Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2020, 05:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Everchill 12 volt fridge

So we went to the local Sport & RV show over the weekend and as is the norm at all these shows the various mfgrs had their latest offerings on display. While meandering through some of the new offerings from SOB (Coachman model line Pursuit) they had Everchill 12 volt refrigerators in all of the models. Now back in the 90’s we had a three way fridge that was batts, gas & electric. That fridge if left on battery would kill it in 4-5 hours. The sales goober said Coachman says the batteries should last 24 hours with this fridge when off grid.
Now when I called BS on this he admitted he didn’t think that was taking into account using lights, water pump or other 12 volt applications. He thought the batteries should realistically last closer to 10 -12 hours.
I’m thinking this mfgr. didn’t put too much thought into this battery fridge as the only option in this line up. I really like the simplicity of the no slide floor plan on one of these rigs but to me the 12 volt fridge is a deal breaker.
My reasons are if you National Park camp and for example say run the batteries down to say 50% how long must you run the genset to bring them back to full? I’ m guessing maybe 4 hours? How do you do that with restricted generator hours? The average park visitor is there to sightsee, not sit and babysit the generator while it is charging the batteries for the fridge.
Anybody have one of these 12 volt fridges or no someone who has? Am I off base with my assessment of how this fridges power demands effect boondocking opportunities.

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:05 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Yes, you're off base. It's possiy just a loaner fridge for now.

This is where solar comes in.
Or change out the fridge for a small percentage of the total price of the rv.
Just because it's in the rv doesn't mean you have to keep it.

Solar, and more batteries or get rid of it.
Same expense either way.

Its a low price low line as base as can possibly be made rv.
Change what you don't like.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I assume this is what you were looking at?

That fridge is vastly different from the old 3-way absorption fridges which had a 12 VDC heating element as well as the 120 VAC heating element and propane. These new 12 VDC fridges use a very efficient DC compressor to do the cooling and should be able to last 24 hours on a pair of group 31 batteries with other DC loads depending on the ambient temperature. They are ideal for solar invested campers or if you can run a small inverter generator when boondocking.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
....cut.... Am I off base with my assessment of how this fridges power demands effect boondocking opportunities.
Yes, your comparison to an absorption refrigerator running from heat generated by 12V resistance is completely different than a compressor refrigerator. We’ve discussed the subject before below.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...tor-16318.html

Various RV equipment manufacturers have recently introduced similar 12V compressor refrigerators, like Norcold and Furrion. I’m not certain, but think Everchill may be a less expensive unit built in China, which doesn’t mean its bad or worse, since so many things today are built there anyway.

Power consumption of these 12V refrigerators averages around 1 kWh per day, or about 40 to 50 Watts on average. They often pull a little more during day and less at night. Regardless, an old-style propane absorption refrigerator used about 300 Watts, more or less depending on model, so they needed about 5 to 7 times more battery capacity. It’s not even close to comparable.

These 12V compressor refrigerators have been very popular for years in smaller sizes used in Class B campers and DIY van conversions. Owners rate the well-known brands excellent. As with most things, the Devil is in the details, so I don’t know how these inexpensive larger refrigerators will hold up.

I do not plan to buy another RV with propane fridge. I think compressor refrigerators are the future, particularly for the type of touring we do.

And for what it’s worth, I think replacing a compressor refrigerator with a propane absorption refrigerator would be too difficult and expensive to be practical, so I’d make sure to make the right choice taking everything into account.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Here’s a thread on other brand forum complaining about noise.

It is built in China, and is rated up to 120 Watts during defrost according to picture of nameplate. In the past I’ve looked for data on power consumption and wasn’t too successful. It concerns me when manufacturers don’t share all information. That’s not the case with other refrigerator brands.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...or-160694.html
Old 02-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Thanks for the responses.
First off I own an “entry level” coach in the Thor line up an ACE. It has enough bells and whistles for our needs. However I have always been a firm believer the simpler you build things the less there is to fail or require maintenance. The Coachman floor plan with no slides and no power bunk for us is piece of mind. There are some additional features that would be nice adds but tearing apart a new coach regardless of the original price point to modify the fridge (adding gas and electric lines) is not on the radar.
Suppose I should start lurking on other forums with brands that use the 12 volt fridges to get some insight into how these units stack up.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post

.....cut.... There are some additional features that would be nice adds but tearing apart a new coach regardless of the original price point to modify the fridge (adding gas and electric lines) is not on the radar. .....cut....
It’s a lot more involved than running gas and electric lines. If I had one and the Everchill turned out to be junk, I’d replace it with a quality 12V compressor unit. The technology itself is proven, and used in many motorhomes including Thor, Winnebago, etc.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:39 AM   #8
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
A big problem with a propane frig is that the works take up so much space that you are left with very little room for your food. A very inefficent way to cool. I would recommend finding a way to live with the compressor unit.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Yes, they can fit +/- 10 cubic foot compressor fridge in same space as 6~8 cubic foot absorption (propane) units.

I also like that motorhome doesn’t have to be as level with compressor refrigerators, that they can operate at colder temperatures, and that they eliminate the (sometimes ugly) grilles on outside of motorhome for venting.

In my opinion it’s a simpler refrigeration cycle with less things to go wrong. While it shouldn’t happen, I had propane refrigerator on driver’s side of rented RV where pilot light went out when large trucks passed in opposite direction. Shouldn’t happen but it did.

Down side to a quality 12V compressor fridge is higher initial cost than propane absorption units, and that propane can run fridge for a very long time if motorhome is left unattended without shore power (unless RV has enough solar to power 12V fridge indefinitely). Also 12V fridge requires a little larger house battery bank. These negatives can be addressed, but should be considered.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
RWF

Model: Tuscany 36MQ
State: Washington
THOR #15174
My experiance is that Compressor friges are less expencive to purchase. I had a propane one go out once and the replacement cost was thousands, so I went to Home Depo and found one that fit for $300.00. That fridge still works a decade later.....
Old 02-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWF View Post
My experiance is that Compressor friges are less expencive to purchase. I had a propane one go out once and the replacement cost was thousands, so I went to Home Depo and found one that fit for $300.00. That fridge still works a decade later.....
But that's a standard household 120 VAC fridge, not the 12 VDC fridges that are the subject of this thread.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
But that's a standard household 120 VAC fridge, not the 12 VDC fridges that are the subject of this thread.
Still a good point in that the 12V units should drop in price once manufacturers start building 12V compressors in larger quantities. The rest of fridge is pretty much the same.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to propane absorption refrigerator prices if or when demand softens. They could also go down.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Questions and observation

I agree with Duck this makes a stronger argument for solar and would be my tipping point for heading in that direction after holding out for 2+ years because of expected payback. Then again, another thread points out that payback is a misnomer in this lifestyle as you probably wouldn't own a RV in the first place.

+/- 2cf is an added benefit depending on how 'adjustable' the interior configuration is. You have more room but how much can you actually use?

What is the efficiency rating. It has a 12v compressor but how well is it insulated? That's an consumption determinant. Question becomes, does it matter and to whom?

2-way fridge is quiet. Hearing a compressor run would make me feel like I was sleeping in my kitchen instead of my bedroom.

JMHO