Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Briggs and Stratton woke up one day and said "huh...what happened to our business".

I was hoping generators (Onan, Champion, etc) would be like lawnmowers, when Honda came along.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Thanks for the discussion- this is really good.
I was considering the Cummins Onan Generator Exhaust Resonator - 155-2449 but that says its only maybe 1 dB reduction.
I dont want to be installing/removing the Camco Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System every time i drive so thats really not an option for me.
Has anyone added in more dynamat material around their generator to help w/ sound/noise?
I agree that trying to muffle the exhaust is probably not that effective and that adding in more sound deadening material around the generator on the RV would probably be better. It really helped around my dog house in the Thor Vegas.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #23

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That mat will work a bit.
It's more the drum you're feeling than hearing inside the rv.
You can add the mat under the bed but there's the resonance chamber that the floor and top of the generator creates.

You'll need to stuff that with something forgiving and soft.
I think rock wool in zip lock bags would do it.

We haven't had to sleep with the generator on so I'm just shotgunning based on what I thought about when I made the outside baffles.
I had thought about making a baffles from foam insulation board that mounted to the bottom of the rv, having a 2inch gap and the new box sized to the bottom of the generator would let the noise and air from the fan exit under the rear bumper. Easy, and if you do manage to scrape it on the ground, it's just insulation board. If you leave the rear end of it open it'll have a 2x20+ air exhaust exit.

So... With the bottom air baffle and the top gap filled, and maybe a nonresonant mat on the generator/body door...I think it's an hour, 20 bucks and my best solution. And if you're feeling like it, a shmear of mat on the top and sides of the basement might be the best of all. It's like a bass drum in there when the generator runs.

That drivers side bed is coming out soon for some water and electric re-do so I'll probably follow your suit in what needs done under there if you beat me to it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #24

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
That mat will work a bit.
It's more the drum you're feeling than hearing inside the rv.
You can add the mat under the bed but there's the resonance chamber that the floor and top of the generator creates.

You'll need to stuff that with something forgiving and soft.
I think rock wool in zip lock bags would do it.

We haven't had to sleep with the generator on so I'm just shotgunning based on what I thought about when I made the outside baffles.
I had thought about making a baffles from foam insulation board that mounted to the bottom of the rv, having a 2inch gap and the new box sized to the bottom of the generator would let the noise and air from the fan exit under the rear bumper. Easy, and if you do manage to scrape it on the ground, it's just insulation board. If you leave the rear end of it open it'll have a 2x20+ air exhaust exit.

So... With the bottom air baffle and the top gap filled, and maybe a nonresonant mat on the generator/body door...I think it's an hour, 20 bucks and my best solution. And if you're feeling like it, a shmear of mat on the top and sides of the basement might be the best of all. It's like a bass drum in there when the generator runs.

That drivers side bed is coming out soon for some water and electric re-do so I'll probably follow your suit in what needs done under there if you beat me to it.
we have slept with the generator on and its quite annoying with the noise and vibration. I think you are probably right with some sort of combination of damping and baffles between the generator and RV body will help. Please post some pictures of what you do. I doubt i will do anything right now until i have more time to look at it.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
we have slept with the generator on and its quite annoying with the noise and vibration. I think you are probably right with some sort of combination of damping and baffles between the generator and RV body will help. Please post some pictures of what you do. I doubt i will do anything right now until i have more time to look at it.
You can get yourself used to the cacophony by listening to heavy metal music...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #26

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'm with you on the genturi thing...it's not for using every time...I've used mine other than testing exactly twice I think...both times parked close quarters at sun n fun (same as like a rally or a race)

I would assume that dynamat would help.... as would a lot of different kinds of baffles, covers, insulation, etc..
just be careful about heat. These things don't like heat.... a lot of folks, me included, have cut vents into the door so they can get more air. Maybe not an issue in cooler climates, but down South is surely is.

I'll add this, cutting a vent and putting a lover basically opening up the air inlet in the front of the genny, didn't really noticeably increase the dB. My anecdotal experimentation tells me that a lot of the offensive part of the noise comes from the exhaust.

If your worried about disturbing neighbors, then i'd bet you'd get decent results by forming a small wall that could be placed out a few feet away from the generator to block the line of sight...just something solid you could throw out quick and easy like...and perhaps some sort of soft mat on the ground under the genny.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:56 PM   #27

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I installed dynomat and then a layers of the 3/4 foam insulation on top of it (where I could.... Like on the bottom / side of penny, RV Access door, bottom of Genny etc.... I did not block any air vents / bolts etc. Some spots I put 3 or 4 layers of leftover foam insulation in diff sizes to break up sound wave.

Unfortually it did not make any differance OUTSIDE the RV but I think it helped some on the inside some. Luckly I have a large cargo area between my bed and cargo area so With the AC on you cannot here the Generator at all.

I sometime tape cardboard to the RV down to the ground to re-direct the sound. Might Try a mat or Rug under the Genny to help absorb some sound as well.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #28

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I installed dynomat and then a layers of the 3/4 foam insulation on top of it (where I could.... Like on the bottom / side of penny, RV Access door, bottom of Genny etc.... I did not block any air vents / bolts etc. Some spots I put 3 or 4 layers of leftover foam insulation in diff sizes to break up sound wave.

Unfortually it did not make any differance OUTSIDE the RV but I think it helped some on the inside some. Luckly I have a large cargo area between my bed and cargo area so With the AC on you cannot here the Generator at all.

I sometime tape cardboard to the RV down to the ground to re-direct the sound. Might Try a mat or Rug under the Genny to help absorb some sound as well.
I looked over my generator on my Thor vegas 24.1 this weekend and there is about a 1 inch gap on the top between the generator and RV floor. I could install some sound deadening material in there but it would have to be fire resistant/heat resistant. I am not sure how much sound reduction that would result in though and am not sure if that air gap is helpful for cooling for the generator.
Overall- i decided its not worth messing around w/ the generator to try to make it more quiet when i am inside the RV. I really just use it when i need AC (i have a 2000W inverter now for other stuff) so if the AC is going, its so noisy, it really wont matter much.
Thanks for the thoughs/ideas though.