Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 12:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
straight from department of energy

i got lost this morning on the the OPEC talk again. but we are being played again by the admin and big oil.

before nov 2020....we, as in the USA were the #1 oil producer in the world and #1 leading processor of imported oil into other petroleum products, (gas, diesel, DFM, etc) and according to https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=49896
"Motor gasoline exports from the United States reached record highs in May, June, and July for each of these months, according to our Petroleum Supply Monthly (PSM). Summer exports in May, June, and July reflect a departure from the historical seasonality of gasoline exports because gasoline export levels are usually low during the summer.

In May, exports of motor gasoline (the combinationn of exports of finished motor gasoline and motor gasoline blending components) averaged 941,000 barrels per day (b/d), or 276,000 b/d (41%) more than the five-year (2016–2020) average for May. June exports averaged 935,000 b/d, exceeding its five-year average by 230,000 b/d (33%). In July, gasoline exports again averaged 935,000 b/d, exceeding the five-year average for July by 181,000 b/d (24%).

Gasoline exports from the United States are typically highest in the winter and early spring, when domestic gasoline demand is lower and refinery operations continue at the summer and fall pace to meet seasonally higher distillate demand. For that reason, refineries produce more gasoline during the winter and early spring than U.S. consumption, and the extra production contributes to rebuilding seasonal inventories and to sending exports."

so why are we freaking out if opec is not ramping up production as much. and why do we need to tap the strategic reserve? texas, ok, new mexico and La are still producing high rates of crude, although its down considerably from a year ago.

leases did not get cancelled, so why is production lagging here at home? its all bout money i bet

more to follow
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=49596 we are still exporting more crude than is coming in
"Our Petroleum Supply Monthly trade data show that the United States exported more crude oil and petroleum products than it imported during the first half of 2021 by 120,000 barrels per day (b/d), or less than 1% of combined crude oil and petroleum product exports and imports.

The United States was a net importer of crude oil and petroleum products (imported more than it exported) in the first of half of each year until the first half of 2020, when the United States became a net exporter (exported more than it imported) by 432,000 b/d of crude oil and petroleum products. This year marks only the second time the United States has been a net total petroleum exporter in the first half of the year. The United States has been a net exporter of petroleum products alone since 2011.

The United States exports more refined petroleum products than it does crude oil. Petroleum product exports averaged 5.5 million b/d in the first half of 2021, up from 5.3 million b/d in the first half of last year. Exports of petroleum products include motor gasoline, distillate, and propane exports. Both imports and exports of select petroleum products mainly consumed as transportation fuels—distillate fuel oil, motor gasoline, and jet fuel—altogether decreased in 2020 compared with 2019. "

some body is LYING about crude and how much fuel we have...its all bull muffins in respect to domestic supply being so low we have to pay 40 cents
"Propane exports increased in response to more demand for propane in Asia and less demand for propane in the United States. Propane now surpasses distillate fuel oil as the most prevalent U.S. petroleum product export by volume. In the first half of 2021, both imports and exports of petroleum products increased above their levels in the first halves of 2020 and 2019. more today than we did a few months ago."

natural gas ...oh boy sit down,
"Dry natural gas production from shale formations in the Appalachian Basin that spans Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio has been growing since 2008, and monthly production has recently set new record highs. Production in the region reached 32.5 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d) in December 2020, and it averaged 31.9 Bcf/d during the first half of 2021, the highest average for a six-month period since production began in 2008. The Appalachian Basin contains two shale formations, Marcellus and Utica, which accounted for 34% of all U.S. dry natural gas production in the first half of 2021. On its own, the Appalachian Basin would have been the third-largest natural gas producer in the world the first half of 2021, behind Russia and the rest of the United State"

Old 10-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My neighbors daughter is a hard core heroin addict and his son is a basement dweller.
But he knows all about opec and other far away things.
I'll see what he thinks about it. I think his third wife had something to do with it.

And
'You lost me at the bakery'
(That's a fun catch-phrase to look up)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Once again, as with so many things it seems, people seem to forget what was going on in 2020... No one was driving. We had HUGE surpluses of gasoline and oil because... NO ONE WAS DRIVING. Guess what. People are driving again. We're using it domestically again, so there's less to export. To see what's going on, you have to put things into context of the big picture, which can require remembering the rest of the context.

The disruption in natural gas supplies (and resulting price fluctuation) is actually a lot more interesting, and totally non-domestic in origin. Not everything is about us anymore.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Reducing production and blocking increased production wasn't a brilliant idea

The price isn't just because people are driving more, look at the longer term numbers

Going to wake up many people if we have a cold winter given the future's of fuel/nat gas

We had electric prices increased on all three utilities we have service with plus the winter sur charge due to the winter storm

Combined with record inflation things could get interesting by spring
Old 10-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Just a word of caution.

This has the potential to turn political and get shut down fast.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
At least the price of my firewood hasn't become ridiculous... two "heaping" truckloads of "supplemental" firewood cost me $60 per load. I'm happy with that.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #7

THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Reducing production and blocking increased production wasn't a brilliant idea
Reducing production was not the government's idea. That was done by the oil (fracking, mainly) companies during 2020 due to the lower prices. Fracking costs more, so to make money doing it, the price has to somewhat high. Shutting down the wells takes some time to do without damaging them, and starting them back up again also takes time as well as people.

Gas prices are just a little above where they were prior to the pandemic, and still less than they were five or so years ago, even without inflation.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Reducing production was not the government's idea. That was done by the oil (fracking, mainly) companies during 2020 due to the lower prices. Fracking costs more, so to make money doing it, the price has to somewhat high. Shutting down the wells takes some time to do without damaging them, and starting them back up again also takes time as well as people.

Gas prices are just a little above where they were prior to the pandemic, and still less than they were five or so years ago, even without inflation.
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. I had to go back, in a somewhat convoluted way, marrying picture dates with the gas mileage notes (below).

The example is from Sept/Oct 2019 in the places noted on the right. I'm currently seeing prices above 2.97 to well above $3 - geography noted. Pre-pandemic numbers were in the low 2's though I do see where they were relatively high in your neck of the woods.

I don't want to get into splitting hairs, per se, but pre-pandemic v. now is significant depending on your perspective. For you in Ohio, 3.19 might seem fairly close to 2.76 wrt inflation. Where I am, low 2's and even 1.98 wasn't out of the question pre-pandemic but admittedly rare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	34232  
Old 10-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #9

THOR #20900
This site makes it very easy to do comparisons of gas prices over time - both nationally and regionally.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts

The three drop downs can be used to select specific cities. There are some differences regionally, but the overall trends and peaks are just shifted a little.

To see peak prices, before fracking really caught on, click "10 years" for the time range. We're still quite a lot below the average from back then (inflation adjusted) and well below the 2012 peak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-09 12.45.37 PM.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	34233  
Old 10-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
I'm in semi-rural Ohio, and prices last year varied between a low of $2.25 to around average of $2.50.

Since January, prices started creeping quickly up and hung around $3.19 for several months. It's currently $3.05.

So it costs me an additional $50 to fill the MH. I just go out back and pick some cash off the money tree.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #11

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I'm in semi-rural Ohio, and prices last year varied between a low of $2.25 to around average of $2.50.

Since January, prices started creeping quickly up and hung around $3.19 for several months. It's currently $3.05.

So it costs me an additional $50 to fill the MH. I just go out back and pick some cash off the money tree.
Save me some seeds!
Old 10-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

THOR #12189
Quote:
This site makes it very easy to do comparisons of gas prices over time - both nationally and regionally.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts

The three drop downs can be used to select specific cities. There are some differences regionally, but the overall trends and peaks are just shifted a little.

To see peak prices, before fracking really caught on, click "10 years" for the time range. We're still quite a lot below the average from back then (inflation adjusted) and well below the 2012 peak.
I've seem to had a different experience here beginning in Jan. It's trending up but not nearly at the same rate. Possible anomaly but it caused me to make a similar observation as the OP. In Jan, it significantly drops away from the Nat Avg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	34242  
Old 10-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

THOR #20900
Ahh, you picked Ocala. I didn't know what part of Florida, so picked Miami. Obviously, very different part of Florida! (I also included all selections I made in my screen shot to make that clear.)

At any rate, even in Ocala, it's still a far ways off from what it was 7-10 years ago. It's getting there though.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #14

State: Virginia
THOR #13629
Its all about forcing 'green energy' on us

The only way 'green energy' (which really isn't...) will be widely accepted is if its the cheapest alternative. The price of electric storage isn't going to go down anytime soon, so all they can do is raise the cost of fossil fuels.

We are just ways to pay for it.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
You are all correct..massive games played and the rich get richer at our expense
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Old 10-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #16

THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
The only way 'green energy' (which really isn't...) will be widely accepted is if its the cheapest alternative. The price of electric storage isn't going to go down anytime soon, so all they can do is raise the cost of fossil fuels.

We are just ways to pay for it.
But ... There's no electricity shortage in the vast majority of the country, and fuel prices are still below historical levels ...... The price of tinfoil may have gone up though, I haven't checked.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
And here I thought this is an RV related forum?......well, it was in the past.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #20474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
And here I thought this is an RV related forum?......well, it was in the past.
I've spent $1,404 putting gasoline in my RV over the past 7 weeks, so I'd say this is definitely an RV related topic.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
But ... There's no electricity shortage in the vast majority of the country, and fuel prices are still below historical levels ...... The price of tinfoil may have gone up though, I haven't checked.
The tinfoil remark could be taken to refer to tinfoil hats. In which case, you'd be guilty of flaming other forum members for not sharing your view. That gets threads closed, but I think you know that and why you tried (not so hard) to veil your sarcasm.

Just an observation. The moderators may have the last word.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreVeeThereYet View Post
I've spent $1,404 putting gasoline in my RV over the past 7 weeks, so I'd say this is definitely an RV related topic.
We went to Mount Rushmore in August and it cost me right at a $1000 for gas. RVing is a hobby/lifestyle we opted for and comes with a considerable cost.

It's not for everybody's wallet.