Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2019, 09:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw RB Class A
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #9086
House battery replacement

Looking for advice on house batteries replacement for a 2017 Thor 37RB Outlaw. The more I read and research, the more confusing it becomes. Looking for a good quality replacement house battery(4). I do a fair amount of dry camping and do not have solar hook up at this time.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Your cheapest to buy any GC-2 deep cycle battery. These are standard golf cart size and most carts use 8 of them. All will weigh 60 to 66 lbs and will be rated about the same (225 Ahr @ 20 hr rate). They are the cheapest because this group comprises almost 50% of the deep cycle market. I found the cheapest at NAPA (East Penn rebranded).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Costco or Sam's is generally a good buy for 6 volt deep cycle
they both offer a one year free replacement

Sam's Club Duracell 6 Volt Deep Cycle Battery-$89.88

Costco Interstate 6 Volt Deep Cycle Battery - $98.99

(the Costco reviews are not good for some strange reason)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #14308
At the risk of starting another battery discussion, i'll put in my 2 cents worth. Pretty much all i do is dry camp and i have a power hungry RV(ACE 30.2 w/residential refrigerator and 5 TV's). The Stock batteries that came with the RV would hardly last one day even with being conservative.
The problem is not the battery capacity. There are multiple options for high capacity deep cycle batteries. The issue is your ability to recharge them. Normal lead acid batteries only take a charge at a certain rate. It takes 12 hours or more to recharge a discharged battery. You can pull power out of the battery a lot faster than your ability to put it back. Meaning, you could have the best converter on the market with a solar system to back it up and it would still take 12 hours to put it back. If you don't fully recharge, then you start the next day with less capacity.
My solution is to switch to AGM batteries. They are sealed and never need water added, you can get some really high capacity ones, they last a lot longer and the most important thing is they will take a charge at twice the rate as stock batteries. The only downside is that they are pricey. I have 2 220 reserve minute Lifeline batteries at 379.00 ea. Ouch, but if money is not the issue, they are great. I also have a solar system installed with about 20-25A capacity(assuming you are not in the shade). So my routine is start the generator in the morning when i get up. The Gen puts out more power than the solar. Within 1-2 hours, the charge current has dropped below 15A. By then, the sun is high enough for the solar to start working and it finishes the charge by early afternoon. I should note that solar output is like a bubble. It starts as soon as the sun hits the panels and increases to the 20-25A at 1 o'clock and then starts decreasing .
Old 01-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

THOR #6411
I think all the manufacturers of deep cycle AGM batteries recommend the maximum recharge current at 10 to 13 percent to total amp hour capacity of the battery bank. So for 4 GC-2 6 volt batteries rated at 225 AHr each, the max bulk charge current would be 45 to 58.5 amps @12 volts. Charging any faster causes free hydrogen and oxygen to be out-gassed as the movement and recombination of hydrogen and oxygen ions can only occur so fast.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:26 AM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
APEX Battery

These are the least expensive AGM batteries I have found. When my GC-2 batteries die I will most likely give them a try. Short enough to fit nicely under the steps and no adding water. PLUS, what was said above "fast recharge times". https://www.apexbattery.com/apex-apx...m-battery.html
Old 01-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

THOR #14308
The actual charge current is out of our control except for selection of a good converter/charger that is matched to the appropriate battery type. A battery charges based on the applied charge voltage. I'm using the 4-stage charger recommended by Lifeline Batteries. It automatically selects the right voltage.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Definitely go with some decent quality AGM batteries you won't be sorry. What I can't believe is Thor is still using those terrible crappy Chinese (in my case) batteries from r new coaches. I don't know anyone that keeps those things for very long they are really bad.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark8384 View Post
Looking for advice on house batteries replacement for a 2017 Thor 37RB Outlaw. The more I read and research, the more confusing it becomes. Looking for a good quality replacement house battery(4). I do a fair amount of dry camping and do not have solar hook up at this time.
Get sealed AGM. DOnt have to worry about adding water.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #10

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
Definitely go with some decent quality AGM batteries you won't be sorry. What I can't believe is Thor is still using those terrible crappy Chinese (in my case) batteries from r new coaches. I don't know anyone that keeps those things for very long they are really bad.
I still have one Harris group 27 house battery working fine after 4 years. I did have to replace the other Harris battery last year when I let the water in one cell get low enough to expose the led plates.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #11

THOR #11528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
At the risk of starting another battery discussion, i'll put in my 2 cents worth. Pretty much all i do is dry camp and i have a power hungry RV(ACE 30.2 w/residential refrigerator and 5 TV's). The Stock batteries that came with the RV would hardly last one day even with being conservative.
The problem is not the battery capacity. There are multiple options for high capacity deep cycle batteries. The issue is your ability to recharge them. Normal lead acid batteries only take a charge at a certain rate. It takes 12 hours or more to recharge a discharged battery. You can pull power out of the battery a lot faster than your ability to put it back. Meaning, you could have the best converter on the market with a solar system to back it up and it would still take 12 hours to put it back. If you don't fully recharge, then you start the next day with less capacity.
My solution is to switch to AGM batteries. They are sealed and never need water added, you can get some really high capacity ones, they last a lot longer and the most important thing is they will take a charge at twice the rate as stock batteries. The only downside is that they are pricey. I have 2 220 reserve minute Lifeline batteries at 379.00 ea. Ouch, but if money is not the issue, they are great. I also have a solar system installed with about 20-25A capacity(assuming you are not in the shade). So my routine is start the generator in the morning when i get up. The Gen puts out more power than the solar. Within 1-2 hours, the charge current has dropped below 15A. By then, the sun is high enough for the solar to start working and it finishes the charge by early afternoon. I should note that solar output is like a bubble. It starts as soon as the sun hits the panels and increases to the 20-25A at 1 o'clock and then starts decreasing .

I have a question ... sorry I'm dumb but this is the first time for me. Like you I have a Thore Ace 30.2. However, I don't dry camp that much or for that long. I'm looking at the "Weize 12V 100AH Pure GEL Deep Cycle Rechargeable Battery; costs $199 on Amazon. Is there any changes I need to make to my converter or charging system to change to these. On the Q&A's it talks about a max charging rate of 20 amps,

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bob S
Old 01-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #12

THOR #14308
That battery is a standard lead acid battery and your stock charger will be adequate. I say adequate because thats all they install in new motorhomes. A good 3 or 4 stage charger will make your battery last longer.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:21 AM   #13

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your cheapest to buy any GC-2 deep cycle battery. These are standard golf cart size and most carts use 8 of them. All will weigh 60 to 66 lbs and will be rated about the same (225 Ahr @ 20 hr rate). They are the cheapest because this group comprises almost 50% of the deep cycle market. I found the cheapest at NAPA (East Penn rebranded).
Come again? Hit me offline.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
I think all the manufacturers of deep cycle AGM batteries recommend the maximum recharge current at 10 to 13 percent to total amp hour capacity of the battery bank. So for 4 GC-2 6 volt batteries rated at 225 AHr each, the max bulk charge current would be 45 to 58.5 amps @12 volts. Charging any faster causes free hydrogen and oxygen to be out-gassed as the movement and recombination of hydrogen and oxygen ions can only occur so fast.
You don't say
Old 01-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #17909
House batteries on 2020 chateau 31W

I am purchasing a new 2020 Thor Chateau 31W. I do not plan on dry camping or boondocking, at least at this point. This coach is a 30amp with 2 a/c’s and a residential frig. Should I be concerned with the stock batteries? If I need to replace them, what would be the recommended battery? The coach comes with an 1800 inverter. I may have many, many questions to follow.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
I still have one Harris group 27 house battery working fine after 4 years. I did have to replace the other Harris battery last year when I let the water in one cell get low enough to expose the led plates.
Personally, I believe it’s best to change batteries all at once vs adding a new battery with a 4 year old battery as you did.
The reasoning is that when they are connected in parallel, the older & least efficient one will not allow he new efficient one to maximize charge & output.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #17

THOR #17925
Leveling Help

Hello I read a suggestion about buying leveling gauges and sticking one below the window & one on the dash. The post was from 2016. I ordered those leveling gauges and will install them. I used to have a travel trailer and never had a problem leveling because it only had 1 axle. Bought a Thor Axis 27.7 this past August and have a little difficulty with the leveling. front to back is self explanatory although I had to fill one large compartment and 1 small compartment with leveling blocks. My question is do I have to place a level at one axle to level from side to side or both axles because it looks like you only have those 2 level gauges and the side to side gauge is up front, do you have another in the back of the coach? I hope I am making sense. I don't want to twist the coach. K.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #18

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Well when my batteries need replaced I will pay way to much for Lithium batteries. From my research so far they out perform everything on the market and will last for years. Most newer RV's charging systems will also charge them fine. Battle Born batteries seem to be a good bet. Still way to much money but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #19

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
We used the levelling gauges for 10 years and have switched to an app on the smartphone. Its called RV Level and makes it very easy to know where to level and by how many inches.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
Old 01-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #20

THOR #17925
But what about the front axle & the back axle...do I have to level both of them from side to side? K.