Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
Extended warranties/service contacts

My basic question is are they worth it for the cost? My wife and I just purchased a freedom elite 30fe from camping world. I think the total cost is around 8,700 dollars. Thanks for the input

Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
My basic question is are they worth it for the cost? My wife and I just purchased a freedom elite 30fe from camping world. I think the total cost is around 8,700 dollars. Thanks for the input
Seems way too high for the cost. What say the rest of you?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #3

THOR #6433
That price would cover, service contract, gap insurance, roadside assistance and tire protection.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
You will probably get 2 very different types of response to your question. I believe that you'll see that most (myself included) chose NOT to spend the money on extended warranties, and would advise you to put aside the money you would have spent on it for any repairs that might come up. In the long run, many would say, you will be further ahead. If you are including the cost of the extended warranty into your financing, it just makes the cost of the extended warranty even more expensive.

Alternately, some can cite examples where they had one single major claim where the extended warranty paid off for them. I suspect that the final decision depends upon your comfort level with assuming risk. That is, after all, why we buy any insurance. I personally do most of my own repairs, so I have never purchased an extended warranty of any type and have never regretted the decision.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Before purchasing the ACE I had a truck and 5th wheel. Both had extended warrentys on them. I saved a bunch of money when the truck needed major repair work. So for me it was worth it. On the other side the 5th wheel needed no repairs so its was kind of a trade off.

When we purchased or ACE I fell into the extended warrenty trap by camping world. I am not saying its bad, but I was not thinking when it was tied into the price. I should have waited till the mfg warrenty was up and then get the Good Sam extened warrenty.

I am not that good about putting money aside for repairs is the main reason for the extended warrenty.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Extended warranties are simply insurance policies. There are many different variations and options, but when it comes down to it.....simply repair insurance.

The only thing I know about an extended plan through CW is that there is a very small deductible if you take it to them for the repair work, and a much larger one if you take it someplace else. Friends of ours have their plan and it has been a nightmare for them. One of the extra hidden costs involves shipping of parts. If you are having an extended warranty covered repair done and they have to order parts, they charge a ton of money for "shipping/handling" to get the parts. On one visit he had several things broke and they were covered under extended warranty. By the time he paid his deductible and "shipping/handling" on numerous parts his bill was over $300.00. So IMHO a CW extended warranty would be the most expensive and worse one to get.

There are a lot of plans out there. I think on a new unit I would let the factory warranty run for 10 months or so and then start shopping around. However it is somewhat of a personal choice. I have just under $2,000 invested in my extended warranty and have never used it. If my generator burned up or my frig went out I would easily recover my costs. But then again I may have this RV for 5 or 6 years and never have a repair.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Negotiate the price if you can. Its like any insurance policy; your betting it will break and their betting it won't. Research the replacement cost of major items and labor. We cancelled our first extended warranty. We're comfortable with our second. Above all; Be at peace with your decision and Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not advocating one way or the other but here is my situation now. Fourth radio was just installed in my coach because the first three kept loosing power while driving. Total invoice cost to include new radio, wiring harness, labor and shipping was 863.00. Because the dealer that sold me the extended service plan is performing the work my cost is 50.00. If I had taken the coach to a different dealer my cost would be 100.00.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

THOR #6433
Thanks for all the input, basically it's a waste of money if you don't use it and if you get a lemon you are glad you got it.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 AM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
THOR #2074
$8700 seems rather high.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:09 AM   #11

State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
I'll assume you've negotiated the extended warranty price. Either way, $8K seems really steep. Read the fine print on any extended warranty to fully understand what is covered (especially around the electronics) and ask questions before you purchase. If the dealer cannot answer your questions with confidence, call the extended warranty company's support line to get clarity before you sign.

Check your insurance for roadside assistance, chances are you maybe paying for it already. Or check other providers such as GoodSam or AAA RV Plus. Unless you think you'll be without an income for a period of time, pass on gap insurance. Lastly, I've had no experience on the tire protection, but I declined given the cost.

I'm okay with minor break/fix stuff, but personally I like the piece of mind of having an extended warranty (at a fair cost) for repairs in years 2-5. Time will tell if it is the right decision.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 31E
THOR #6495
I just bought a 31E today and the offer was for 5800 for 3 yr 70K - I turned it down as Im on the "Ill take the gamble that repairs will be less" but 8500 seems steep even accounting for tire and gap
Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Its not just the $8700.00 but if it is thrown into your payments over the next 10, 20 30 years or so, how much interest does that add up to be? Just in 20 years worth of payments it would be $11580.00, that's $2880.00 more and almost 50 bucks more added to each of your payments.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Like DocP said, you'll get 2 opposing opinions on this. Here's my personal experience, for what it's worth.

Realize that the sales department gets about half of the premium, and that there are LOTS of exclusions. Remember, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away!

I once bought an extended warranty on a nearly new fifth wheel, and it didn't cover the repairs that came up, they were all excluded. Things that were covered didn't need repair.

The key is to budget for repairs, including replacing tires and batteries.

Congrats and good luck to the OP!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
Just so happens I received a extended warranty offer letter from Good Sam today. Visit their website, Good Sam - Quote Starter to get a free quote. Takes about 90 seconds and you'll have a comparison quote.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 AM   #16

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
I purchased a 6 year extended warranty for $3500 for my Axis last January
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #17

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5851
We purchased the extended warranty on our used 2014 Thor ACE 27.1 last September. We paid about 3200 to 3500 dollars for a 8 year 80 thousand mile coverage. It has almost paid for itself already for the items that needed fixing after delivery
Old 02-23-2017, 01:53 AM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I purchased a 6 year extended warranty for $3500 for my Axis last January
Baddad53, who did you buy this from?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #19

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5851
We purchased our RV from LaMesa RV, I would have to check our paperwork on the exact cost of the extended warranty
Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
Baddad53, who did you buy this from?
Purchased the RV and warranty from Camping World Flagstaff at the Quartzsite RV show last Janauary 2016. Local CW (Valencia) would not take my DP in trade. $50 at CW's and $100 anywhere else per visit for repairs.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote