Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
THOR #5060
Fresh Water Tank - Leave some water in? or empty it?

So, I'm a newbie, so no rolling your eyes back when you read this questions

My wife and I just purchased a 2016 Thor Miramar and have been taking a few short 'shakedown trips' to get a feel for things... so far we love the coach and the lifestyle.

Anyway, our current pattern is 2 weeks out and 3 to 6 weeks back home.

The question I have is, what should I do with the water in the fresh water tank between trips? Should I empty it after each trip? or should I leave some water in it - say a 1/3 full?

I'm concerned about the water stagnating...

Thoughts?

kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we've been fulltiming for over two years and have never 'emptied' out water tank, even when parked for months. there is really no 'go bad' time frame for water if it is held in the tank and no 'foreign' objects can get in - as you move in the 'home' you also help keep it from sitting still. Unlike water sitting in a holding pond, exposed to the elements, water in a sealed water tank, not exposed to the sun or outside elements, is perfectly fine for many, many months, if not even longer...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
I agree, also have a Miramar.. I never empty it
Old 09-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I empty mine once a year when I sanitize the fresh water system.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I sometimes add Camco TastePURE Drinking Water Freshener to the tank if I do not empty it and know that it will sit for several weeks.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I sometimes add Camco TastePURE Drinking Water Freshener to the tank if I do not empty it and know that it will sit for several weeks.
Other than for freezing temps, this is best practice. The small amount of chlorine will prevent acquiring a stagnant taste when setting for extended time.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Washington
THOR #5060
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I empty mine once a year when I sanitize the fresh water system.
gbrown,

I noticed that you added a 'Oxygenics Body Spa Shower head'...how do you like it?

We need to do something because the show head water pressure is so low we can barely rinse the shampoo out of our hair.
kdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We are happy with the Oxygenics Shower Head ....it seems like the shower head is, always, one of the first things we change out when we move into a new motorhome !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #9

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
When in hot temperatures I have never attempted to keep fresh water in a plastic tank for more than a month or so at a time. In all of our years of boating we learned that it would get "skanky" during the very warm weather. We would either change it out or add something to it. A little bleach or a product sold at Walmart called Fresh Water will keep it smelling good for showers and such.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I used to believe that the chlorination in my city water would be enough to keep things sanitized.

Did a little research. Not that I put a lot of faith in the govt agency, I found the CDC had some guidelines for water stored.... as in a water pitcher in your fridge.... and the recommended residual chlorine for a relatively short time (on the order of a day or two, can't remember exactly) was higher than what I have coming out of the tap.

Anyway, what I do is keep my tank full. I figure stuff might be a little bit less likely to grow. Also gives me an emergency water supply.
Then when i get ready to go.... if it has been "a while" and IF i have time, I'll dump and refill. Getting ready to go this weekend, and its been sitting about 8 weeks.... so I plan on dumping it. I'm not afraid of it but figure freshening it up won't hurt!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I sanitize my fresh water tank in the spring when I de-winterize the MH, then I put about a quarter to a third of a tank into it. If we are going to have hookups we just leave the water in the tank and use it for water on the road, replacing the water as required.

If we are not going to have hookups I fill the tank. When we are going to have hookups again I drain it down to a quarter full.

I repeat the whole thing again the next year. Never had a problem.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #5158
K,

Even tough we do not own A Miramar yet (Its on the sopping list for the very near future) we installed the Oxygenetics in our current rig and LOVE IT!! One of the best investments you can make in a rig. Especially if you boondock!!
Andy
Old 09-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Words of caution: If you leave water in the tank in hot weather you run a huge risk of growing Legionella in the water, learned about this from reading on CDC and it is a real problem.

Legionella loves warm or hot water and is becoming more common in water systems around the country. Bleach will kill it.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, or making any recommendations to anyone, just want you to be aware it is a real problem. I work in infection control and read reports from facilities around the country, nasty stuff and don't want any of my fellow RVers ill.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
If we are traveling a distance we keep enough water to hold us until we get to our destination, but not full due to the drop in fuel mileage this would cause. We add a couple of Dixie cups of bleach into the water 2 X s a year to avoid contamination and rotten egg smell, then flush thoroughly.