Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
Entertainment while down the road

hello
We have a 2017 Thor freedom elite 30 FE. Today while going down the road my kids want to watch DVD. So we cut the Generator. but I realized when My engine is on i had power everywhere but not at front tv over cab. When I turn my engine off the TV was running on the generator. Does anyone know if the front entertainment system has a safety option that it will not work while driving Even with generator on. The TVs in the bunkbed were on with engine on while running generator. I am thinking it might be just that outlet. If anyone can help, I Will appreciate.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes there is a safety because the TV in the front is visible to the driver. Search around here I believe that someone found a way to defeat it (I think there is a fuse you pull under the hood).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #3

THOR #14612
I think that defeats the purpose of running generator. Might have to install inverter to do this.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Isn't watching all of the traffic entertainment enough?
Old 04-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #5

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Isn't watching all of the traffic entertainment enough?
Yes for me it’s fun, not for little ones!!
Old 04-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfreedom View Post
hello
We have a 2017 Thor freedom elite 30 FE. Today while going down the road my kids want to watch DVD. So we cut the Generator. but I realized when My engine is on i had power everywhere but not at front tv over cab. When I turn my engine off the TV was running on the generator. Does anyone know if the front entertainment system has a safety option that it will not work while driving Even with generator on. The TVs in the bunkbed were on with engine on while running generator. I am thinking it might be just that outlet. If anyone can help, I Will appreciate.
I have 2018 30FE and the electrical outlet inside tv compartment is the culprit. I plug an extension cord to electrical outlet near dining light and plug tv and DVD player into cord then tv and dvd works for inside while driving.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Yes for me it’s fun, not for little ones!!
You could always point out the boneheads on the road, and call them "Cautionary Tales".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
I have 2018 30FE and the electrical outlet inside tv compartment is the culprit. I plug an extension cord to electrical outlet near dining light and plug tv and DVD player into cord then tv and dvd works for inside while driving.
Thanks for replying. I will have to do that then till get my inverter.

I got only one 12volt deep cycle house battery. Anyone knows if I can install 1000 watt pure sine on this. Or should I buy another battery and put in parallel. I will be only using this inverter mostly while driving when generator is off. Or sometimes on our quick stops, where can’t turn generator on. I want to go with 2 golf car batteries but I think they will be tall to go under steps. Has anyone done that?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:

I got only one 12volt deep cycle house battery. Anyone knows if I can install 1000 watt pure sine on this. Or should I buy another battery and put in parallel. I will be only using this inverter mostly while driving when generator is off. Or sometimes on our quick stops, where can’t turn generator on. I want to go with 2 golf car batteries but I think they will be tall to go under steps. Has anyone done that?
Golf car batteries won’t fit. I put one AGM battery 92 a-Hr for my house battery. It works great. DVDs can be watched while driving as generator is on cooling coach and fridge.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

If you've got room for another battery: more is always better...
Hook a 1000 watt pure sine inverter up, and you'll be very happy with the results.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
I have a 2019 30fe and on the bracket that the tv is mounted on has a switch that will shut off the power to the plug when the engine is on, I just bypassed the switch, problem solved.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

State: Louisiana
THOR #16620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtyler View Post
I have a 2019 30fe and on the bracket that the tv is mounted on has a switch that will shut off the power to the plug when the engine is on, I just bypassed the switch, problem solved.

Can you post a pic? We just bought a 30Fe and I don's see any switch on the TV bracket?
Thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #13
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:

If using it mostly when driving, then battery capacity won’t matter much... the coach and chassis batteries will be tied together and charged from alternator while driving.
So all you need is capacity for your ‘quick stops’.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
Jn4datigers ... I replied to another post about this, here's the link with pictures
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...0fe-16346.html
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
You should be able to fit two 6 Volt AGM's under your steps like I did. My Axis is based on the E450 chassis. One of my best mods.

I also installed the Aims 1200 inverter so I could run my TV and charge the lap top and other thing from my outlets without having to run the Genset. Works great.

Do a search on this inverter and you will find lots of thread on this form. IMO its the best value for the money (Around $160).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4770.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	20091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	20092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	20093  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #16

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You should be able to fit two 6 Volt AGM's under your steps like I did. My Axis is based on the E450 chassis. One of my best mods.

I also installed the Aims 1200 inverter so I could run my TV and charge the lap top and other thing from my outlets without having to run the Genset. Works great.

Do a search on this inverter and you will find lots of thread on this form. IMO its the best value for the money (Around $160).
I like the way you did. Did you mount inverter under bed where all breakers are. And did you wired it in rvs electrical system with transfer switch. Or just run power From inverter using extension cord