on that so disregard my post.
Around POST #6, an "SP Cord" was mentioned. Since the thread was about EMS and Surge Protectors, I had no idea what a "Surge Protector cord" was; that was until someone clarified they were referring to "Shore Power". So, you are not alone.

i was reading that Hughes dropped the EMS acronym for their Watchdog and adopted "EPO", to avoid the confusing...which stands for...Emergency Power Off.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #25

THOR #3923
I sent Progressive an email asking them about using a 50-amp unit instead of a 30-amp; my thinking was that a 50-amp would be more robust and less likely to fail when the coach experiences in-rush currents that exceed the 30-amps, such as turning on an air conditioner...even if they the current spikes are microseconds. This is their response...

Typically I would suggest getting the EMS that matches your RV.. The EMS PT30X has 10 AWG wire inside just like your extension cord and RV should have. The EMS-PT30X can have an adapter put on the male plug to use a 50A source, just like you can use with the 30A cord for the RV without the EMS.

You could use a 50A EMS if you wanted to, but you are always going to have to adapt the output of the EMS to accept your 30A RV cord, and if you want to use a 30A outlet you are going to have to use an adapter on the male side of the PT50X in addition to adapting the RV cord to fit into the EMS-PT50X.

I can understand your concern about the in-rush current, but if the RV is 30A the other wiring is going to experience the 37A going through what is really rated for 30A continuous duty. The EMS does not stop passing power based on the amount of current the RV is drawing, it will report the current draw, but it is going to rely on the pedestal’s breaker to trip for over current events. The Surge Protection aspect of the EMS is looking for Voltage spikes of 300V or more and either model will clamp in these spikes and pass them back to the pedestal.

Our portable EMS units use the same components as our Hardwired units, things are just laid out differently and there are Weather Resistant gaskets on the portable units.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I sent Progressive an email asking them about using a 50-amp unit instead of a 30-amp; my thinking was that a 50-amp would be more robust and less likely to fail when the coach experiences in-rush currents that exceed the 30-amps, such as turning on an air conditioner...even if they the current spikes are microseconds. This is their response...

Typically I would suggest getting the EMS that matches your RV.. The EMS PT30X has 10 AWG wire inside just like your extension cord and RV should have. The EMS-PT30X can have an adapter put on the male plug to use a 50A source, just like you can use with the 30A cord for the RV without the EMS.

You could use a 50A EMS if you wanted to, but you are always going to have to adapt the output of the EMS to accept your 30A RV cord, and if you want to use a 30A outlet you are going to have to use an adapter on the male side of the PT50X in addition to adapting the RV cord to fit into the EMS-PT50X.

I can understand your concern about the in-rush current, but if the RV is 30A the other wiring is going to experience the 37A going through what is really rated for 30A continuous duty. The EMS does not stop passing power based on the amount of current the RV is drawing, it will report the current draw, but it is going to rely on the pedestal’s breaker to trip for over current events. The Surge Protection aspect of the EMS is looking for Voltage spikes of 300V or more and either model will clamp in these spikes and pass them back to the pedestal.

Our portable EMS units use the same components as our Hardwired units, things are just laid out differently and there are Weather Resistant gaskets on the portable units.
So basically the same thing everyone else was telling you............
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #27

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So basically the same thing everyone else was telling you............
Not sure why you felt the need to make such a comment that is more personal and has nothing to do with EMS or Surge Protection devices.

Here is my take:
Not everyone on this Forum is a know-it-all and sometimes information isn't accurate or is misunderstood, such as the acronyms "EMS" or "SP Cord" used in just this thread.

Just for the record, I had sent that email to Progressive a while back and they just now got back to me. All I was doing was sharing what the REAL EXPERTS had stated so that anyone questioning what has been stated here could be verified.

Regardless, there is information in their response that wasn't fully covered in this tread such as me raising the question how in-rush currents might impact and EMS, the 10-gauge of wire they use in their 30-amp unit, or how the EMS relies on the circuit breaker and not the EMS to cut the power when overloads are present.

It's better to have more information then to stifle people looking for answers.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Here is some information I found.

Progressive EMS devices:
Progressive Industries offers the EMS-PT50X and the EMS-PT30X inline surge protectors. They’re identical in design but differ in their capabilities. The EMS-PT50X can protect up to 3,580 Joules, while the EMS-PT30X only protects up to 1,790 Joules.

Hughes Power Watchdog:
The Hughes Autoformers Power Watchdog surge protector easily outperforms Progressive Industries when it comes to Joules. The 30-amp PWD30 EPO Power Watchdog unit protects against 2,400 Joules, while the 50-amp PWD50 EPO version protects against 4,800 Joules. There’s no contest when comparing the two units side by side. This unit will power down to protect your RV if a dangerous event occurs

Plus, the Watchdog has a compatible app that connects your phone and surge protector via Bluetooth technology. This allows you to quickly and easily receive alerts or check voltage information from your phone.

The other nice feature about the Watchdog is that you can monitor the conditions as you turn on/off equipment right from your phone.
Hopefully you will be happy with whichever make you decide to buy.

I researched quite a bit before buying the Hughes and have been very happy with it and like the bluetooth function.

I haven’t looked at any updates from any of the manufacturers since buying mine so any of them may have more bells and whistles since I last looked.

Best answer is “ you do you for whatever makes you happy”.

Good luck with whichever unit you decide to buy.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:56 PM   #29

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Hopefully you will be happy with whichever make you decide to buy.

I researched quite a bit before buying the Hughes and have been very happy with it and like the bluetooth function.

I haven’t looked at any updates from any of the manufacturers since buying mine so any of them may have more bells and whistles since I last looked.

Best answer is “you do you for whatever makes you happy”.

Good luck with whichever unit you decide to buy.
You just reinforced what I'm saying in that it's important to do your own research before making a decision. Knowing you made a smart decision is what makes a person happy.

Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts on buying a watchdog...which I just purchased on Amazon for only 164 dollars.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #30

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
Not sure why you felt the need to make such a comment that is more personal and has nothing to do with EMS or Surge Protection devices.

Here is my take:
Not everyone on this Forum is a know-it-all and sometimes information isn't accurate or is misunderstood, such as the acronyms "EMS" or "SP Cord" used in just this thread.

Just for the record, I had sent that email to Progressive a while back and they just now got back to me. All I was doing was sharing what the REAL EXPERTS had stated so that anyone questioning what has been stated here could be verified.

Regardless, there is information in their response that wasn't fully covered in this tread such as me raising the question how in-rush currents might impact and EMS, the 10-gauge of wire they use in their 30-amp unit, or how the EMS relies on the circuit breaker and not the EMS to cut the power when overloads are present.

It's better to have more information then to stifle people looking for answers.
With no intent to defend 16ace27 he just can’t help himself. He does have a wealth of knowledge and information but his cynical remarks get in the way of his recognition. You just have to ignore some of the comments.
We have a Camco, power grip 30 amp power defender that has worked flawlessly for three years, the kit comes with an assortment of adapters.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:35 PM   #31

THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galobo View Post
With no intent to defend 16ace27 he just can’t help himself. He does have a wealth of knowledge and information but his cynical remarks get in the way of his recognition. You just have to ignore some of the comments.
We have a Camco, power grip 30 amp power defender that has worked flawlessly for three years, the kit comes with an assortment of adapters.
Thanks!! I appreciate people helping me out...including ACE. I haven't had a lot of exposure on this forum, but I have been on a classic car forum for YEARS and after sometime, you get to know the personalities, including mine, where I speak my mind.

I ended up buying the Watchdog.

On a side note...I'm pretty jazzed today...I finally got my Jeep connected up for flat towing and I took it around the block. Worked great. I did somethings that some people might find very helpful that I'll post on here, including an indicator light on the dash that goes off when the brake in the Jeep gets depressed.