Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2022, 07:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Emergency Medical Information --- ICE

Where in your RV do you store your ICE (In Case of Emergency) and medical information?

In light of Ian and also having both my spouse and myself having experienced medical emergencies in the course of our recent travels, I'm trying to be a bit better prepared.

I have finally prepared a sheet for each of us with our pertinent medical and insurance info as well as copies of all the requisite Medicare card, Rx coverage, and drivers licence on the back.

I'd like to keep these in an envelope that is easily accessible (yet not front & center to the whole world) should they be needed by EMTs or a stressed out spouse.

I think it would be best if it was toward the front of the MH as EMTs may not even make it to the back bedroom area or the bathroom.

What have any of you done?

And where do you store them?

Our Axis has about a 6 inch wide wall just to the right of an overhead cupboard behind the driver seat. You walk/look right toward that wall when you come up the steps to enter the MH. I'm thinking of putting a small red cross and arrow on the wall and attaching an envelope with the info to the side of the cupboard. It would slightly "out of sight out or mind" during a normal day, but for EMTs trained to look for ICE I think it would work.

I've heard of putting this kind of info in home refrigerator freezers. I think that would be more of a nuisance in the MH, forget about the paper picking up humidity and the ink bleeding to blur the content.

Please chime in with your experiences, ideas, thoughts. Hopefully we'll never actually need it, but you know the scout motto....
TIA

Old 09-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Everything you listed can be put on your phone in an ICE app that makes it available from the lock screen so the phone does not need to be unlocked. It's the first thing first responders look for if they can't find it in a wallet on the person.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
If there is critical medical information that EMT's need to know ASAP, it should be on your person at all times and easily accessible.

I'd be careful about putting personal information in an app on any portable device, too easily lost or exposed to bad actors.

I would instead give those details to someone (or ever better 2 or more) you trust. Then have their contact numbers listed under the name 911 on your phone AND I would have the numbers prominently displayed inside the RV somewhere as well as on a business card in your wallet. I might go as far as to have custom 'In case of emergency' stickers made up and stuck around inside, but that's just me.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:04 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Everything you listed can be put on your phone in an ICE app that makes it available from the lock screen so the phone does not need to be unlocked. It's the first thing first responders look for if they can't find it in a wallet on the person.
Do you have a recommended app? What do others use? I've never even thought about doing something like this. But it sure makes sense. Now to pick an app.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
Do you have a recommended app? What do others use? I've never even thought about doing something like this. But it sure makes sense. Now to pick an app.
The paid version of :

ICE : In Case of Emergency by Techxonia Inc. seems to be pretty good.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
If there is critical medical information that EMT's need to know ASAP, it should be on your person at all times and easily accessible.

I'd be careful about putting personal information in an app on any portable device, too easily lost or exposed to bad actors.

I would instead give those details to someone (or ever better 2 or more) you trust. Then have their contact numbers listed under the name 911 on your phone AND I would have the numbers prominently displayed inside the RV somewhere as well as on a business card in your wallet. I might go as far as to have custom 'In case of emergency' stickers made up and stuck around inside, but that's just me.
We have a small cubby above the entry door. On the outside is sticker with the words (Emergency Medical Information). Inside are four envelopers with copies of all the needed info and medical directives. The folders have on the outside, direction to the cabinet above the sink where we keep a 30 day supply of the prescriptions in the delivery containers. We have found that customs may confiscate any unlabeled medications not in the pharmacy bottles (on both sides of the borders.)
The third folder is all the info for the Abby cats should they be orphaned. The fourth contains all the info needed in case of a wreck and includes cards with ours and the insurance company's info.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:40 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Thanks to all for the ideas.

I do not carry a cell phone. Our ICE contact info is on my husband's cell, but I'm not sure what good that is when we are in an area with limited to no cell service (case in point, our local service is spotty, hence my not wasting $$ on a cell).

Like one of you mentioned, I too am concerned about that phone getting lost and my info falling into the wrong hands. We are not nearly as secure as we delude ourselves to be. I'll KISS and stay old school.

Hadn't thought to put copies of our medical directives in the envelope. That's a point well taken. The business card and stickers are also a smart idea.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
Thanks to all for the ideas.

I do not carry a cell phone. Our ICE contact info is on my husband's cell, but I'm not sure what good that is when we are in an area with limited to no cell service (case in point, our local service is spotty, hence my not wasting $$ on a cell).

Like one of you mentioned, I too am concerned about that phone getting lost and my info falling into the wrong hands. We are not nearly as secure as we delude ourselves to be. I'll KISS and stay old school.

Hadn't thought to put copies of our medical directives in the envelope. That's a point well taken. The business card and stickers are also a smart idea.
Information stored on a phone doesn't require phone service to access, first responders have other means of communication so it would be much better than nothing.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote