Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
Tfryman, I just tested for continuity between the neutral and ground on the MH outlets with the electricity shut off. I do have continuity between neutral and ground. From what you said, this should not be, so any suggestions on tracking down the source and fixing it? Thanks very much for your help with this.
Beau explained it exactly as I understand it. I would start at the transfer switch and verify it is properly wired. If the fault is not here you will need to check each circuit from the breaker panel by lifting either the ground or neutral and checking continuity on that circuit. When you find the faulty circuit you will need to trace that out to find the fault.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #22
Wyn

Model: Chateau 24F
State: New York
THOR #12514
Bob, that is what I am doing now (without the surge protector) but my concern is if I am in a camping spot with a GFI I would be SOL electric wise. Also, this is a brand new rig, and all systems should work correctly.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #23
Wyn

THOR #12514
Beau, Trifryman, thanks for the explanation as to how the system should work and what to look for. Since the MH is brand new and under warranty, I think it best to let the dealer take care of the wiring issues, that, and I am not an electrician by any means. Thanks again, and I will pass this information onto the dealer and let you know what they come up with.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #24

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I certainly don't but is seems to me the only reason to use a wire nut is the wiring harness is too short. I been through my coach competently rewiring for 50 amps, I haven't seem or found a wire nut yet. Just lucky I bought a coach floor plan that had been in production for 4 years (but now out of production).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:28 AM   #25
Wyn

THOR #12514
Update, the electrical issue has been fixed, the motorhome does not trip the GFCI at the house any more! I gave the dealer a copy of this thread, and they discussed it with Thor who agreed that continuity between neutral and ground could be the cause of the problem. The dealer then traced the circuits and found a junction box that had a neutral and ground wire touching each other. He separated the wires and isolated them from each other and problem solved.
Thanks to all who offered advice to me, it definitely helped point Thor in the right direction, and I am fortunate to have a dealer who cares about their customers and they worked hard to locate and fix the problem.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Glad you got it fixed! Sad part is Thor and the dealer needed to be pointed in the right direction. You would think they would be the experts on this.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 AM   #27
Wyn

THOR #12514
Tfryman, you would think they would be the experts, but at least they listened to the advice from the real experts on this forum and followed through to fix it. You and Beau388 were spot on about the problem, thanks very much for your help.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I am surprised to hear that a neutral and a ground could be touching in a junction box. Neutral wires should be insulated, whereas ground wires don't have to be insulated.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #29
Wyn

THOR #12514
I agree Metalman, but I didn’t see the work being done, and I didn’t ask the tech any questions about the conditions in the box, I was just excited that it was fixed!!