Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34P
State: Georgia
THOR #10866
Extended Warranty at Purchase of MH

I am looking for thoughts and discussion on purchasing the extended warranty at the time of purchase of the motorhome from your dealer. I purchased a new 2018 Thor Hurricane 34P on Feb 16 and elected to purchased there EW from the dealer (CW) at a cost of $4300. I am a first time MH owner and don't know if this is a good price or not. I can cancel the EW and get a refund and then purchase pone as the manufacture warranty come to end.

Thoughts please.

thanks, Steve

US Army Retired
Chief55m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
IMHO, just say no to EW.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Lots of discussions on here about Extended warranties.

The best advice on here is: Say no at the dealer; you have the time during the warranty period to really shop around if you want one.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Buying an extended warrantee, is in reality betting that your coach will fail, insurance co betting it won't. Having said that, if it helps you sleep better at night, then its probably worth it.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Gemini 23TB
State: Mississippi
THOR #8205
Good advice, don't buy at dealer shop around. You can find something cheaper.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #6

State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
We did the same at CW. We quickly realized that their service was very poor. We got the money back in the first 30days.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
It is a personal decision even to have an extended warranty. Do you have plenty of money in savings? Do you just carry liability insurance on your cars and figure if anything happens you can just pay out of pocket for repairs? An extended warranty on a RV is just insurance.

With that being said, I would never buy one from a CW, nor would I pay over $4,000 for one. You should be able to get a 3 to 5 year extended warranty from Cornerstone or one of the other larger companies for around $3,000 or under. There is a huge markup by the dealer when they sell them to you.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I would never buy one... but if I wanted a new motorhome my wife insisted.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
NO NO NO to extended warranty.

Let's say you got suckered into one by the sales talk of how much things cost to replace, like refrigerators, Air Conditioners, etc. You are intimidated by all the systems of this new wonder on wheels. Ok, you were dumb enough to take out a 20 year loan. Salesman says it's only $52.27 per month to get the extended warranty coverage. The warranty starts today, but wait you already have a one year warranty. Now your five year extended warranty becomes a four year warranty. It gets better. You are now five years after you bought your RV and 15 years to go on your loan, still paying that extra $52.27 per month and guess what, you have no warranty.

And that everyone is how it works.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #10

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post

Let's say you got suckered into one by the sales talk of how much things cost to replace, like refrigerators, Air Conditioners, etc. You are intimidated by all the systems of this new wonder on wheels. Ok, you were dumb enough to take out a 20 year loan. Salesman says it's only $52.27 per month to get the extended warranty coverage. The warranty starts today, but wait you already have a one year warranty. Now your five year extended warranty becomes a four year warranty. It gets better. You are now five years after you bought your RV and 15 years to go on your loan, still paying that extra $52.27 per month and guess what, you have no warranty.

That is all true and very logical...however, wives are not always logical. haha Anyway, we plan to keep this RV 5 years before upgrading.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
That is all true and very logical...however, wives are not always logical. haha Anyway, we plan to keep this RV 5 years before upgrading.
Don't forget, the payoff amount includes the purchase price of the extended warranty which you imbedded in the finance amount at time of purchase on which you have only been paying the extra $52.27 for the last 60 months. The $52.27 was based on the unrealistic assumption that you would keep your new RV for 20 years.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:

All true except: Extended warranties start after the factory warranty runs out, so its 6 years later, not 5. (This is why you have that first year to shop around.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #13

THOR #4488
You are also assuming all equipment in the RV has a year warranty...which isn't accurate. You're also assuming the warranty was financed with the RV purchase...also not accurate in my case.

I believe all extended warranties are generally a waste of money and never buy them on my purchases. The exception was the RV because my wife was simply too nervous to make the leap for the new RV.

Generally speaking I believe you insure what you can't afford to replace. Insurance companies are wealthy for a reason. All that said, it lets my wife sleep better knowing it is all "insured". Oh, well.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
You are also assuming all equipment in the RV has a year warranty...which isn't accurate.
True! Some items have a 2 or 3 year warranty.

You may also want to look at the fine print on that extended warranty. Plenty of horror stories about what wasn't really covered or claims denied because you didn't follow the "claims" procedure exactly as spelled out by the EW company.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
We bought the extended warranty, for about 1/4 of the dealership’s “best price.” I got a quote from an independent provider and told the dealer I was going with that company, and the dealer suddenly matched the price. Even told me “we will lose money but it’s worth it to me to make the sale.” Yeah, and I was born at night, but it wasn’t last night.

Mike
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #16

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
True! Some items have a 2 or 3 year warranty.

You may also want to look at the fine print on that extended warranty. Plenty of horror stories about what wasn't really covered or claims denied because you didn't follow the "claims" procedure exactly as spelled out by the EW company.
I don't ever plan to use it. As I said...It was to appease the wife. haha
Old 04-06-2018, 06:34 AM   #17

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
We purchase the extended warranty Camping World dealership where we bought our axis as it was only offered when it was brand new we have a very good Camping World in Spartanburg South Carolina two of the service advisors there said it was probably the best money we ever spent
Old 04-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #18

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Don't forget, the payoff amount includes the purchase price of the extended warranty which you imbedded in the finance amount at time of purchase on which you have only been paying the extra $52.27 for the last 60 months. The $52.27 was based on the unrealistic assumption that you would keep your new RV for 20 years.
The worse thing you can do is include some expensive extended warranty in the financing of an RV. First of all I would act like you are totally against any type of extended warranties until you have finalized the deal and ready to sign. Then slam the brakes on the whole deal and have your better half insist on getting an extended warranty free or you walk.

We didn't get it totally free but we certainly got it marked down, plus we paid cash for it. Kept the Challenger for 18 months before trading and got 1/2 of our money back from the 3 year warranty. We negotiated a similar extended with the next coach and rolled the money over into the new 5 year deal, again we did not include it in the financing.

You can put $3,000 or even $3,500 in a savings account, draw your 2% or 3% interest and at the end of 5 years you may have up close to $4,000. Of course if any of those $2,000 or $3,000 systems go bad, then you may need to add to the maintenance/repair account. It is a gamble either way.

Just look at your individual RV you are purchasing. How complicated or how simple is it? Consider things like the fail rate of different systems. How about if that big new frig has to be replaced does the whole windshield have to be removed to exchange it? How you use your RV should also be taken into account before jumping on an extended warranty. Do you use it just locally in the summer and then store it inside all winter, or are you full time and drive/pull it around the country 15,000 miles a year?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
The worse thing you can do is include some expensive extended warranty in the financing of an RV. First of all I would act like you are totally against any type of extended warranties until you have finalized the deal and ready to sign. Then slam the brakes on the whole deal and have your better half insist on getting an extended warranty free or you walk.

We didn't get it totally free but we certainly got it marked down, plus we paid cash for it. Kept the Challenger for 18 months before trading and got 1/2 of our money back from the 3 year warranty. We negotiated a similar extended with the next coach and rolled the money over into the new 5 year deal, again we did not include it in the financing.

You can put $3,000 or even $3,500 in a savings account, draw your 2% or 3% interest and at the end of 5 years you may have up close to $4,000. Of course if any of those $2,000 or $3,000 systems go bad, then you may need to add to the maintenance/repair account. It is a gamble either way.

Just look at your individual RV you are purchasing. How complicated or how simple is it? Consider things like the fail rate of different systems. How about if that big new frig has to be replaced does the whole windshield have to be removed to exchange it? How you use your RV should also be taken into account before jumping on an extended warranty. Do you use it just locally in the summer and then store it inside all winter, or are you full time and drive/pull it around the country 15,000 miles a year?
That is excellent advice I wish I had a chance to read this before I purchase mine looks like I made a mistake
Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #20

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
I purchased an EW for 2 years at time of purchase at Camping World (Columbia, SC) for $7200. Over time I read the policy and realized that it only covered the coach and not the chassis.

My rig was not new, it was a 2014 Windsport with 62000 miles.

Several months into the warranty I was now comfortable with the systems inside the coach and was doing my own preventive maintenance. I decided to cancel the warranty. Camping World was slow, but they did refund $7200.

This is my 1 year anniversary month and so far no problems inside coach.

I am currently having a sensor replaced at a cost of $665, but it would not have been covered by the warranty anyway.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote