Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Well, I learned a lot. Fortunately, no one else was plugged in today when I got to my storage area. Everything worked fine so the post just can't handle multiple units plugged in. From the 10AWG wire that was being used by one of the neighbors, my guess is that they may be doing more than charging or running something small. I appreciate all the info. I picked up a tester and learned a lot more about my inverter. Thank you all for your help.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:18 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
Well, I learned a lot. Fortunately, no one else was plugged in today when I got to my storage area. Everything worked fine so the post just can't handle multiple units plugged in. From the 10AWG wire that was being used by one of the neighbors, my guess is that they may be doing more than charging or running something small. I appreciate all the info. I picked up a tester and learned a lot more about my inverter. Thank you all for your help.
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see the issue again? The fact that you say it was tripping GFCI when you plugged in; says the issue was downstream on your line, unless someone was just happening to be plugging in that same circuit that has a ground fault?

It is very possible you have a loose wire somewhere, or had some moisture that has not dried. If it were my coach, I still raise the issue to the dealer as you first reported anyway; so it is on record. You don't want to manage to get by on a random electrical issue just to go pass the warranty and then find it needs a repair later.

Good luck, and if you do report to dealer, take my advice and follow The ACE; he has laid out exactly what they should check.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:22 AM   #23

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
That's great but you said the GFCI was tripping not the breaker. The GFCI would have no effect on the number of rv's on the line. I think one of the electricians on here could answer this
Old 12-06-2021, 12:40 AM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
That's great but you said the GFCI was tripping not the breaker. The GFCI would have no effect on the number of rv's on the line. I think one of the electricians on here could answer this
X2
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #25

THOR #21743
All noted and part of my shakedown list. Unfortunately, the electrical stuff is still is over my head. I assume if I lay out the issue based on all the feedback the dealer may be able to further diagnose. These days, I feel like the more specifics I can provide the better.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #26

THOR #21743
Quote:
I have a GFCI at my home and it kept tripping and I replaced it with a new one and now I don't have any problems. Just wondering if the GFCI went bad. Can you drive it home for a minute and plug it into a GFCI at home like your kitchen or bathroom, if it doesn't trip at home the problem is at the storage unit. I don't trust the dealers, try everything before you go in to the dealer so they won't say everything is fine. Test it at home and if it trips you know the motorhome is the problem or the adaptor from 50 amp to 15/20 amp is defective
I was able to test it at another outlet and everything seemed to work fine. Calls into question the outlet I was using, but I am still confused by the GFCI tripping and what would cause that at the power on my site. All I am really concerned about is if my rig has an issue. I am still not sure about that.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #27

THOR #20274
Quote:
I was able to test it at another outlet and everything seemed to work fine. Calls into question the outlet I was using, but I am still confused by the GFCI tripping and what would cause that at the power on my site. All I am really concerned about is if my rig has an issue. I am still not sure about that.
Just document everything, the dealership will plug it in to their 30 amp adapter or 50 amp plug and if it doesn't trip they will say nothing is wrong. My water tank was leaking bad and 4 times they told me I didn't have a leak. I used water they used compressed air. I put blue paper towels around everything and filled it with water and the towels turned dark blue with water, I showed them the photos and told them to use water not air and the did. They found a hole in the bottom of the tank. I just had it replaced, the last warranty item. Learn your motorhome and after warranty it will never need to go back
Old 12-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #28

THOR #20274
Quote:
I could see if your GFCI was used by more than one RV in the storage unit but that would mean that every time it tripped the person would need to come into your storage unit to reset it. So I think the GFCI is only for your unit. You could try turning everything off and plugging it in, if it doesn't trip go inside the RV and try the lights it it doesn't trip try the fridge and keep trying different things in the RV till it trips
Old 12-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Did he say it was enclosed? Or only that it was connected to a post? I assumed it could be an open area where two units share same circuit.

While very unlikely, the other unit could be root cause of problem under right conditions if they shared GFCI. Once other RV was out of picture, maybe everything worked fine.

I would test at home or at campground GFCI before worrying too much more.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #30

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Did he say it was enclosed? Or only that it was connected to a post? I assumed it could be an open area where two units share same circuit.

While very unlikely, the other unit could be root cause of problem under right conditions if they shared GFCI. Once other RV was out of picture, maybe everything worked fine.

He said in my storage unit so I figured it was inside
Old 12-06-2021, 11:35 PM   #31

THOR #21743
Sorry all. The post and my storage site are outside. Other units can plug in. At the time I was having the issue, one other RV was plugged in.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #32

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Thanks for the advice. I will be camping this weekend and be able to check it.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:23 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Sorry all. The post and my storage site are outside. Other units can plug in. At the time I was having the issue, one other RV was plugged in.
Buy one of the devices I told you about in post #6 and you can always verify or see any issue involving the pedestal or outlet BEFORE you ever connect to your RV.

Twice I have changed a campsite within a park just because I had warning. I didn't even bother to learn what was wrong, just found me a good pedestal.
If everything checks green and then you hook up; YOU have an issue on your side of the line or in your RV; matters not what anyone else has done or doing.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #34

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Plug something else into the outlet... like a portable electric heater. See if it trips.
Trips? = Pedestal problem
Doesn't trip? = Motorhome problem
Old 12-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #35

THOR #21743
That should be easy enough to try. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #36

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I could see if your GFCI was used by more than one RV in the storage unit but that would mean that every time it tripped the person would need to come into your storage unit to reset it. So I think the GFCI is only for your unit. You could try turning everything off and plugging it in, if it doesn't trip go inside the RV and try the lights it it doesn't trip try the fridge and keep trying different things in the RV till it trips
This was going to be my suggestion.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #37

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
The watt meters sold in the box stores or online are handy to check what your actual amp draw usage is
Old 12-12-2021, 12:51 AM   #38

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Gfci

dkoldman said that a bad ground fault outlet is rare. I have found that when used outdoors, they do not last very long. I was told this by an electrician. I used to plug in at my in-laws house and had a problem. I rewired a box in the basement to hold the GFCI and now no worries. If the pole is outside, it very well may be bad.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:09 AM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
dkoldman said that a bad ground fault outlet is rare. I have found that when used outdoors, they do not last very long. I was told this by an electrician. I used to plug in at my in-laws house and had a problem. I rewired a box in the basement to hold the GFCI and now no worries. If the pole is outside, it very well may be bad.
You don't need to be an electrician know that a GFCI outlet that is inside will last longer than one installed outdoors in the elements?

You have to define a bad ground fault outlet versus a bad install.

My point was the fact that a GFCI is tripping does NOT mean it is bad. It may saves someone life because it is detecting neutral to ground someone. And yes the way it is wired can cause tripping even if the physical box is inside. i.e. some times if it rains long and hard enough one of my GFCI will trip and it is inside the garage, but may be connected to regular outlet side for things like Christmas light etc. and yes I have a GFCI I installed out sidenext to my RV that if the sprinkler runs and it will get wet and trip. next day suns out I just reset and go. Point here is that all of my GFCIs installed by electricians were inside

I could put in a brand new GFCI and if I have neutral to ground issues it will still trip was my point. I have never had situation where I had to replace the GFCI plug just to get it to work? I know it is could happen, but rare IMO

The one I installed was convenience for me and I see the tripping as a good thing, it reminds me that I have neutral to ground someplace at that moment which is what it is designed to do. I could moved the outlet, but I want the power outlet outside where I have it.