Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Electrical Management System (EMS) - Surge Protection suggestions

Hi everyone...

I'd like to get an EMS (Electrical Management System) for my coach and would like to get some input.

First of all, I know the difference between an EMS and Surge...however, there are some "smart" Surge protectors that are worth considering.

I have read some of the POSTs on the forum where some people hardwired them into their coach and some people just attach them to the pole/line feed (dongle). I don't want this POST to be about the differences between hardwired and dongle style; you won't convince me that one is better than the other. The only difference I see is one is a hassle to install, and the other isn't.

For this reason, I'm planning on going with the dongle style as they are easy to install and if it goes out, I'm not having to deal with removing wires. Plus, this is the "gate keeper" to the voltage and if it were to short out or even burn up, I'll be glad that I didn't hardwire it in my coach. Plus, with the dongle, as soon as I connect it up, I can see what the voltages are and the status any time.

My coach is 30-amp, yet most RV parks are 50-amp. So, do I get a 30-amp EMS or a 50-amp? I would think that a 50-amp would work just fine on a 30-amp coach as both are monitoring the voltage.

On the side of my house, I have a 30-amp electrical outlet with 3 prongs and the coach has a completely different connector.

If I were to get a 50-amp EMS, what does one do if the RV park only has 30-amp outlets? I guess one could use an adapter.

I have different cables/adapters for either 30 or 50-amp, but it would seem to me that the easiest thing would be to find an EMS that plugs right into the coach connector...if they make such a thing.

If you have a dongle style...what did you buy and why?
Do they all have start delays?

Thoughts anyone?

__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
Posts: 1,702
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Hi everyone...

I'd like to get an EMS (Electrical Management System) for my coach and would like to get some input.

First of all, I know the difference between an EMS and Surge...however, there are some "smart" Surge protectors that are worth considering.

I have read some of the POSTs on the forum where some people hardwired them into their coach and some people just attach them to the pole/line feed (dongle). I don't want this POST to be about the differences between hardwired and dongle style; you won't convince me that one is better than the other. The only difference I see is one is a hassle to install, and the other isn't.

For this reason, I'm planning on going with the dongle style as they are easy to install and if it goes out, I'm not having to deal with removing wires. Plus, this is the "gate keeper" to the voltage and if it were to short out or even burn up, I'll be glad that I didn't hardwire it in my coach. Plus, with the dongle, as soon as I connect it up, I can see what the voltages are and the status any time.

My coach is 30-amp, yet most RV parks are 50-amp. So, do I get a 30-amp EMS or a 50-amp? I would think that a 50-amp would work just fine on a 30-amp coach as both are monitoring the voltage.

On the side of my house, I have a 30-amp electrical outlet with 3 prongs and the coach has a completely different connector.

If I were to get a 50-amp EMS, what does one do if the RV park only has 30-amp outlets? I guess one could use an adapter.

I have different cables/adapters for either 30 or 50-amp, but it would seem to me that the easiest thing would be to find an EMS that plugs right into the coach connector...if they make such a thing.

If you have a dongle style...what did you buy and why?
Do they all have start delays?

Thoughts anyone?
If you have a 30 amp coach get the 30 amp EMS & a 50 to 30 amp quality dog bone adapter for that very rare occasion that 30 is not available.
The 50 amp EMS will have 2 line voltages displayed with most likely 1 reading 0 & just causing confusion, where your 30 will only have 1 line voltage that should within specs.
Plugging your 30 amp coach into a 50 amp plug does not/will not give any more power to your coach, just makes 1 unnecessary piece to plug in to reduce it back to 30 amps.
Typically most parks that offer power will all have 30 amp plugs at the pedestal, 50 amp ones not nearly as common especially in state/national/older/smaller parks.
Also by "dongle" I assume you are referring to the portable EMS? Never ever heard anything portable called "dongle"!
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Plugging your 30 amp coach into a 50 amp plug does not/will not give any more power to your coach, just makes 1 unnecessary piece to plug in to reduce it back to 30 amps.
Typically most parks that offer power will all have 30 amp plugs at the pedestal, 50 amp ones not nearly as common especially in state/national/older/smaller parks.
Also by "dongle" I assume you are referring to the portable EMS? Never ever heard anything portable called "dongle"!
Just for those reading this...I understand what you meant to say, but the fact is; a 50-amp outlet will give you more available power than a 30-amp; now if you have a 30-amp coach and draw more than what it is designed for, well, get out the marshmallows (well, actually you'd just blow the circuit breaker for your RV spot. Case in point...some people add a second air conditioner and instead of converting over to a 50-amp coach, they will install two connectors on the coach...a 30-amp and a 20-amp...thus giving you more power.

The "dongle" is another name for a portable EMS.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #4
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 10,168
THOR #7035
Get a 30 Amp EMS/Surge or lose the overcurrent protection for your SP cord.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Get a 30 Amp EMS/Surge or lose the overcurrent protection for your SP cord.
I'm not sure why you mean "lose the overcurrent protection SP cord"...I don't have any SP, unless Thor puts one in the coach.

That was my thought (getting a 30amp), but then I was thinking, there are times when the current can spike (such as starting the AC and Microwave at the same time)...so my thinking was perhaps I should go with a 50-amp to give me some head room and not stress the electronics.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trophy1200's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
Posts: 198
THOR #22490
In this instance SP = Shore Power not surge protector.

Go with the 30 amp as designed for your system as it's unlikely that you will find a 50 amp connector but no 30 amp at the pedestal.
__________________
Kev

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
No toad YET
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
In this instance SP = Shore Power not surge protector.

Go with the 30 amp as designed for your system as it's unlikely that you will find a 50 amp connector but no 30 amp at the pedestal.
Ahhh!! I'm glad you clarified that.

I do have a 50amp to 30amp short adapter cable.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:32 AM   #8
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 10,168
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Ahhh!! I'm glad you clarified that.

I do have a 50amp to 30amp short adapter cable.
Which is what removes your SP cable overcurrent protection.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Thanks for the info, but I'm hoping to get some recommendations when it comes to portable EMS unit.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trophy1200's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
Posts: 198
THOR #22490
Ems

I have the Bulldog 50A plug in EMS with bluetooth connection to my phone.

Very happy with it, able to monitor voltages and loads on each leg of the supply without going outside. Easy to connect and disconnect, has security ring to allow you to secure it to the pedestal so those people with light fingers can't easily walk away with it.

Have a look at the 30A portable and installed models and see if they suit your needs/expectations.
__________________
Kev

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
No toad YET
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
I have the Bulldog 50A plug in EMS with bluetooth connection to my phone.

Very happy with it, able to monitor voltages and loads on each leg of the supply without going outside. Easy to connect and disconnect, has security ring to allow you to secure it to the pedestal so those people with light fingers can't easily walk away with it.

Have a look at the 30A portable and installed models and see if they suit your needs/expectations.
Do you mean the "Power Watch Dog"? I can't find a "Bulldog".
I thought the Bluetooth was a gimmick, but you bring up a good point.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:37 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
Posts: 1,702
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Just for those reading this...I understand what you meant to say, but the fact is; a 50-amp outlet will give you more available power than a 30-amp; now if you have a 30-amp coach and draw more than what it is designed for, well, get out the marshmallows (well, actually you'd just blow the circuit breaker for your RV spot. Case in point...some people add a second air conditioner and instead of converting over to a 50-amp coach, they will install two connectors on the coach...a 30-amp and a 20-amp...thus giving you more power.

The "dongle" is another name for a portable EMS.
I'll reword that then!
There's absolutely NO benefit to your 30 amp coach using the 50 amp plug at any pedestal with a 50 amp EMS.
If you overload your 30 amp system plugged into a 50 amp with or without the EMS you could possibly damage your shore cord due to the 50 amp breakers not sensing the overload & not tripping.
If you have a 30 amp coach get the 30 amp EMS.......
If you have a 50 amp coach get the 50 amp EMS.
It's as simple as that!
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Trophy1200's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
Posts: 198
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Do you mean the "Power Watch Dog"? I can't find a "Bulldog".
I thought the Bluetooth was a gimmick, but you bring up a good point.
Yes, thatís the one. Bulldog changes from white to red on the face of the unit when thereís a fault condition.
__________________
Kev

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
No toad YET
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:50 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
Yes, thatís the one. Bulldog changes from white to red on the face of the unit when thereís a fault condition.
Clever! Maybe it should have been called "MAD DOG"
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bob Nodine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
Posts: 329
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Thanks for the info, but I'm hoping to get some recommendations when it comes to portable EMS unit.
A true EMS cannot be added at the pedestal. A true EMS has relays installed in the path of high current devices like air conditioners, electric water heaters, clothes dryers, and when the overall coach current draw approaches the maximum current draw the EMS will start opening relays to shed devices. The first device to go is usually the the 2nd or 3rd air conditioner. Our coach is a 30 amp coach and has the factory installed EMS because it has two air conditioners. The only devices that are shed on our coach are the air conditioners. It sheds the rear AC first and then the front if necessary.

The world's best EMS is you. Know the loads and manage what you use. Toast the bread before making the coffee, etc.
__________________
Bob
2022 Quantum JM31, 2020 Chevy Sonic
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
Posts: 1,474
THOR #17765
I second what Bob says!
__________________
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:42 PM   #17
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 77
THOR #23201
I have the Progressive industries EMS-PT 30X So far Iíve been happy with it.
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x
__________________
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:50 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 329
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I have the Progressive industries EMS-PT 30X So far Iíve been happy with it.
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x
From what I am reading progressive is a quality unit.

One of the advantages of having a portable which I didn't about, was that if the shore power in your spot doesn't measure up, you can take the device and check other locations; not so convenient if all you have is a hard-wired unit.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:20 AM   #19
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 77
THOR #23201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
From what I am reading progressive is a quality unit.

One of the advantages of having a portable which I didn't about, was that if the shore power in your spot doesn't measure up, you can take the device and check other locations; not so convenient if all you have is a hard-wired unit.
I always test the shore power pedestal with my multi meter before I hook anything up. Iíve had to move spots at one rv park and another changed the 30 amp breaker
__________________
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:44 AM   #20
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
Posts: 7,472
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
From what I am reading progressive is a quality unit.

One of the advantages of having a portable which I didn't about, was that if the shore power in your spot doesn't measure up, you can take the device and check other locations; not so convenient if all you have is a hard-wired unit.
So true and I did just that at a park this trip. Found two pedestals with neutral issues.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2