Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
Electricity-Charging

When plugging to a 120v post in my storage unit and using adapters to use the 50AMP plug, the power keeps tripping at the post. My solar charger is on. Not sure why the power keeps tripping, nothing in the coach drawing a lot power. The only thing on is the fridge running off the inverter. Any thoughts?

Old 12-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by robebur View Post
When plugging to a 120v post in my storage unit and using adapters to use the 50AMP plug, the power keeps tripping at the post. My solar charger is on. Not sure why the power keeps tripping, nothing in the coach drawing a lot power. The only thing on is the fridge running off the inverter. Any thoughts?
If plugged into shore power why would the fridge be running off the inverter.
So you your plugged in with solar & converter keeping the batteries charged due to running the inverter? That's a belt & suspenders type situation.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #3

THOR #21743
I thought the fridge would only run with the inverter on. First rig with an inverter and solar charger so I am still trying to figure it all out.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I thought the fridge would only run with the inverter on. First rig with an inverter and solar charger so I am still trying to figure it all out.
It only runs on the inverter when you aren't plugged into SP or running the generator.

What do you mean by " the power keeps tripping at the post"? Are you plugged into a GFCI outlet? Is it the GFCI tripping? If so, that means your ground and neutral are bonded in the MH - not how it's supposed to be.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:21 AM   #5

THOR #21743
Not sure what @neutral and ground are bonded in the MH@ means. Somewhere they are touching? Where would they be bonded?
Old 12-05-2021, 12:22 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Your problem statement does not seem to jive with what you are trying to learn about Inverter or solar for a new rig.

Turn Inverter off and take it out the equation, find out why the breaker is tripping at the post.

Since it is new rig for you, if it were mine, I would not plug it in to that socket unless I had it tested. You don't need a electrician; but you should have at least one of these anyway, it will tell if anything is wrong.

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.camperid.com/trc/50a-str...RoCjqwQAvD_BwE

I have then both, I never plug in ANYWHERE without checking first, even at home.

Until you learn what is happening consider that breaker tripping as a good thing for your RV, which may not necessarily a be a bad thing in the big picture.

A cheap way to test is go to Home Depot and get a wiring tester (MAKE SURE IT CHECKS GFCI)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...206029151-_-N&
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:25 AM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Not sure what @neutral and ground are bonded in the MH@ means. Somewhere they are touching? Where would they be bonded?
Did you read the questions?
Old 12-05-2021, 03:33 AM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Your problem statement does not seem to jive with what you are trying to learn about Inverter or solar for a new rig.

Turn Inverter off and take it out the equation, find out why the breaker is tripping at the post.

Since it is new rig for you, if it were mine, I would not plug it in to that socket unless I had it tested. You don't need a electrician; but you should have at least one of these anyway, it will tell if anything is wrong.

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.camperid.com/trc/50a-str...RoCjqwQAvD_BwE

I have then both, I never plug in ANYWHERE without checking first, even at home.

Until you learn what is happening consider that breaker tripping as a good thing for your RV, which may not necessarily a be a bad thing in the big picture.

A cheap way to test is go to Home Depot and get a wiring tester (MAKE SURE IT CHECKS GFCI)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...206029151-_-N&
I didn't read the full descriptions on either of the surge protectors you posted, but if they are not an EMS ,electrical management system, they should be.
The surge protectors do just that & only that, but the EMS protects from about any electrical fault that may occur. Yes they cost more, but they offer more protection. I wouldn't plug any rv into any power source without an EMS!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:46 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I didn't read the full descriptions on either of the surge protectors you posted, but if they are not an EMS ,electrical management system, they should be.
The surge protectors do just that & only that, but the EMS protects from about any electrical fault that may occur. Yes they cost more, but they offer more protection. I wouldn't plug any rv into any power source without an EMS!
Both were links to the Southwire model, one EMS and one not. The intent was not for EMS protection; but both if OP had; would have at least verified that his wiring was correct. I have both of the Southwire models, you can google Surge Guard 44270 & 34951. I keep my EMS locked inside my electrical bay and use the other to verify pedestals. When I am at shady looking pedestal at a campsite I have them both connected.

The 3rd link was to simple wire tested that would also have verified the wiring.

With that said, it seems to be assumed that the wiring is good and issue is actually within the coach. OP is going to need to do some trial and error to find out short to neutral and ground is.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #10

THOR #21743
Thanks. I always run my Hughes Power Watchdog. I have used the camper with no problems while plugged in. Just confused as the why when in storage the constant popping of the GFCI. It could be as simple as another rig plugged in using too much power or my fridge kicking on is making the it pop. I really appreciate all the thoughful answers. Electrical continues to be the one area that makes me feel stupid. For now, I will run the fridge off the solar charger and inverter and see if the batteries hold up. Then try to diangose the post and see if I have a problem in the rig.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Many Coaches will trip 15/20 amp GFCI

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 12-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:

Start with basics first before jumping into a lot of fixes based on guesses.

First, what are you plugged into at “storage unit”? Some storage units only provide 15A service to keep batteries charged. Also, your power may be shared with other users. Can you confirm nothing else (like another motorhome) is plugged into same breaker circuit.

You mention not using a lot of power in your coach. What exactly do you have on? Sounds like refrigerator and battery charger (converter) but are you certain that you don’t have water heater on, or trying to run an A/C, etc. Water heater on electric are often easy to forget, and they draw a lot of power.

Please provide more specific information so you don’t end up wasting time and money. You may just be overloading a breaker. In my opinion it’s hard to say with information you provided.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #13

THOR #21743
There is nothing else on, other than those items that seem to unavoidable like the lights on the radio and indicator light on the stove and microwave clock. I am tending to think it is an overload situation at the post. Ideally, all I am trying to do is run my fridge in advance of leaving for a trip so it is cold when I load up. If the solar charger can keep up with that I am all set. I will be returning today to check it. Great insight though, thanks.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
There is nothing else on, other than those items that seem to unavoidable like the lights on the radio and indicator light on the stove and microwave clock. I am tending to think it is an overload situation at the post. Ideally, all I am trying to do is run my fridge in advance of leaving for a trip so it is cold when I load up. If the solar charger can keep up with that I am all set. I will be returning today to check it. Great insight though, thanks.
You never answered the question? Is it a GFCI outlet that is tripping?

GFCIs do NOT trip on overload - there is a separate breaker for that.

There are combined GFCI/Overload breakers;

but they usually supply multiple outlets, not a single pole.

Since this is a storage area I doubt you have access to the breaker panel to reset an overload condition so I can only assume you are tripping a GFCI outlet, WHICH DOES NOT TRIP ON OVERLOAD.

So you have 3 choices:

Plug into a non-GFCI circuit
Find the ground/neutral bonding problem in your MH
Purchase an isolation transformer for about $500.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks. I always run my Hughes Power Watchdog. I have used the camper with no problems while plugged in. Just confused as the why when in storage the constant popping of the GFCI. It could be as simple as another rig plugged in using too much power or my fridge kicking on is making the it pop. I really appreciate all the thoughtful answers. Electrical continues to be the one area that makes me feel stupid. For now, I will run the fridge off the solar charger and inverter and see if the batteries hold up. Then try to diangose the post and see if I have a problem in the rig.

The Hughes Power Watchdog works and should confirm wiring, I was only trying to get confirmation that your wiring was correct. It was not clear on 1st post.

I use a 15/20 amp dog bone all the time, but I can also read the amperage or draw on my power management system. I have never tripped a breaker on one unless I was trying to run Microwave & AC or 2 ACs which I never do.

Have you run it on other 15/20 with no issues. I have a Refrigerator in our garage and a compressor plugged into different out let and when the fridge motors come on at the same time as compressor it will trip. But again that is breaker NOT GFCI. If your outside wiring is 100% confirmed you have a fault inside of the RV or a defective GFCI ( which is rare). Any chance any wiring in the RV getting wet or in a very moist area?
Old 12-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #16

THOR #21743
16ACE27, It is a GFCI I am plugging into and that is popping and needing to be reset. I have done the reset at the post by pushing the reset button, but it trips again.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #17

THOR #21743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The Hughes Power Watchdog works and should confirm wiring, I was only trying to get confirmation that your wiring was correct. It was not clear on 1st post.

I use a 15/20 amp dog bone all the time, but I can also read the amperage or draw on my power management system. I have never tripped a breaker on one unless I was trying to run Microwave & AC or 2 ACs which I never do.

Have you run it on other 15/20 with no issues. I have a Refrigerator in our garage and a compressor plugged into different out let and when the fridge motors come on at the same time as compressor it will trip. But again that is breaker NOT GFCI. If your outside wiring is 100% confirmed you have a fault inside of the RV or a defective GFCI ( which is rare). Any chance any wiring in the RV getting wet or in a very moist area?
The rig is new and I haven't tried it at any other 15/20 amp hookup. No signs of anything getting wet. Everything seemed to run fine on my first shakedown. I have another shakedown trip this week before taking it in for service. I can try the 15/20 there.
Headed over to storage again today to beat myself up some more. I will look for water intrusion.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
16ACE27, It is a GFCI I am plugging into and that is popping and needing to be reset. I have done the reset at the post by pushing the reset button, but it trips again.
Then you have a ground fault in the RV. It may be due to:
Incorrect wiring by Thor.
An errant screw piercing wires.
A failed water heater element.

It is NOT normal for an RV to trip GFCI SP breakers. There is an issue that needs to be found and resolved. Some will say it is due to the GFCI in the RV but theoretically that should not be the problem - You can open the breaker in the RV that supplies the GFCI circuit(s) and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #19

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I have a GFCI at my home and it kept tripping and I replaced it with a new one and now I don't have any problems. Just wondering if the GFCI went bad. Can you drive it home for a minute and plug it into a GFCI at home like your kitchen or bathroom, if it doesn't trip at home the problem is at the storage unit. I don't trust the dealers, try everything before you go in to the dealer so they won't say everything is fine. Test it at home and if it trips you know the motorhome is the problem or the adaptor from 50 amp to 15/20 amp is defective
Old 12-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The other thing to check out is your adapter. It may be bad causing it to short at the pole.

Paul