Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #14999
Engine Cowling Key

I recently purchased a 2018 Hurricane. I could not figure out how to get the engine cowling open. I took it to the place where I purchased it and they could not do so either. The issue is the key. The key handle is wide and with a short stub that is inserted into a slot and it needs to turn to unlock the cowling. It will not turn far enough to unlock because the wide key hits the top of horizontal rib. (decorative ribs that allow air flow, lack of better term) Thor states they have not heard of this issue. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Old 04-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Would it be possible for you to post a picture?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Never heard of this problem. Grind down key to make it work?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:18 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
So if it’s never been opened how do you even know it has enough oil...?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #5

State: Alaska
THOR #13410
I have the same problem. I was able to get it open but the key design is the problem. You just have to get it just right.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Is this the key?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190412-202653_Brave.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	16641  
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:43 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
On my Hurricane the tab of the lock hits a piece of steel on the inside of the engine compartment. It took me 30 minutes to get it open when I took delivery, now I don't lock it. I just push it closed and let the wind keep it that way.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
On my Hurricane the tab of the lock hits a piece of steel on the inside of the engine compartment. It took me 30 minutes to get it open when I took delivery, now I don't lock it. I just push it closed and let the wind keep it that way.
Is this "Piece of steel" something that can be grounded down safely?

I cant image NOT having anything holding my grill locked in place. If I stopped quickly mine would flop forward and down, then I would have to get up and push it back in. Can you put a bungie cord on it for safety?

Is everyone with a Hurricane having this problem? If not - why? Design change?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post

You should be able to remove the “tab” on the lock and bend it slightly and reinstall it so that it works properly.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

THOR #11781
The grill on my coach pulls straight out then is lifted up. It takes a lot of force to open. When open, it is parallel to the front of the coach and when in the drivers seat, your view is not obstructed by the open grill. I could bend the tab, but the obstruction is structural. In one year of travel the hood has not come open.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
key problem

Can you grind down the key to clear the obstruction?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #12

Model: Miramar
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You should be able to remove the “tab” on the lock and bend it slightly and reinstall it so that it works properly.

Pete is correct. The lock design is actually simple and common in applications outside of the RV industry. After raising the hood, the lever on the lock can be adjusted with the key turning just enough where you will be able to see where it locks in place. When we took delivery of our Miramar, we observed the same issue of the lever not turning and binding. Fix was 15 minutes, and the key was not the issue.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #13

Model: Miramar
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
Can you grind down the key to clear the obstruction?

One comment....as noted in my response to Pete. The issue is not the key, as the lever is binding and needs adjusting. With the key in the lock, put pressure on the hood with your hand as you attempt to turn ... this will take pressure off the lever and allow to turn for opening the hood.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #14

THOR #11781
Looked at the locks again and it looks like the lever is supposed to slip in between a bar of steel that supports the grill and a bar that supports the lower part of the front facia. This gap is maybe 3/16 of an inch. Adjusting the tab of the lock all the way forward the tab barely slips into the gap. To lock the grill in place you have to wiggle the grill while turning the key. While my grill now locks, I don't think I'll bother, as you have to pull the grill out about 6" before it swings up parallel to the front end. The weight of the grill keeps it down and in and any wind pressure from driving only keeps it more in place.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
I purchased a 2018 Hurricane 34J and had the same issue. I brought it into the dealer and showed them the problem.

They were confused as to why that was installed that way but agreed to take a look at it while we were having other punch-list items resolved. Happy to report that once unlocked, the locking mechanism can easily be slid down a bit to allow for the key to fully turn. Didn’t have to to grind/bend/modify anything.

(Excited to be able to contribute finally to this great site, btw). You guys have helped me a TON!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 Hurricane. I could not figure out how to get the engine cowling open. I took it to the place where I purchased it and they could not do so either. The issue is the key. The key handle is wide and with a short stub that is inserted into a slot and it needs to turn to unlock the cowling. It will not turn far enough to unlock because the wide key hits the top of horizontal rib. (decorative ribs that allow air flow, lack of better term) Thor states they have not heard of this issue. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Not to "beat a dead horse", but during your PDI, the tech should have shown you the "key roll" of how to latch and unlatch the inspection cover. He/she should have also shown you where and how to check the oil and transmission fluid and where and how to service both. You should have been shown the front cap 12 volt circuit breaker, coolant reservoir, power steering reservoir, windshield washer fluid reservoir and the brake fluid reservoir. Lastly he should have shown you how to check the water level in the chassis battery. Anything less and you were cheated as Thor MC pays the dealer to preform those services (known as dealer prep).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Beau388 - that 12 volt front cap circuit breaker you mentioned. I was replacing the battery on my 2016 Hurricane 35C when I noticed this had "tripped". What does it control?
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
Beau388 - that 12 volt front cap circuit breaker you mentioned. I was replacing the battery on my 2016 Hurricane 35C when I noticed this had "tripped". What does it control?
It controls everything Thor MC installed in the driver's compartment and powers the cap's fuse panel down by the drivers left foot. The items that Detroit Chassis shipped with the stripped chassis are fused through the engine compartment main fuse box. There are a few exceptions like the dash power ports and the radio, but the mirrors, jacks, fans, windshield wipers, cab lights, etc are powered through this circuit breaker.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, cowling, engine, hood, key